Like Tree127Likes

Thread: gas gauge goes EMPTY!

Mileage
    97,000 miles in Vettes
    Member #
    Liked
    3290 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianDrummer View Post
    Here in Hilo and the rest of the Big Island, the Chevrolet dealerships with "Service Departments" all closed down years ago, here in Hilo there is a Chevy Dealer that only sells cars but does not have a service department. They contract with Big Island Toyota across the street to do all their warranty work.
    What about JN Chevrolet in Honolulu? It may be worth a ferry ride over there... (said from someone who's never even been to Hawaii).

JN Chevrolet in Honolulu offers Chevrolet Parts & Service

JN Chevrolet's service department in Honolulu is prepared to serve your Chevrolet car, truck and SUV maintenance needs. From our online service appointment and parts order forms to our service specials and excellent Chevrolet tire store we are sure to get you back cruising the road in no time! We are great choice when looking for Chevrolet service not only in Honolulu, but all of Hawaii as well. Our highly trained service technicians are standing by, so give them a call at (877) 288-8041 with any questions you have about your service needs today!

Out of curiosity, what are the specific codes that you are getting?
    Current Vettes:
    '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
    '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
    '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust - Ordered on 4-1-2014, 2000 Status on 4-10-2014, TPW 5-12-2014, Built on 5-16-2014, Picked-up at dealership on 5-30-2014
    "Delta t = 23"

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    1023 times
    There is no ferry service, car or passenger, available from the Big Island to Honolulu or any where else. I think the only ferry service now is from Maui to Lanai.

I find it pretty astounding that there is no GM dealer on the island servicing cars.
    Last edited by dwward; 07-11-2016 at 12:31 PM.
    /Don

Diablo Azul, 2015 Laguna Blue /Jet Black Z06 A8 Convertible, created January 27, 2015.

Mileage
    97,000 miles in Vettes
    Member #
    Liked
    3290 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dwward View Post
    I find it pretty astounding that there is no GM dealer on the island servicing cars.
    It's hard to imagine, alright. I guess the Japanese won the war, after all (yes, a poor joke, I know).

It sounds like he'd have to arrange private shipment of the car to Honolulu, which would likely be too expensive to seriously consider.

I'd also have serious reservations about the Toyota dealership, given past experiences there, even though there is likely a simple fix to this problem.
    Current Vettes:
    '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
    '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
    '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust - Ordered on 4-1-2014, 2000 Status on 4-10-2014, TPW 5-12-2014, Built on 5-16-2014, Picked-up at dealership on 5-30-2014
    "Delta t = 23"

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    1023 times
    I don't think he has a choice but to work with the Toyota dealer. This problem is probably easily fixed. So there's that.
    HawaiianDrummer likes this.
    /Don

Diablo Azul, 2015 Laguna Blue /Jet Black Z06 A8 Convertible, created January 27, 2015.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Aloha, Thanks again to all for your concern. Here are the 7 codes that come up. 1st code P0463 Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit High Input. Confirmed. 2nd code P2066 Fuel Level Sensor B Performance. Confirmed. 3rd code P0463 fuel level sensor A circuit high input. pending. 4th code P2066 fuel level sensor B performance. pending. 5th code P0463 Fuel level sensor A circuit high input Permanent. 6th code P2066 fuel level sensor B Permanent. 7th code P0461 fuel level sensor A Circuit Range/Performance. Permanent.
    Then when I use the Bosch Code Reader to erase the codes, it erases 1st 3 codes but will never erase last 4 codes, of which 3 are permanent and 1 is pending.
    I can only surmise that something is broken and those codes can't be erased until everything is replaced or fixed. (and even though the check engine display goes away and gauge tries to register 1/2 full when it is actually a full tank, The check engine symbol and empty gas gauge always returns after restarting the engine again.)....just frustrating with a new car and only 3,440 miles on it!
    Last edited by HawaiianDrummer; 07-12-2016 at 12:24 AM.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    1023 times
    I'd call the service manager at Toyota, give him codes you have in hopes that they can figure it out with GM ahead of your visit and have the parts which I'm guessing they will have to order. Hopefully, this will save you several days of having your car sitting in Hilo waiting on parts.

Good luck!
    /Don

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Aloha, Bad news today, took it to the Toyota dealership, they said "they are not certified to work on corvettes, they only do oil changes"... I then called J.N. Chevrolet and talked with their service manager, after checking into it she called me back and said correct Toyota is not certified, and "No, she will not pay for shipping the car to Honolulu under warranty." She asked me if I know of any good mechanics that could work on it for me here on the Big Island, Hawaii that she might be able to get Chevrolet to reimburse me for their work,and I told her no I don't know any, and if I did find someone how reliable are they, I wouldn't know. LOOKS like I have to see how much money it would cost to ship it there and back so J.N. Chevrolet can replace the fuel senders under warranty. I'm at a loss.

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    4336 times
    I thought GM would not let a dealership sell a Corvette unless they were certified to do warranty work on it.

Why not ask for the dealership to get GM to send a technician from Oahu to the big island with a box of the parts he would need?
    Mobius likes this.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rdslon01 View Post
    I thought GM would not let a dealership sell a Corvette unless they were certified to do warranty work on it.
    J N Chevrolet where I bought my car IS certified and DOES work on their cars, but I live on another of the 7 major Islands of the State of Hawaii. Sort of like buying a car in Ohio and then moving to Michigan, and expecting the dealer in Ohio to pay for shipping your car from Michigan to Ohio to be worked on. No business does that. It's just difficult because they closed the Chevy dealerships that had service departments on the Big Island where I live.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Aloha, I took a look under the back carpet to see if there are any "access doors to get to top of gas tank(s) to remove sender units" but I did not see any unless it was tucked on the far driver's side that I couldn't see. If there were I'm technical enough to replace sender units, I just would not dismantle the rear and underside that I can't easily get to without building low profile ramps. Have any of you ever tried replacing the sender unit? David

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    On the older vetts we would drill a hole in the body to access the senders. Not some thing that you want to do here.

Member #
    Liked
    821 times
    This sucks.....I would call GM customer service. There has to be an alternative to get your car repaired. I find it astounding that GM would sell cars at a location and then leave the customer to his/her own devices for repair work when the car is under warranty! Start calling GM and don't give up until they find a way to repair your car or have them buy it back, because they can't fix it! Don't take NO for an answer! Be a huge pain in their axx!
    2015 AW 7M
    Procharger Supercharger, D1
    Kooks Headers/X-pipe
    Corsa "Extreme" Axle Back with black tips
    XO Luxury Verona wheels on Michelin 265/30/20s and 305/30/20s
    Alky Control Meth Injection System

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    4336 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianDrummer View Post
    J N Chevrolet where I bought my car IS certified and DOES work on their cars, but I live on another of the 7 major Islands of the State of Hawaii. Sort of like buying a car in Ohio and then moving to Michigan, and expecting the dealer in Ohio to pay for shipping your car from Michigan to Ohio to be worked on. No business does that. It's just difficult because they closed the Chevy dealerships that had service departments on the Big Island where I live.
    Ah, that explains it!
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    374 times
    I googled "Chevy Dealers Ninole, Hawaii" came up with DeLuz Chevrolet. Where am I going wrong? If they don't service your Vette would thyat not be an issue for GM Customer Service?
    Last edited by Fleet; 07-16-2016 at 01:05 PM.
    2015, Z51 MRC, white Coupe, 3LT Kalahari, 7m since 2/4/15
    03 Z06 Black/Black 12 Years
    89 Z51white/tan coupe 6m 14 Years
    84 white/red coupe 4+3m 4 Year
    84 white/red coupe Auto 1 Year
    80 white/tan coupe 4m 4 Years
    69 427 white/black coupe 4m 10 Years

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    My C7 had the gauges in both tanks replaced. It is quite a bit of work (under warranty). Luckily while they were taking everything apart the saw that the bell housing was cracked and replaced that also. They had Ronin for several weeks last August.
    Hidden Content
    New Ronin: 2014 C7 Z51 3LT Convertible 7 Speed Manual
    Laguna Blue/Carbon Flash Dual Stripes-Spoiler-Mirrors/Adrenaline Red
    Black Wheels/Red Calipers/Competition Sport Bucket Seats
    Performance Exhaust/Magnetic Ride/MF Trim/Carbon Fiber Dash (installed after)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links