Like Tree69Likes

Thread: All-New 8L90 8-Speed Automatic Transmission

Mileage
    Broke-in and Breaking Out!!!
    Member #
    Liked
    327 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Havingfun View Post
    In Europe, it's not a sports car if it is automatic. That's for old folks. In the Netherlands, you have to take your driver license exam in a manual car, otherwise the license is restricted to automatic cars only. That's embarrassing...
    How dare you call me old.

Now get off my lawn! LOL

Seriously, I drive an automatic cuz I drive a truck for years. I'm over the "shifting thing".

Besides, automatics are faster and I'd rather both hands on the wheel when I'm carving corners.
    Henry427 and cutnout like this.

Gold Supporting Member
    Gold Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    if one drives in downtown San Francisco or hills around Seattle then they will love the automatic. Charlie aka cutnout
    Liner Boy likes this.
    2017 convertible W/Z51, 3LT, auto, chrome wheels, magnetic ride control W/PTM, wifi, remote start, Black Rose, Kalahari/ Black top --Found at a dealer (forum supporter) delivered April 10, 8 miles on the odometer. Charlie

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    4178 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cutnout View Post
    if one drives in downtown San Francisco or hills around Seattle then they will love the automatic. Charlie aka cutnout
    What's that?

Name:  Nob-Hill.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  191.0 KB
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Gold Supporting Member
    Gold Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    I drove a 5 speed 280 ZX to the top of the hill and caught a light red with a guy on my rear bumper--kinda dicey when the light turned green. Charlie aka cutnout
    rdslon01 likes this.
    2017 convertible W/Z51, 3LT, auto, chrome wheels, magnetic ride control W/PTM, wifi, remote start, Black Rose, Kalahari/ Black top --Found at a dealer (forum supporter) delivered April 10, 8 miles on the odometer. Charlie

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    4178 times
    Yeah, the funny thing is that the picture above (of California Street looking west toward Nob Hill) was a street that never even caused me to break a sweat.

On the other hand, I remember the first time I ever went up to Nob Hill. I was northbound on Taylor Street. If you are familiar with it, you know how the slope gets steeper the closer you get to the top. It had been raining that day, and the streets were still wet. When I first started up, I had no idea that it would get steeper the higher I got. Then I had to stop at the top for traffic. Man, you can talk about a boy sending up some prayers...
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    'Back in the day' (1970) I went to school in SF and owned a 67' GTO 4 spd. On a wet day going up Taylor I would break traction and could not get to the top. Of course the really bad skinny radial bias tires did not help much, but, it is a street than can give manual drivers a challenge!
    rdslon01 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I just upgraded to the 2017 and has a noticeable difference but I still catch myself missing the manual

Member #
    Liked
    55 times

All-New 8L90 8-Speed Automatic Transmission

Quote Originally Posted by slidinvette View Post
    I just upgraded to the 2017 and has a noticeable difference but I still catch myself missing the manual
    Of course you do. If you look at Porsches on the used market, and you think its a good price, there's usually a reason: AUTOMATIC. Over the coming years on the used market for the Corvette, the same will be true, despite what the new car salespeople at the dealers tell you.
    George likes this.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    I had my 2015 Z51 in service 2 times trying to eliminate the hard "jerk" into gear on the first shift of the day. The third time they replaced the transmission. That was 2 months ago, and it starting to shift hard again. GM paid over $900 for a rental car then. I'd like to get it right this time. I'm getting gun shy of driving it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    There is a lot of information here. No small wonder that there have been some teething issues with this tranny and its related control systems.
    All-New 8L90 8-Speed Automatic Transmission
    2015 Arctic White/Adrenaline Red, Z51 Coupe, 3LT, 8 speed auto, Mag Ride, PDR, Red Calipers, Black Wheels, CF Badge/Spoiler/Mirror/Hood Stinger, Navigation,

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    4178 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
    I had my 2015 Z51 in service 2 times trying to eliminate the hard "jerk" into gear on the first shift of the day. The third time they replaced the transmission. That was 2 months ago, and it starting to shift hard again. GM paid over $900 for a rental car then. I'd like to get it right this time. I'm getting gun shy of driving it.
    Kawika, although I don't think everyone should have this done, I do think your car is a prime candidate.

Check out the following TSB: A8 Transmission Owners The TSB Everyone Should Have Done.

Member #
    Liked
    1361 times
    Quote Originally Posted by corvetter View Post
    If you look at Porsches on the used market, and you think its a good price, there's usually a reason: AUTOMATIC. Over the coming years on the used market for the Corvette, the same will be true, despite what the new car salespeople at the dealers tell you.
    Not sure I understand. Why would more people want a manual on a used C7 while more want an automatic on a new C7? Why wouldn't the used car market parallel the new car market in that regard?
    Last edited by Boomer; 05-05-2017 at 08:09 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    448 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Not sure I understand. Why would more people want a manual on a used C7 while more want an automatic on a new C7? Why wouldn't the used car market parallel the new car market in that regard?
    I believe his point was, when autos become the only new car option, the manuals might very well hold their value better as there will continue to be many who prefer the manuel. The Barrett Jackson folks, along with other car auction people have stated that this is already happening with some cars.
    Boomer likes this.
    Hidden Content '15 Z51 COUPE Shark Grey 2lt Blk Int. 7spd , Mag Ride, Body Color Vents, Carbon Flash Badges, Navigation/PDR, X-pel film, Lashway Motorsports rocker skirts, TSW Nurburgring wheels, shark grey lower rear body panel, UV window tint.

'13 Blue Diamond 60th Anniversary '427' (1 of 97 w/unique stripe delete w/machine face wheels) custom painted wheel hubs, Xpel film, UV window tint, American Hydrocarbon engine bay dress up, door sill guards

Member #
    Liked
    1361 times
    Gotcha. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    It's not just Porsches but BMW, Audi's, JDM, used Vettes etc are all going higher in used market with manual transmission.

I've heard someone explain their take on it and I agree with their point. Essentially, lot of the people (not all) that can afford $80k+ sports cars aren't really car enthusiasts and loyal to that specific brand. (We on the forums are really small % of people who drive these cars) They just like the car in general and majority of them opt out for automatic transmission.

Now, when the car becomes 5+ years and $80k car becomes $45k, it opens the opportunity for lot of enthusiast to buy it at that price range and majority of them want manual, hence why the in the used car market three pedals are typically priced higher.
    Boomer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1361 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Djoker View Post
    Now, when the car becomes 5+ years and $80k car becomes $45k, it opens the opportunity for lot of enthusiast to buy it at that price range and majority of them want manual, hence why the in the used car market three pedals are typically priced higher.
    Interesting. Thanks.
    Djoker likes this.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Sponsored Links