• 1 Post By Mobius
  • 1 Post By Manta-C7
  • 2 Post By rdslon01

Thread: 20 mm (~3/4") Spacers for Z51 Stock Wheels and Tires

Member #
    Liked
    198 times

20 mm (~3/4") Spacers for Z51 Stock Wheels and Tires

I've been thinking about adding spacers in all 4 wheels of my Stingray, I have z51 wheels, tires, and suspension and have lowered it all the way on stock bolts. Found a lot here about 6 mm spacers but nothing about 20 mm or anything greater than 6 mm for that matter. I'm worried about 20 mm or 3/4" being too much and getting fender rub; any experience with that much offset or wheels/tires that stick out that much relative to stock setup?
    Last edited by Manta-C7; 05-19-2017 at 12:59 PM.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    14k+
    Member #
    Liked
    7724 times
    I'd be concerned about the additional torque you would be putting on hubs/axles.
    Milliwatt Rob likes this.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Member #
    Liked
    302 times
    You've got to consider that if it was a good idea, why didn't GM design it into the C7? I'm sure the engineers didn't narrow the stance to make it look worse. When they did widen it, they went to the GS/Z06 widebody.

Yeah, having the wheels and tires stick out more looks good, at the expense of more strain, possible rubbing, and rock chips.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Mileage
    C7 16,000 miles
    Member #
    Liked
    2224 times
    Would using these spacers mean that your wheels were being held on with 3/4 of an inch fewer threads?
    Mobius and elegant like this.
    Order placed Sept 16 2014, Roadster, 2LT, Z51 mag ride, 8AT, PDR/NAV. Night Race Blue, Jet Black interior, Red Calipers, Carbon Flash Badges.
    wrapped in Xpel Ultimate, came home Oct 31. Using Range AFM Suppression
    "The Beast"

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    4677 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
    Would using these spacers mean that your wheels were being held on with 3/4 of an inch fewer threads?
    That is an excellent point that would have me concerned.

SF
    Rick
    2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Masterpiece, Torch Red, Jet Black Interior. Delivered to our home on 2 March 2014 from MacMulkin Chevrolet, Nashua, NH.
    Options: 2LT Package, 6-Speed Automatic Transmission, Chrome Wheels, Performance Exhaust, Navigation, Transparent Roof, Red Brake Calipers, Battery Protection.
    Mods: FormulaOne Performance Tint, CQuartz Sealant, XPEL Ultimate Protection Film (Hood, Front Fenders, Bumper, Mirrors, Headlights, Door Handle Cups, Door Seals), RPI Jack Pucks, WeatherTech Floor Liners.

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    4178 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jsvette View Post
    I'd be concerned about the additional torque you would be putting on hubs/axles.
    I totally agree, Jeff. I think it should kill the warranty on the hubs and axles for sure. I don't think it would be a stretch for GM to deny a warranty claim on the rear differential either, if such a spacer were installed on the rear.
    elegant likes this.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Exec. Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    15273 times
    As well as also denying warranty coverage for all bearings, suspension bushings, etc.

The key issue of course is, # 1, that unless the wheel studs are replaced with 3/4" longer ones, not enough thread to safely hold on the wheels -- risk of a wheel flying off and a crash, and second, if Manta-C7 is at all concerned about warranty retention.

Many who use wheel spacers do so after first installing commensurate longer/stronger wheel studs.
    Manta-C7 likes this.
    John

Fortunate owner of "WRP SPD," our Z06! [7M, stage 2+ coupe]. List of mods here:
    Hidden Content

Lifetime & Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum!

Mileage
    95,000 miles in Vettes
    Member #
    Liked
    3232 times
    There's another option for wider wheels - using radical camber. You might be the first to have their C7 rigged-up this way.

Oh, and I'm sure it won't have any influence on warranty*.

Name:  camber.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  23.2 KB

*Disclaimer
    Mobius does not intend this information to be legal advice. By providing this information, Mobius is not acting as your lawyer. If you need legal advice, you should contact a lawyer.
    meyerweb likes this.
    Current Vettes:
    '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
    '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
    '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust - Ordered on 4-1-2014, 2000 Status on 4-10-2014, TPW 5-12-2014, Built on 5-16-2014, Picked-up at dealership on 5-30-2014
    "Delta t = 23"

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Ok, I should have said adapter instead of spacer (see pic below). This type bolts on to the hub and provides a new set of studs and a new hub lip. So, no short thread engagement.

Hub is bolted to the knuckle, so knuckle takes the heat, don't see a problem there. Axles and beyond should not see any load coming from the extra moment this extension will create b/c of the CV joint articulation. Loads on ball joints and lower/upper arms can be neglected b/c 3/4 is small compared to the lengths of knuckle and arms, no concern there.

I do see that the more offset one adds the outer hub bearing (smaller) taking more load than the inner (larger) and I know it will take a toll on its life. This is the biggest effect IMO, bearings are cheap though.

Anyway, my point is rub, imagine I still have the same factory offset but the wheel/tire extends 3/4 to 1 further out on a car lowered to the max on stock bolts; will it rub?

Name:  Bolt-on 20 mm Spacers.JPG
Views: 46
Size:  69.3 KB

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    There's another option for wider wheels - using radical camber. You might be the first to have their C7 rigged-up this way.

Oh, and I'm sure it won't have any influence on warranty*.

Name:  camber.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  23.2 KB

*Disclaimer
    Mobius does not intend this information to be legal advice. By providing this information, Mobius is not acting as your lawyer. If you need legal advice, you should contact a lawyer.
    You are killing me man, lucky you have that disclaimer! I'll get you one of these days. Oh, already got you, you had to pick a green car as an example too.

This is what I'm talking about:

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 46
Size:  74.7 KB
    Last edited by Manta-C7; 05-19-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    Mobius likes this.

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    4178 times
    In the past I noticed how little clearance that I have from the tires to the car's body when the front wheels are turned through the range of their left-to-right motion.

Since your wheels would be extended out, I would think you would only have to concern yourself with the face of the wheel which you can see easily.

Turn your wheels all the way to one side. Inspect the clearance you have on the side of the wheel facing out toward you. Imagine that outward-facing face of the wheel being extruded out toward you by 20 mm. Would it hit anything?

Turn your wheels a little bit, and take another look. Keep doing that until you finally reach full wheel lock of the steering wheel in the other direction.

Did it look like you would have enough space?

Also, now consider the decrease in clearance which would occur if your suspension were under more compression from a bump in the road while you were turning your wheels in a curve.

The back wheels will be easier to evaluate. All you have to concern yourself with there is the suspension compression. Also, at least on my car, there is more room in the wheel well back there to begin with because those wheels don't turn side-to-side.
    Mobius and Manta-C7 like this.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rdslon01 View Post
    Also, now consider the decrease in clearance which would occur if your suspension were under more compression from a bump in the road while you were turning your wheels in a curve
    This is the one that looks like it may happen. I wonder if anybody has installed wheels 10" front and 11.5" or 12" rear, that will be the equivalent. I read about 10" front and 11" back w/o problems.
    Last edited by Manta-C7; 05-19-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Sponsored Links