Stingray Corvette Forum banner

I Just Love It.....Replacing Tires Time

7K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  johnu 
#1 · (Edited)
So I have the '16 on the lift at home and Stan (salvageman) says, "you see your tread?" Yowza! I see cord on the inner side of the left tire, the other getting close to showing.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Auto part
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Auto part

So a deep pocket maneuver later...........

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Synthetic rubber Automotive wheel system
Tire Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Tread Auto part

Breaking these tires from the wheel is no picnic. Watched the road force balance evolution and how the weights are determined for a balanced wheel. Papers reflect the road force balance, both passed.

Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Rim
Technology Electronic device Automated teller machine Machine Electronics
Electronics Technology Electronic device Screen Display device
Electronics Screen Technology Electronic device Automated teller machine
Sky Horizon Nature Sunset Sunrise
Text Document Paper Font Receipt

Next.......to the alignment rack, a must when putting on new tires. Papers show the before and after alignment numbers, the before, not too bad, nothing in the red, so the previous alignment was holding up well. The after, almost all in the center.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Alloy wheel
Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Automotive tire Spoke
Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Automotive tire Rim
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automobile repair shop
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Sports car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Wheel Automotive wheel system

Text Diagram Design Plan Games
Blue Light Sky Technology Electric blue

Front end adjusting points.......caster and camber.

Auto part Automotive fuel system Vehicle Engine Automotive exterior

Toe adjusting point.

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system

All and all, not a bad day, got to chit chat a bit with the owner, salesfolks, service writers, and picked the tech's brain (very knowledgeable) and was quite entertained by the staff (they knew I was there, especially when I cranked up the Z in the shop). I even drove it on and off the alignment rack, had to use specially designed 2x6 lengths to accommodate a smooth evolution on and off the rack ramps.

Seeing no out of the ordinary tire wear on the before printout, I'm guessing just a little too much spirited driving at VIR may have contributed to the wear, plus 16,000+ miles. Rear tires, great shape.

I appreciated the extra care given with the car by the tech, an appropriate gratuity was given. They have good coffee there too. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Norm, I just gotta love ya bro! You make a day at the tire shop fun and entertaining! Take it easy on those new tires ... them's some expensive shoes. I know I bought a set!

#3 ·
Norm, that outer wear must have been while you were wheeling around the track. How often do you check your tire pressure manually compared to glancing at your DIC reading? I check ours manually once a month and the DIC at least once a week. I'm glad that you replaced those tires they are the most important part of the vehicle. When are you heading to VIR again to break in those new tires?

SF
Rick

#6 ·
How often do you check your tire pressure manually compared to glancing at your DIC reading? I check ours manually once a month and the DIC at least once a week.
I just keep the DIC on tire pressure all the time. Got used to that when I had to keep an eye on a slow leak. What differences, if any, do you see between the DIC reading and the manual check?

#10 ·
14,000 miles on my Stingray with no track driving and verified factory alignment resulted in worn inner fronts too. Per Paul Koerner, set camber at 0 if you want even wear. If you're only super aggressive driving is infrequent track use and you want to extend the life of the tires, then align for street at 0 camber for normal use and then have the alignment adjusted for track use when you go to the track.

#11 ·
Jeremy, could you pm me the numbers that you're recommending for alignment, (street use only). I'm having an alignment done this coming spring, our OEM tires are still in excellent shape.

SF
Rick

Reactions: jagamajajaran
#15 ·
This is why this forum is so helpful. I Just hit 20K and not scheduled for a trip to the dealer until next month. Prior to reading this thread I would have said the fronts look like they would go another 5K.... viewed when pointed straight!. After going through the thread, I got off my fat a** and went to check the tires more closely. After turning the steering wheel lock to lock, the inside tread is clearly more worn then the outside. I'll be lucky to get another 1K on the fronts.

Thanks!

#16 ·
The question now becomes: do I keep the alignment at OEM specs when replacing the tires. I had a similar ware pattern with the C5 Z06 and never varied the alignment from factor specifications. The original Goodyear’s got just under 20K. The best was Bridgestone’s at 25K (Goodyear and Michelin no longer made OEM replacements for the Z06)

#17 ·
#18 ·
28,000 miles on a base model. I picked up a bolt and when checked the boys a Discount Tire said it was below the minimum they are allowed to fix a tire...quare the inside is worn. I've got a lot of thread left. The screw is in pretty square and only losing 1/2 lb of air a day. Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Auto part Gas

#21 ·
28,000 miles on a base model. I picked up a bolt and when checked the boys a Discount Tire said it was below the minimum they are allowed to fix a tire...quare the inside is worn. I've got a lot of thread left. The screw is in pretty square and only losing 1/2 lb of air a day. View attachment 130385
Agreed, plug it!

Reactions: Mobius
#22 ·
A not so funny thing happened on my way to have two front tires replaced and have an oil change: Unknowingly I picked up a braid in the left rear tire. Thinner then a finishing nail, a plug is not applicable (Unless you drill a hole in the tire)

I dropped off the car in the AM on a FRIDAY. Rather then waiting I went to breakfast with my lovely. Just before finishing the meal I checked on the car through the On-Star app. It was clear the car was done but my left rear tire was couple of pounds less then the other three. Being anal I assumed that these guys did not know how to read a tire gage and said as much when I picked up the car. I was nice about it but there was no mistaken the message of dealer incompetence.

Humbly, I returned Monday with the left tire near flat. The moral as always is Don't ASSUME because it makes an a***......etc..

Reactions: U.S. Marine
#24 ·
John, I would give it a shot from a good ole tire plug, at least get that darn bolt out of there it makes your C7 masterpiece angry. :mad: It's like a lion with a thorn in its paw.

SF
Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.