Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: New to the Corvette Ownership world from Decatur, IL

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times

New to the Corvette Ownership world from Decatur, IL

Hello everyone! I jut recently bought my first Corvette last Friday as my Graduation and 23rd Birthday gift to myself and I absolutely LOVE it! Any advice for a new Corvette owner? I've been reading on the forum for some time now (about a year) before joining when I bought my own. So far I only really have 2 questions and I have read some answers on here but literally ALL the photos are gone from my phone so I can't really figure out what to do..

1) This was recently but I hear like a popping or crackling noise right above the drivers side door around where the removable roof latches in. I have scheduled an apt with the local Chevy dealer (my '14 has 4,000 miles and still has 6 months on the bumper-to-bumper) hoping they can fix it under warranty. Thoughts?

2) This may be stupid but I'm willing to accept people telling me that since I'm young and dumb I need to read better and learn more but that's mostly why I'm here.
    I've heard the Z51 Brakes will squeal when stopping ( 7 mph down to stop) is this a real problem? I've heard that performance brakes do this and I'm willing to accept this as "normal" but wanted to have someone give me a good sit-rep I'd love to read it.

Thank you in advance for helping a newbie understand what's normal and what isn't,

Best Regards,

Blake.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    12k+
    Member #
    Liked
    7562 times
    Welcome to our forum Blake and congrats on your Z51! The creaking top may be caused by it not latched properly, or the gasket being caught. Have you removed it, inspected the gasket all the way around, and relatched it? If that does not resolve it, there has been an upgrade in the pins and latch mechanism that can be retro fitted. Check with you dealer. As to brake squeal, not a functional problem if that is what you mean.
    HawaiianDrummer likes this.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    4117 times
    Brake squeal will not be a problem if you "burnish" them (also some people call this "bedding" or performing a "bed-in" procedure). Just search the forum for those keywords and you will find several threads with instructions.
    HawaiianDrummer likes this.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    Welcome. I've had no issues with squeaky brakes on my Z but that doesn't mean it's not normal for these brakes.
    2015 Z51/ 3LT/ torch red/ adrenaline red interior/ chrome wheels/ red brake calibers/ 8 speed automatic/ MSRC/ performance exhaust/ battery protection. Accessories include red indoor vehicle cover/cargo mat/premium carpeted floor mats.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Thank you! This has been very helpful. Anyone else reading please feel free to add to the thread. I look forward to being part of the community! I will reply on here once I know more from the dealer.
    Boomer likes this.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    4117 times
    Also, let me say congratulations on graduating and getting your graduation present!

My car was also a graduation present to myself, but the delay in receipt of the present was over a decade.
    Boomer likes this.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Thank you! It's where my heart has been for a long time.
    rdslon01 likes this.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    350 times
    1) Creaking, pops etc. will be the removable top. Although I have not had any problems with my 2015 Z51's top, previous experience with my coupes of the past suggest the top. There is a whole thread on how to fix unruly removable top noises.

2) Never experienced squeaking brakes. Burnishing the brakes is a good suggestion.
    2015, Z51 MRC, white Coupe, 3LT Kalahari, 7m since 2/4/15
    03 Z06 Black/Black 12 Years
    89 Z51white/tan coupe 6m 14 Years
    84 white/red coupe 4+3m 4 Year
    84 white/red coupe Auto 1 Year
    80 white/tan coupe 4m 4 Years
    69 427 white/black coupe 4m 10 Years

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    4117 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Beburton94 View Post
    Thank you! It's where my heart has been for a long time.
    There are some threads around here about, "Tell how you first fell in love with Corvette" and other similar topics. It would be cool if you post your story in one of them.

Here is one such thread: What caused you to become interested in a Corvette?
    Beburton94 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing some good discussions.
    Beburton94 and elegant like this.
    Hidden Content
    Why Things Happen in Auto Industry

Member #
    Liked
    1318 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Beburton94 View Post
    This may be stupid but I'm willing to accept people telling me that since I'm young and dumb I need to read better and learn more but that's mostly why I'm here.
    Congrats on the new C7 and more significantly, the graduation. You can't be young and dumb if you got a C7 at 23 along with your degree. However let me say, be safe and careful with it.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    4117 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Dog View Post
    Welcome. I've had no issues with squeaky brakes on my Z but that doesn't mean it's not normal for these brakes.
    For what it is worth, my Z did make some brake noises for a little while, but I burnished them with the same method I have used on other cars. I don't use the same method that you usually read about, but it gets the same job done with the same end result. Anyway, I don't have problems now with brake noises.
    Beburton94 likes this.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Thank you! I'll check it out!

Member #
    Liked
    3201 times
    I had the same roof noise. If you don't get satisfaction from the dealer here is an easy fix:

Name:  20170420_205800.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  1.03 MB

I bought these at Lowe's. Put one on each post with a little light grease.
    Paul

2015 1LT, Blade Silver, A8, ZF1, Transparent Top, NPP exhaust, Red Calipers, Carbon Flash Mirrrors, Spoiler and Stinger Stripe.

MODs: Black Chrome Wheels, OEM Z06 Splitter, Z06 Grille with Blade Silver Ducts, Stage 2 Rocker Skirts. Z51 Sway Bars

NATIONAL CORVETTE MUSEUM MEMBER

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    9758 times
    Congrats, welcome aboard. You may want to clean your seals where the roof and body marry, both sides. After a good cleaning, inside the crevices as well, put a coat of dielectric grease on all rubber surfaces.

Ever Take Your Roof Off?
    '16 Black Z06, 2LZ A8, Two Toned AR & Ebony Int., Silver w/red trim Racing Stripes
    '75 Bright Blue Stingray, L-82, A3, Custom Blue & Black Int.
    Member: NCM, CCC, FSCC, BCCSD, CCCUK

Hidden Content USA USN USMC USCG USAF USAR USNR USMCR USCGR USAFR ARNG ANG AUS CSA NOAA USPHS USMM Police/Fire/EMS/EMT.....
    Thank You For Your Service

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links