Corvette Plant Officially Announces Summer/Fall Shut Down - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Corvette Plant Officially Announces Summer/Fall Shut Down

Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Busa Dave View Post
    VERY VERY POSITIVE NEWS!!!!!! Time to move on bring out the latest technological improvements available. For me as well as a lot of others the old rear wheel, pushrod front engine "old school" mentality needs to be replaced with the next generation sports car ASAP! It seems that GM has through whatever means sensed this and is moving forward sooner than later with innovation that will keep the Corvette very relevant into the future!

If they want to continue to build the old fashioned C7's for a short while fine as long as it does not interfere with the deployment of the high performance version of the mid engine car. That is what I cannot wait to get my hands on. Will probably be a couple of years but am sure it will be worth the wait.
    Will you like it the same when there's no manual?
    elegant likes this.

Mileage
    95,000 miles in Vettes
    Member #
    Liked
    3240 times
    This plant shut-down story sounds very familiar...

General Motors plans to idle Corvette production in Kentucky for six months to prepare for the next generation of the iconic sports car.

"With this car, because it's such a dramatic change, we felt like the best thing to do was to halt production so we could completely overhaul the interior of (the) Bowling Green (plant) to get ready for the new car," he said.

New Corvette so different, GM will shut down plant to retool
    Last edited by Mobius; 01-30-2017 at 05:23 PM. Reason: added link
    Current Vettes:
    '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
    '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
    '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust - Ordered on 4-1-2014, 2000 Status on 4-10-2014, TPW 5-12-2014, Built on 5-16-2014, Picked-up at dealership on 5-30-2014
    "Delta t = 23"

Member #
    Liked
    453 times
    Quote Originally Posted by corvetter View Post
    Will you like it the same when there's no manual?
    I have a highly modified Z06 now that is automatic. For me the days of the standard are dead and gone. In fact, the automatic was the primary reason I bought this car.
    Last edited by Busa Dave; 01-31-2017 at 07:15 AM.
    Liner Boy, elegant and BOBSZO6 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Exec. Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    15286 times
    If we are looking for quickest acceleration, it is an automatic, and if we are looking for best fuel economy, that too is an automatic on most vehicles and will even be true on a Corvette in a few years.

However, I will row my own as long as there is a manual trans Corvette available. I do not need to be the fastest, nor get the best fuel economy, but for me to have fun, I need to shift.

Us 33% Corvette shifting dinosaurs, and only 7% shifting all brand/all model dinosaurs, will become extinct. It is inevitable, but that does not mean us happy dinosaurs, before we go extinct, won't more-enjoy shifting our transmissions.

Name:  IMG_9723.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  68.0 KB
    Last edited by elegant; 01-31-2017 at 10:52 PM.
    John

Fortunate owner of "WRP SPD," our Z06! [7M, stage 2+ coupe]. List of mods here:
    Hidden Content

Lifetime & Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum!

Gold Supporting Member
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    I'm losing track.... I drive her every chance I get!
    Member #
    Liked
    818 times
    I'm with you elegant. My foot is messed up, and my knee is messed up, but if I am going twisty driving, in want to shift myself. That is all the fun!

It'll be sad at the Museum with no museum deliveries all those months. When that happens, do they park other 'museum' inventory on Corvette Blvd?
    elegant likes this.
    Suzy
    SUZZETE the Corvette, 2015 2LT Z51 Coupe, Black leather with suede inserts, MRC, NAV/PDR + RPI ZR7 Stage II skirts
    Order entry 9/18, Buyer's Tour Oct 13 & 14 - born 7:40a 10/14/14 Hidden Content Delivered 11/21/14

Exec. Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    15286 times
    Good question. Do not know for sure what is displayed on Corvette Blvd during those times. Anyone remember what happened last time when the C6 ended -- while the Plant was transitioning, with a major line renovation, to C7 production (between mid-Feb., 2013 and late September that year)?

Know that the Museum has a separate building for "overflow storage of vehicles," so perhaps some of those are brought over, displayed on the Blvd.
    Last edited by elegant; 02-08-2017 at 06:44 PM.
    John

Fortunate owner of "WRP SPD," our Z06! [7M, stage 2+ coupe]. List of mods here:
    Hidden Content

Lifetime & Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links