ZR1 To Reveal Active Aero Package?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By elegant
  • 2 Post By elegant

Thread: ZR1 To Reveal Active Aero Package?

Exec. Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    15074 times

ZR1 To Reveal Active Aero Package?

GM just filed for a patent on an active Corvette aerodynamic package. And the ZR1's reveal was delayed a few months. Are the two connected? Or, is this the BASH's special reveal this option for all 2018 C7's? [Five patent pictures.]

Quote Originally Posted by GM Authority
    Patent Discovery Details Active Aerodynamic System For C7 Corvette (By Sean Szymkowski)

Name:  IMG_0460.JPG
Views: 6378
Size:  192.9 KB
    C7 Corvette Active Aero Patent 005

We’re still unsure as to what the hardcore, track-ready Corvette prototype will be called when it decides to show face, but the media at large has dubbed it the next ZR1. While the jury is out on the name, a new GM patent has spoiled a surprise for the upcoming car.

Patents, first discovered by AutoGuide, detail an active aerodynamic system for the C7 Corvette. Specifically, the patents show a basic layout of what look like the C7 Corvette ZR1 prototype we’ve spied on numerous occasions. The patent was filed on March 23, 2017, and is for “vehicle ride-height determination for control of vehicle aerodynamics.”

The patent spoils various elements involved with the Corvette’s active aero system, which includes an adjustable spoiler, an air dam, a splitter, a diffuser and shutter. These components would all adjust per data fed into the system.

Additionally, the patent goes on to state the system features “a mechanism configured to vary a position of the adjustable aerodynamic-aid element relative to the vehicle body to thereby control a movement of the ambient airflow relative to the vehicle body.” Images also detail a sensor used to detect the ride height of the vehicle and cross check it against a reference frame. A controller can then tell the system to regulate aero based on the sensor’s readings.

It’s a pretty serious system for the Corvette and it shows, whatever track-focused model this turns out to be, the car truly means business.

Name:  IMG_0462.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  246.6 KB
    C7 Corvette Active Aero Patent 001

Name:  IMG_0463.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  216.1 KB
    C7 Corvette Active Aero Patent 002

Name:  IMG_0464.JPG
Views: 209
Size:  175.9 KB
    C7 Corvette Active Aero Patent 003

Name:  IMG_0465.JPG
Views: 204
Size:  176.8 KB
    C7 Corvette Active Aero Patent 004

Name:  IMG_0466.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  192.7 KB
    C7 Corvette Active Aero Patent 005

Read more: 2018 C7 Corvette ZR1 To Get Active Aero | GM Authority
    Last edited by elegant; 03-24-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    John

Fortunate owner of "WRP SPD," our Z06! [7M, stage 2+ coupe]. List of mods here:
    Hidden Content

Lifetime & Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum!

Member #
    Liked
    841 times
    That's cool. I am curious, however... why the need to file a patent and expose your plans? I mean, most hi-end cars are already doing this, and it is very specific to make and model, so why the need to even copyright it? The technology is fairly open.
    Frank
    2015 VY Stingray Coupe 1LT w/Black interior
    M7 NPP Nav PDR Transparent Roof Yellow Calipers

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    The Corvette team must be looking at Porsche again since this feature is already on their cars.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Exec. Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    15074 times
    I applaud GM for another means of making our Corvettes better. However, we all need to realize that filing a patent does not yet mean it will make it to the production car (its going to be further tested and perhaps needs to get the GM bean counters approval), just that they are wanting that specific aero method to not find its way to a nosy competitor.

Go Corvette!
    jsvette and canoexxman like this.
    John

Hidden Content

Gold Supporting Member
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    I'm losing track.... I drive her every chance I get!
    Member #
    Liked
    817 times
    I find this to be very interesting.

At the Laguna Seca Corvette Racing dinner last year or the year before (basically the BASH reveal slideshow presentation for the West Coast I went to twice), Tadge was specifically asked about active aero multiple times. He said it wasn't on the radar because it wasn't necessary as the car was perfectly designed already. (Gross oversimplification of what he said, but bottom line was he TOTALLY poo-poohed it.)

I wonder if they feel that they're losing sales to Porsche JUST because they don't have this?

Just hmmmm.... Very curious to see if this actually gets produced someday.

And bummer we'll probably not attend the banquet again since we moved from CA so I could ask him!
    Suzy
    SUZZETE the Corvette, 2015 2LT Z51 Coupe, Black leather with suede inserts, MRC, NAV/PDR + RPI ZR7 Stage II skirts
    Order entry 9/18, Buyer's Tour Oct 13 & 14 - born 7:40a 10/14/14 Hidden Content Delivered 11/21/14

Exec. Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    15074 times
    Suzy,

What Tadge told you last year about aero was exactly how he and the rest of not only the Corvette team, but the entire GM team, must answer all questions in terms of "what is available today," because if any one ever answered in public, honestly, about a future product that is being developed, that would be their next to last day being a GM employee. A few tested that, and they are no longer employed.
    John

Hidden Content

Sponsored Links