Corvette SUV Coming? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Corvette SUV Coming?

Member #
    Liked
    962 times
    Porsche and more importantly, their owner VW didn't really have anything in the SUV marketplace until the Cayenne. Even today, the VW Tiguan and Touareg are really weak competitors in the SUV marketplace.

GM has a number of SUV entries. They really don't need a Corvette SUV which would likely take share from Cadillac, GMC and even Chevy SUVs.
    Boomer, Vigilance247 and Henry427 like this.
    2014 Z51, MN7, Laguna Blue, 3LT Brownstone, MSRC, NPP, Yellow Calipers, Visible Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Carbon Flash Mirrors and Spoiler, Black Wheels, NCM Delivery on 2/13 - day after sinkhole.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    Oh Nonononononono
    Henry427 likes this.
    2015 Z51 3LT Loaded

Mileage
    On me or the car?
    Member #
    Liked
    184 times
    On the local news today... Lamborghini SUV available for around 200K . Looked pretty sweet but fortunately i won't ever that kind of bankroll to spend on a car. Or anything else for that matter.
    Oh and i think I am in agreement with others . Not for me .Plenty of available SUV's without adding a Corvette to the mix. If it ain't broken don't fix it. My opinion do something special to the current Tahoe such as a redesign and Hi Po drive train. Currently the GMC Denali version is approaching 85-90K on the window so I can't imagine who is going to pay well into six figures for a Corvette SUV. JMO
    Last edited by 15snow-ray; 03-28-2017 at 03:43 PM.
    Henry427 and Racer_X like this.
    2015 3LT/Z51 Convertible. Arctic White with Black Top, Black Leather and Sueade interior with white stitching and with Carbon Fiber Tonneau cover. Carbon Flash emblems and Competition Seats.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Mileage
    Over 61,000 and rolling strong!
    Member #
    Liked
    896 times
    In a very real sense, GM already did a "Corvette" SUV, as well as a matching pickup - recall the early '90s GMC Syclone (truck) and Typhoon (SUV). Both had high-output turbocharged V6 engines, AWD, fast-shifting automatic transmissions, and handled extremely well for their day, considering they both were body-on-frame trucks. And the Syclone actually beat the Corvette of the day in a straight line (the heavier Typhoon was a hair slower than the Corvette, but it had 4 seats!). When they came out, I drooled over every one I saw, and still see a Syclone in my area once in a great while.

Based on this, and the success Porsche and others have had with similar variants, I could see a Corvette SUV working well. Would I buy one? Quite possibly, as a stablemate to my Stingray. I have just enough need of a truck to have a shortbed regular cab Silverado. Said Corvette SUV would pick up those duties, and still allow a little fun in the curves.

GM actually does have a platform that might work as a starting point - the global Trailblazer. As we saw with the Colorado/Canyon trucks, there is every possibility the Trailblazer will make a return to the US, as a number of strong hints allude to at the Wentzville assembly plant. Such a platform, with a lowered and performance dedicated suspension, V8, AWD, weight reductions and Corvette-inspired design cues could work on a reasonable development budget, and stay in the $50K price range pretty easily.

Seems feasible, at the very least. I'm open to the idea....
    Vince

Hidden Content Driven a lot! My '74 Stingray, not driven so much now....

2014 Z51 Coupe, Cyber Gray Metallic, Gray interior w/suede seat inserts, exposed carbon fiber roof panel, 7-speed manual, 2LT, non-NPP, non-mag ride, non-nav. C7 Carbon GTX carbon fiber splitter & spoiler. Autographed console lid. Gloss GM carbon fiber dash bezel, Jake wheel center caps. More mods coming soon....

National Corvette Museum member.

Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Keep smoking that cigar

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Can't say I'm in favor of this. Corvette would become another GM brand like Buick or Chevrolet (wait, the Corvette is a Chevrolet), which would have multiple vehicles under the Corvette banner? Several versions of the car we all know plus an SUV, then another "smaller" SUV (which always seems to happen), then a 4 door sedan and on and on. Porsche and Lamborghini can do this because they only have ONE brand, just adding more models to it. GM has Cadillac, the premium brand, let them introduce a high performance SUV to compete with the Europeans.
    My $.02
    Racer_X likes this.
    Hidden Content Dave
    2016 Z06, 2LZ, M7, Laguna Blue, Spectra Wheels, Dark Grey, GT seats, PDR, Permanent grin!

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    4117 times
    There are a few things which keep popping up in some posts, and I am not sure the ideas behind them accurately reflect the marketplace.

1) One point which is made is that a Corvette SUV would cannibalize sales from other GM SUVs. This is absolutely true. However, the implication that people are making is that such cannibalization should preclude the introduction of a different GM SUV model (namely, the Corvette SUV). This is the point which I do not think is accurate. Here are the reasons I say that.

Having the GMC line of SUVs cannibalize sales of Chevrolet SUVs. Having the Cadillac SUVs cannibalize sales of both Chevrolet and Buick SUVs. Having any GM SUV brand cannibalizes sales of other GM (Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC) brands. Furthermore, having small SUVs, medium size SUVs, and large SUVs also cannibalize sales of the other sizes of SUVs. So, why have them? Why not just offer one size of SUV from just one GM brand?

The reason is obvious. The more choices that are available, the more likely people are to buy from some GM brand/model instead of going to a competitor. In other words, if GM does not offer many choices, then they will hand many "conquest" buyers over to other brands, because not everyone who buys a SUV from GM right now would still do so if they only offered one model in one brand.

Now, let's apply that same thinking to the case of a Corvette SUV.

Would a Corvette SUV cannibalize sales of other SUVs in the GM family? Yes, it absolutely would. Would this be a bad thing? No, it isn't necessarily bad if the presence of the Corvette SUV would result in enough conquest buyers from other manufacturers buying it, if those buyers would not have bought any of the other GM SUVs. In other words, either GM gets a sale to them with the Corvette SUV, or they get no SUV sale to that particular customer at all.

The key is how many conquest buyers are enough to justify the introduction of the Corvette SUV? Only the GM bean counters know the answer to that.

2) Another theme which I have been reading from multiple posts in this thread is related to the one above, but just from the other direction. The point above was increasing the total number of people who buy GM-branded SUVs by getting conquest buyers. This next point is not losing loyal GM buyers because they can't find a GM-branded SUV that they like, and are forced to go elsewhere (like going to the Porsche Cayenne). So, the first point was making the number of customers go up. This second point is keeping the number of customers from going down.

To this end, the important aspect is making sure that the various GM SUVs are distinct enough from each other such that at least one of them hopefully will be appealing to a buyer. That is why it makes sense to have small, medium and large SUVs. Also, that is why it makes sense to have SUVs from each brand (Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC). There are enough points of differentiation in the design cues on the exterior, on the shape and layout of the interiors, et cetera, that having each of those are justified. Sure, cannibalization is a horrible thing in a company (like the old GM) when you have multiple brands and models which overlap significantly, but as long as there is enough differentiation between them, the business justification is there.

Now, the question is, "Could the Corvette SUV have enough differentiation from other GM-branded SUVs to justify its existence?" Wow, the answer there is obvious! It would be so much unlike any other GM-branded SUV on the market right now that it would not even be close. From the engine and powertrain to the external design cues, it would stand out as clearly unlike anything else in the GM stable.

Summary:

In summary, I think the aspect of the differentiation in point number two is a given and not really up for debate. That only leaves the first part, which is a big question: would there be enough buyers who otherwise would not buy any other GM-branded SUV but would buy a Corvette SUV? I don't know. GM will need to do market research, look at those numbers, calculate the profits from such sales, analyze the development costs of the Corvette SUV, and make a business decision. If they determine that it is projected to be a good business decision, then we will see the Corvette SUV. If their projections show that it would not be good from a cost/profit perspective, then we will not see it.

Of course, I could be wrong, but my personal guess is that since the SUV market is so ripe, if they had a Corvette SUV introduced in this market, it would be a smashing success and win hordes of conquest buyers (like the C7 has done).
    Last edited by rdslon01; 03-29-2017 at 07:32 AM.
    Busa Dave, Janet C and purpleRac3r like this.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Member #
    Liked
    424 times
    GM needs to do something about the "Corvette" line as it knows the average age of buyers is elevated over the competition. This would along with the new C8 make a statement that yes the "Corvette" is relevant if you will and keeping up with the changing market dynamics. I have a Porsche SUV in the inventory and would absolutely consider very strongly a vehicle styled and the performance as outlined above.

Imagine that GM might try and do something and possibly build it in Bowling Green? Would definitely like to see this SUV come out because it would appeal to many people such as myself who would never consider a Caddy like the one my dad, grandmother and grandfather drove. Just a mental thing I guess. A pure performance SUV designed from the ground up would I dare say sell better than the Corvette will... Time will tell if they do it...
    Last edited by Busa Dave; 03-29-2017 at 07:48 AM.

Senior Member Cmicasa the GreatXvX's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    129 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry427 View Post
    I can't get too excited about this. Unlike Porsche, it's not as if GM doesn't make attractive SUV's. Let's keep the Corvette the strictly iconic sports car it is meant to be.
    Porsche went CUV and Sedan to survive on its own if it had to.. All brands should be able to bring their own profit. GMC, for instance, because of the Denali brand, is like #150 0n Fortune 500 by itself.. due to profitability.

Porsche/VW is no different than GM/Vette. They are both parts of a larger whole. Porsche brings in huge profits to VW and the SUVs at Porsche, completely based on VW models.. are heavyly contributing to that,.. also keeping new tech and no thoughts of ever discontinuing 911s. Face it folks.. the Vette is already a brand of its own.. a Stingray, a Grand Sport, a Z06, and an upcoming ZR1 are different cars that happen to look alike. I half wish Chevy had of changed them in appearance more than widening the body so that this would be made clearer. Adding an CUV or two would only solidify the necessity of America's Sports car. Its good business especially when the CUV market is the absolute hottest market on the planet. GM could use Cadillac's Alpha (ATS, CTS, Camaro) and Omega (CT6) platforms and build hella great CUVs for Cadillac and Corvette.. Cadillac getting more docile iterations except VSeries while Corvette was simply Hi-Po.

While they are at it.. sell all Corvettes outta Cadillac dealerships.. a WIN i promise for us Corvette owners. The level of service I get when I take my CTS-V in for even the smallest service is leaps and bounds above what I get at my Chevy dealership. And keep in mind my CTS-V was only $25K more than the Z51 I own. Z06 owners know that their Vettes cost almost as much as my V.
    2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51, Blade Silver, Jet Black Interior, Delivered To My Office Feb 28,2014
    Options: 3LT Package, 7-Speed Manny, Black Wheels, NPP, Nav, Transparent Roof, Ported TB, CAI, and DiabloLew Tune

Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    191 times
    I think it is a good idea, and a wagon too BTW. I don't think they would water down anything as long as they are true to the sport/luxury promise. Besides, the water down is all subjective, Porsche is not less prestigious for making cayennes and panameras as these "family cars" can smoke many "sports cars" out there. Also, corvettes are not as exclusive as Italian exotics, so it would not be so ridiculous as a Lambo SUV. I can see more women and younger men w/ families getting into corvettes too.

JLG
    Member #
    Liked
    707 times
    What I would expect out of the Corvette SUV to be a good competitor, is the same quality and driving feel as the mid-size Mercedes Benz GLE. This car is solid, no rattles, no noises, feels solid, the suspension ride is like a sports car yet comfortable (can't explain) does not roll at all. The power is excellent. Overall, the GLE gives driver's confidence. Not to mention that it is a nice car. I currently owe a 2016 one had it for more than 1 year.

The Corvette SUV needs to be like or better than the average luxury SUV like the MB GLE, but at a lower cost....
    2015 Z51 Stingray Coupe, 3LT, Shark Gray, A8, Mag Ride, NPP exhaust, PDR/Nav, Split Spoke Black Machined Wheels, Carbon Flash Spoiler and Mirrors, Carbon Flash Badges, Yellow Calipers, Kalahari Int, GT Seats with Suede Micro Inserts, Suede Upper Trim, Personalized Plaque, Lower on Stock Bolts, Weekend/Pleasure Car, Ordered April 2014, Change to 15 Model in July 2014, Delivered on Dec 22, 2014, Almost 9 month wait for this Stingray...

Past Vettes:
    97 Coupe Black
    01 Coupe Silver
    05 Z51 Coupe Black

Member #
    Liked
    282 times
    Corvette should be a performance brand. Use something different for 4x4 SUV and 4 door sedans. How about Hummer and Cadillac?
    Racer_X likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    628 times
    Let Caddy have a high performance SUV. Keep Vette two seats
    Henry427, Boomer and Racer_X like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JLG View Post
    What I would expect out of the Corvette SUV to be a good competitor, is the same quality and driving feel as the mid-size Mercedes Benz GLE. This car is solid, no rattles, no noises, feels solid, the suspension ride is like a sports car yet comfortable (can't explain) does not roll at all. The power is excellent. Overall, the GLE gives driver's confidence. Not to mention that it is a nice car. I currently owe a 2016 one had it for more than 1 year.

The Corvette SUV needs to be like or better than the average luxury SUV like the MB GLE, but at a lower cost....
    I'm sick of these wannabe trucks. Leave Corvette alone and free of these funky vehicles.

JLG
    Member #
    Liked
    707 times
    JFJr - The "pushrod" engine is lighter, simpler and very power dense for its size. DOHC engines are more complex, heavier, have higher centers of gravity, and are are early 1900's technology. So what is the advantage? Higher rev limits for a street engine, so what? Why mess with success? Trump will scale back idiotic MPG regulations that require ridiculous engines. So until we have gravity wave propulsion, cool it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    I'm sick of these wannabe trucks. Leave Corvette alone and free of these funky vehicles.
    It's a done deal, The Corvette Zora-Branded SUV with DOHC!!! I already contacted a forum dealer to send my deposit for this SUV. I want one, I will pay the border tariff.....

Name:  Corvettacan-01.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  187.1 KB
    2015 Z51 Stingray Coupe, 3LT, Shark Gray, A8, Mag Ride, NPP exhaust, PDR/Nav, Split Spoke Black Machined Wheels, Carbon Flash Spoiler and Mirrors, Carbon Flash Badges, Yellow Calipers, Kalahari Int, GT Seats with Suede Micro Inserts, Suede Upper Trim, Personalized Plaque, Lower on Stock Bolts, Weekend/Pleasure Car, Ordered April 2014, Change to 15 Model in July 2014, Delivered on Dec 22, 2014, Almost 9 month wait for this Stingray...

Past Vettes:
    97 Coupe Black
    01 Coupe Silver
    05 Z51 Coupe Black

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links