Thread: ZR1's LT5 Motor Info

Exec. Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    15515 times

ZR1's LT5 Motor Info

For those who were still thinking the ZR1 was coming with the ME's twin turbo, DOHC motor, not so. But repeat inside sources keep saying it will be 750 HP.

Name:  IMG_1169.JPG
Views: 337
Size:  63.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GMAuthority
    There’s a lot we do know about the 2018 C7 Corvette ZR1, but one major variable has remained a mystery: what’s powering it?

Clips from various videos have revealed a decidedly supercharged engine note, which has led many to believe a more potent 6.2-liter supercharged LT4 V8 is lurking under the hood. Now, we have some of the clearest evidence yet an LT4 will not be employed, but an all-new 6.2-liter supercharged LT5 V8 will be present.

LSXMag uncovered the RPO code “LT5” in General Motors’ RPO system search tool. Corresponding with the “LT5” code is the following information:

Eight cylinders
    Supercharged
    Spark Ignition Direct Injection
    Aluminum construction
    Variable Valve Timing
    Notice something missing? There’s no mention of dual overhead cams. Instead, it seems more likely the ZR1 will stick with a traditional cam in block design. Though, this information doesn’t support the previously leaked documents showing a DOHC design for the LT5. That information, however, didn’t mention a supercharger.

Instead, the LT5 seems poised to improve the fuel system and will tack on a larger supercharger. The report states Eaton’s new R2650 unit may be tapped for forced induction duties. There is no mention of transmission or other components, though. We may see the C7 Corvette ZR1 gain the 10-speed automatic and DSSV dampers, both of which are available with the Camaro ZL1 and ZL1 1LE, respectfully. It only seems fair the king of Corvettes gains the latest performance trickery.

Finally, we’ll likely see an active aerodynamic system of sorts debut as well, per patent discoveries earlier this year.

One thing seems to be more clear than ever: the C7 Corvette ZR1 will make more than 650 horsepower and it will be a force to be reckoned with.

Read more: LT5 Code Revealed For 2018 C7 Corvette | GM Authority
    U.S. Marine likes this.
    John

Fortunate owner of "WRP SPD," our Z06! [7M, stage 2+ coupe]. List of mods here:
    Hidden Content

Lifetime & Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum!

Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Didn't think starting a new thread was necessary, so I'll put my thoughts here.

Tomorrow is June 1st. Has there ever been a roll out for a car this late into the calendar year? Seems to me like if the ZR1 was going to be a MY 2018, it would have been announced by now, if only to help generate hype and pre-orders. Anyone else thinking this car will get pushed back to MY 2019, which therefore would mean the mid-engined unicorn (assuming it's a Chevy) pushed until MY 2020? Thoughts?

Exec. Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    15515 times
    Good supposition and question. From what I have heard, the ME is definitely not going to be postponed beyond Sept 1, 2019 customer deliveries. That would make it a MY 2020.

And there will be an intervening ZR1, but when is not known. A little birdie chirped at me that it will be a 2019 MY car -- though many are still saying it will be a 2018.

Interesting repeat feedback I am hearing, is that other than track devotees, there seems to be comparatively lesser purchasing interest in buying a ZR1 -- though many are very interested in learning about it, seeing it, watching it run, etc. One person who has an indirect hand in sales (is not a forum vendor) says that his definite purchasers are running 3X for the ME compared to the ZR1. This would fit with the info I also learned from him that ZR1 annual production will be less than the ME.

And as always, we will know the real skinny when GM publicly decides to share it with us.
    Last edited by elegant; 05-31-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    Spectre likes this.
    John

Fortunate owner of "WRP SPD," our Z06! [7M, stage 2+ coupe]. List of mods here:
    Hidden Content

Lifetime & Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum!

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by elegant View Post
    Good supposition and question. From what I have heard, the ME is definitely not going to be postponed beyond Sept 1, 2019 customer deliveries. That would make it a MY 2020.

And there will be an intervening ZR1, but when is not known. A little birdie chirped at me that it will be a 2019 MY car -- though many are still saying it will be a 2018.

Interesting repeat feedback I am hearing, is that other than track devotees, there seems to be comparatively lesser purchasing interest in buying a ZR1 -- though many are very interested in learning about it, seeing it, watching it run, etc. One person who has an indirect hand in sales (is not a forum vendor) says that his definite purchasers are running 3X for the ME compared to the ZR1. This would fit with the info I also learned from him that ZR1 annual production will be less than the ME.

And as always, we will know the real skinny when GM publicly decides to share it with us.
    Thanks, John. As you and Jeremy have said multiple times, the C7 appears likely to last at least through MY 2020. My interest is admittedly selfish: I still want a C7 GS, but as a result of buying daily drivers for both myself and my wife this summer, 2020 will be the soonest I can consider it.
    Last edited by Spectre; 05-31-2017 at 11:25 PM.

Mileage
    W&C I & II
    Member #
    Liked
    3981 times
    Quote Originally Posted by elegant View Post
    Doesn't surprise me. The ZR-1 seems to be a very focused track car which, like the Viper ACR, will probably make it a much less pleasant street car. I do see a small market for front fenders, hoods, and bumper covers to make the GS and Z06 look like a ZR-1, though.
    Hidden Content
    "SunKissed", my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible
    (One of about 40).

Member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out: Hidden Content

My Stingray photos: Hidden Content

Sponsored Links