Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Closing rear hatch

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Have problems when everything is closed. Had the top off today and it closed with ease. Would like to know if there is a plan to fix the vent. Seems to be a common GM issue. My Escalade has the same problem with doors.

Member #
    Yep, I'm having the same problem with the rear hatch. It won't close fully without a lot of force. It closes easily when a door is open. I had the same problem with my C6 until the seal ruptured. It worked great after that. Not a good solution! I plan to be patient with the C7 for a while, but I do intend to follow up at the time of the first service if it has not become easier to close.

Gold Supporting Member
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    2845 times
    IT IS NEW....wait a few thousands miles, the gaskets will flatten...mine closes fine with one hand pulling it down....about 3100 miles on my car....
    CGM/Red base 2LT -here's everything I've done to this car:
    http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/...ld-thread.html
    My Detailing docs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/acxkaf44c...VlC5djtQa?dl=0

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    10k+
    Member #
    Liked
    3662 times
    Most of the time RedHot's (2130 miles) trunk closes without issue. It always closes easily if the roof panel is off.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest

Gold Supporting Member
    Gold Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Appears to be clearly the vent to me. If I have the door open, the hatch closes with very little force, using the handle inside the lid as GM recommends. It closes 100% of the time. Tired again this morning to close it with the door and window closed. Used quite a bit of force on the handle, much more than I use with the door open - it did not fully close. Pressing it down appears logical until you do it! The C7 hatch (like all the panels) is thin-you can see it defect!
    However it just requires thinking about how you open the door and hatch. If leaving and getting into the hatch, just leave the door open. Then close it after you open and close the hatch. If getting into the car, just open the door before opening and closing the hatch. Not really much extra effort just some planning, but the sequence makes it work. Maybe the seal will loosen, but that will take some time, if it does! This proves to me the vent is not large enough or not opening enough. Considering the amount of air that needs to be moved, not surprising an open door or window is much better.
    Last edited by Jerry U; 11-11-2013 at 05:39 AM.

Mileage
    12k and change
    Member #
    Liked
    473 times
    All I can say is that it's obvious that a right handed person designed the hand hold for closing the hatch. Too bad they didn't think that through a little more.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    10k+
    Member #
    Liked
    3662 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry U View Post
    Appears to be clearly the vent to me. If I have the door open, the hatch closes with very little force, using the handle inside the lid as GM recommends. It closes 100% of the time. Tired again this morning to close it with the door and window closed. Used quite a bit of force on the handle, much more than I use with teh dorr open, and it did not fully close. Pressing it down appears logical until you do it! The C7 hatch (like all the panels) is thin-you can see it defect!
    However it just requires thinking about how you open the door and hatch. If leaving and getting into the hatch, just leave the door open one stop. Then close it after you open and close the hatch. If getting into the car, just open the door before opening and closing the hatch. Not really much extra effort just some planning, but the sequence makes it work. Maybe the seal will loosen, but that will take some time, if it does! This proves to me the vent is not large enough or not opening enough. Considering the amount of air that needs to be moved, not surprising an open door is much better.
    Good suggestion Jerry for those having some problems with the closing.
    aka Jeff
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    I've gotten used to the force required to close the hatch. Rarely do I not give it enough "oomph". I also think that, as Glen e commented, the gasket will soften up over the next month or two and it will close with less force.
    S.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    For those of you that are still having trouble closing rear hatch and would like to verify that relief door is opening/closing: pull rear license plate off, take a flashlight and look into rectangular hole behind plate, open hatch and you should see a small door open, close hatch and you will see door close seconds later.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum
    Jims-c7, elegant and JDBender like this.
    Z51/3LT, Torch Red, M7, MRC, Red Interior and Calipers, Carbon Flash Mirrors, Spoiler and Hood Stripe

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Will remove the license plate to check. I can't close mine at all without a door open or top off. Tried slamming and pushing it down. Only 230 miles so far and it's cold. Maybe more miles and some summer heat.

Gold Supporting Member
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    2845 times
    see my post #18 here - it's a new car problem - 3500 miles and mine has NEVER not shut with one hand in the hand pocket now - in any condition...

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    if you will open window or
    door hatch will close easily.
    no good but it works.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    10k+
    Member #
    Liked
    3662 times
    This experience will vary from owner to owner, but it is basically an issue that is resolved with use, mileage and temperature. In the beginning it is easier to either leave a door open while closing the trunk or lower the trunk lid until it touches the gasket and then put your palms on the center back edge and push it home. The more you use the trunk the more compliant the gasket becomes and eventually you will find you can easily close it with one hand and all the doors/windows closed as well.
    aka Jeff

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    My hatch is difficult to close as well. I've resorted to a technique I used with my old Porsche Cayman S's rear hatch. I just place my palm on top of the lid above the latch fitting and guide the hatch closed with a small amount of force. After a few tries, you'll figure out how much force is needed to just close the hatch successfully. It's not a lot of force. You don't need to slam it so hard that the glass shatters.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    10k+
    Member #
    Liked
    3662 times
    Silversled, that is a good approach. For perspective, how long have you had your C7, and how frequently have you opened and closed the hatch? A number of us with a few thousand miles and frequent use of the hatch have found it works just fine once the gasket has gotten relaxed a bit.
    aka Jeff

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links