All-New 8L90 8-Speed Automatic Transmission - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: All-New 8L90 8-Speed Automatic Transmission

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    2692 times
    My '14 is an M7, my next one, probably a '17, will be an A8.
    Boomer likes this.
    Mark

2015 Porsche Boxster GTS
    2014 2LT Z51 7sp Coupe (sold)
    2014 RAM 1500 (tow vehicle)
    2015 Camaro SS/RS (wife's daily driver)

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I had 2013 c6 GRAND SPORT WITH THE AUTOMATIC. ordered a 2014 C7 M7. after picking up the C7 within a couple of miles from the chevy dealer I turned to my wife in the passenger seat and said after driving this for only a few miles why in the heck would anyone ever want to drive an automatic in a corvette. the difference was overwhelming for me. manual all the way.

Member #
    Liked
    861 times
    My wife says her neck hurts after riding in my M7. Holding those gears and mashing the gas has its downside, at least for passengers.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    2692 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hogman View Post
    I had 2013 c6 GRAND SPORT WITH THE AUTOMATIC. ordered a 2014 C7 M7. after picking up the C7 within a couple of miles from the chevy dealer I turned to my wife in the passenger seat and said after driving this for only a few miles why in the heck would anyone ever want to drive an automatic in a corvette. the difference was overwhelming for me. manual all the way.
    The difference between the C7 A8 and the C6 A6 are about as dramatic as the difference between a C6 and a C7. Don't dismiss it out of hand based on your C6 experience.
    Mark

2015 Porsche Boxster GTS
    2014 2LT Z51 7sp Coupe (sold)
    2014 RAM 1500 (tow vehicle)
    2015 Camaro SS/RS (wife's daily driver)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Pdiaz...I too have just placed an order for a 2016 Z06 7 speed manual! I considered the A8 automatic, but I like the sound of going thru the gears. One of my friends told me that he wouldn't want to shift that much in town...7 speeds! I had a 6 speed manual in my '04 convertible, and wasn't a big deal. In town, I simply shifted from 1 to 3 to 5, or 1 to 2 to 4...you don't have to go thru all the gears every time if you're just in regular traffic. When you want to really go...when there is no traffic, THEN use all the gears...it heightens the experience!

Member #
    Liked
    247 times
    Oh my. Europe. Oh my. I'd love to drive in Germany. Take the Stingray over there on a boat.

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    I started with a four speed in 1973and have owned a few other manual cars. I just reached a point where I would prefer the automatic, especially after reading about the A 8. This car with performance exhaust in sport or track mode gurgles and revs with satisfying acceleration and shifting. When you punch it, a performance mode is engaged that keeps it in lower gear. The manual mode with paddle shifting is not like other cars Inhave had with this feature. It tends to stay in the gear you select much longer at extreme RPM levels but does protect you from making a destructive shift. I love my A8, and I would love to win the lottery and get a second Z06 with manual for fun. May your worst problem in life be choosing transmissions in you new C7!
    JLG likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Has anyone heard what changes GM made to the A8 that they started to install in new production C7s beginning in October 2015?

The new A8 transmission part# is 24274892. The previous part# is 24273222.
    lakemg likes this.

Mileage
    3 Million
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    In the first January week of 2016, I had to decide whether to order a Stingray with a manual or with an automatic transmission. So I test drove the automatic first. I found the automatic transmission outright terrible! In normal driving it shifted very smooth and you hardly felt the gears shifting up or down. However, when I punched the accelerator all the way down and held it down, the auto shifted down as expected, but then when it switched into the next higher gear, there was this terrible jolt that was not only very loud, but felt like someone hit the car in the back with a giant sledgehammer. I repeated that maneuver three more times at different speeds. Each time it was the same awfull experience. I looked at the sales man and he was notedly embarrassed. I had an SL55 AMG before and that car auto shifted like butter.
    That horrible experience with the auto cured me instantly of any thoughts of ordering an automatic transmission (I went ahead and ordered the Stingray with the manual transmission......where I now have to do something about the rediculous skip shift function.....ordered the part from Amazon already).
    Now, I do not know whether the car just had a bad transmission or whether this is a systemic problem. I am fairly new to this forum, so I like to learn about what other owners of a 2016 Stingray with an auto are experiencing.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Wow, with that experience don't blame you- My 2015 A8 is nothing like that, runs better and faster than I could run/shift my 69's.
    Older now and throughly enjoy the auto as it just seems there is a lot more traffic than open roads out there now-
    Milliwatt Rob likes this.
    2015 3LT Convertible, Night Race Blue/Kalahari, A8, Nav/PDR, chrome wheels, Perf. Exhaust, Valentine One w/Blendmount/Mirrortap, Suntek PPF & OptiCoat Plus

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    3712 times
    Quote Originally Posted by whillusa View Post
    In the first January week of 2016, I had to decide whether to order a Stingray with a manual or with an automatic transmission. So I test drove the automatic first. I found the automatic transmission outright terrible! In normal driving it shifted very smooth and you hardly felt the gears shifting up or down. However, when I punched the accelerator all the way down and held it down, the auto shifted down as expected, but then when it switched into the next higher gear, there was this terrible jolt that was not only very loud, but felt like someone hit the car in the back with a giant sledgehammer. I repeated that maneuver three more times at different speeds. Each time it was the same awfull experience. I looked at the sales man and he was notedly embarrassed. I had an SL55 AMG before and that car auto shifted like butter.
    That horrible experience with the auto cured me instantly of any thoughts of ordering an automatic transmission (I went ahead and ordered the Stingray with the manual transmission......where I now have to do something about the rediculous skip shift function.....ordered the part from Amazon already).
    Now, I do not know whether the car just had a bad transmission or whether this is a systemic problem. I am fairly new to this forum, so I like to learn about what other owners of a 2016 Stingray with an auto are experiencing.
    My guess is that the transmission needed to have the clutches trained. There are a few threads on here about that. The procedure is covered in TSB 14-07-30-001c.
    Last edited by rdslon01; 02-10-2016 at 09:16 PM.
    Mack likes this.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    12k+
    Member #
    Liked
    6951 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rdslon01 View Post
    My guess is that the transmission needed to have the clutches trained. There are a few threads on here about that. The procedure is covered in TSB 14-07-30-001c.
    Agree. Also the "loud" sound was most probably normal WOT exhaust as it shifted. Of course, I am floored that a dealer would allow someone to do several WOT on a new C7 test drive. Remind me not to buy any cars from them
    Mack, orangehead72, RCjr and 1 others like this.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

JLG
    Member #
    Liked
    641 times
    ..... outright terrible!....., there was this terrible jolt that was not only very loud, but felt like someone hit the car in the back with a giant sledgehammer.
    REALLY?!? was the car was somehow broken?

The description on how the car was driven is exactly how the C7 with an A8 is designed to behave. Smooth shift during normal driving and rapid shifting with a "pop" sound during wide open throttle (WOT).

During WOT, the car's software interrupts the fuel to the engine, for a fraction of a second, to facilitate rapid shifting, therefore causing a loud "pop" due to the backfire it creates when fuel comes back on. This backfire does not always occurs. And Actually, this Technology is not unique to GM's Corvette, many supercars and exotics have this loud "pop" during rapid shifting.

And just like the laud exhaust notes, the rapid shifting "pop" is also the cause for excitement among car enthusiast worldwide. Other supercars forums members talk about this. They call it the "shotgun blast", and some here call it the ".22 caliber blast", depends on who you ask.

Just like many folks here, I have also been with the MB family for many years and currently owner of a 2016, and I can absolutely can not compare any MB to the Corvette, to me they are different cars with different qualities.

whillusa, congrats on your M7, have lots of fun with it!!!!!...

JLG
    2015 Z51 Stingray Coupe, 3LT, Shark Gray, A8, Mag Ride, NPP exhaust, PDR/Nav, Split Spoke Black Machined Wheels, Carbon Flash Spoiler and Mirrors, Carbon Flash Badges, Yellow Calipers, Kalahari Int, GT Seats with Suede Micro Inserts, Suede Upper Trim, Personalized Plaque, Lower on Stock Bolts, Weekend/Pleasure Car, Ordered April 2014, Change to 15 Model in July 2014, Delivered on Dec 22, 2014, Almost 9 month wait for this Stingray...

Past Vettes:
    97 Coupe Black
    01 Coupe Silver
    05 Z51 Coupe Black

Mileage
    3 Million
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The description on how the car was driven is exactly how the C7 with an A8 is designed to behave. Smooth shift during normal driving and rapid shifting with a "pop" sound during wide open throttle (WOT).

If this is considered "normal" behavior, I definitely would pass on the automatic transmission. I do not understand why the tranny can not shift without the "artillery effect?" As I stated before, I had an SL55 AMG, with nearly 500 HP. It did 0 to 60 in under 4.5 seconds. That transmission shifted smoothly, even in that WOT condition. So I know it can be done! Also, I do not share the enthusiasm for this jolt like shifting. I think it portraits a non-optimal design. GM should address that problem.

Member #
    Liked
    275 times

If this is considered "normal" behavior, I definitely would pass on the automatic transmission. I do not understand why the tranny can not shift without the "artillery effect?" As I stated before, I had an SL55 AMG, with nearly 500 HP. It did 0 to 60 in under 4.5 seconds. That transmission shifted smoothly, even in that WOT condition. So I know it can be done! Also, I do not share the enthusiasm for this jolt like shifting. I think it portraits a non-optimal design. GM should address that problem.
    The pop and shifting on the A8 is badass from my perspective. It's not supposed to have pampering WOT upshifts...

The popping is torque management, which will help the trans live a lot longer.
    Last edited by lakemg; 02-11-2016 at 11:16 AM.
    2015, Z51, Blade Silver, Jet Black, A8, MagRide
    1969, Z28, Fathom Green w/White Stripes, Black, DZ 302, M21

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links