Like Tree64Likes

Thread: All-New 8L90 8-Speed Automatic Transmission

Mileage
    3 Million
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jsvette View Post
    Agree. Also the "loud" sound was most probably normal WOT exhaust as it shifted. Of course, I am floored that a dealer would allow someone to do several WOT on a new C7 test drive. Remind me not to buy any cars from them
    All I did, was just helping to properly seat the piston rings. The eventual owner of that car should be thankful!
    JLG and mybluecorvette like this.

JLG
    Member #
    Liked
    641 times
    I copied this below text from a Ferrari site. (not disclosing which one, so Hopefully I'm not against the rules and policy here). Notice how other car enthusiasts love the aggressive rapid shifting and the sound it makes. This is similar, not exact, to how the Stingray's A8 performs.

I had manual corvettes in the past, which I loved, but I'm very satisfied with the performance of this new auto/semi-auto Stingray.

JLG

"Warren, I think you need to go try that Scud out and then come back and tell us what you think. I have a sneaking suspicion that you might change your "tone" just a tiny bit. That shotgun blast to the back is incredibly intoxicating.

I have driven the California with its instantaneous shifts and although impressive in its own right, I still prefer the Scuds more violent and visceral gear changes. I do hope you are right about Ferrari not refining the 458 so much that this "shotgun" blast is lost.

But seriously man, go test drive that Scuderia."
    2015 Z51 Stingray Coupe, 3LT, Shark Gray, A8, Mag Ride, NPP exhaust, PDR/Nav, Split Spoke Black Machined Wheels, Carbon Flash Spoiler and Mirrors, Carbon Flash Badges, Yellow Calipers, Kalahari Int, GT Seats with Suede Micro Inserts, Suede Upper Trim, Personalized Plaque, Lower on Stock Bolts, Weekend/Pleasure Car, Ordered April 2014, Change to 15 Model in July 2014, Delivered on Dec 22, 2014, Almost 9 month wait for this Stingray...

Past Vettes:
    97 Coupe Black
    01 Coupe Silver
    05 Z51 Coupe Black

Mileage
    3 Million
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    As far as the jolting shift is concerned, I do not object to a shotgun type sensation following the downshift of the transmission. What I think speaks for an inferior transmission design is when the transmission then up-shifts and it sounds like you hit a big hunk of metal with a sledgehammer. Not in a thousand years would I justify that design. I would expect nothing less than a refined transmission design with smooth up shifts. As I said, the SL55AMG I had did it perfect. The Corvette Engineers should aspire to that perfection, nothing less (don't try to explain an inferior design away as being exhilarating or cool!).

Member #
    Liked
    587 times
    Let's see, it takes a $217,000 SL 65 AMG to almost match the $60,000 StingRay 0-60 time, both being automatics.
    Wayne's 1st Vette likes this.

Mileage
    3 Million
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RCjr View Post
    Let's see, it takes a $217,000 SL 65 AMG to almost match the $60,000 StingRay 0-60 time, both being automatics.
    That is still no excuse for making a clunky transmission!

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    3712 times
    Quote Originally Posted by whillusa View Post
    I do not object to a shotgun type sensation following the downshift of the transmission.
    I am not sure what you mean by that. A shotgun would push you backwards. A downshift could cause you to feel yourself moving forward with respect to the car.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Mileage
    3 Million
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rdslon01 View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by that. A shotgun would push you backwards. A downshift could cause you to feel yourself moving forward with respect to the car.
    I am talking about the initial surge immediately following the downshift after fully depressing the gas pedal.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    12k+
    Member #
    Liked
    6951 times
    I am talking about the initial surge immediately following the downshift after fully depressing the gas pedal.
    I am not following- why would you go WOT immediately after downshifting? The normal reason to downshift is to allow the engine to engine brake the car and/or shift the weight distribution in a turn for example.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    I am not following- why would you go WOT immediately after downshifting? The normal reason to downshift is to allow the engine to engine brake the car and/or shift the weight distribution in a turn for example.
    There are more reasons to downshift than that JS. In my M7, I downshift and go WOT to launch the car into warp speed lol

Depending on the RPMs I'm traveling in, I may drop 2 gears and disappear.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    12k+
    Member #
    Liked
    6951 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cdbrito View Post
    There are more reasons to downshift than that JS. In my M7, I downshift and go WOT to launch the car into warp speed lol

Depending on the RPMs I'm traveling in, I may drop 2 gears and disappear.
    OK, did not think of that.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Mileage
    3 Million
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I am NOT downshifting. The transmission is right after I punched the gas (WOT). That initial surge than is smooth. But when the trans then shifts up into the next higher gear, still at WOT, that is exactly the point where the transmission produces this incredible clunk.

Exec. Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    14141 times
    Perhaps there is an issue with yours, for not hearing that extremely pronounced on all A8's? What mode do you have it in, for as you know, the quickness of the shifting increases from tour to sport to track -- and am guessing that so does the sound of that change increase as you move to sport, and more when to track?

Perhaps related, when fairly late in the development of the C6, and then Chief Engineer Dave Hill was in the process of working on the C6, he met with a large focus group of Corvette owners and asked them this question, "would you rather I take out the drive link shifting clunk and or give you an extra 10 HP," the answer in the room was unanimous, "we want the 10 HP!"
    John

Fortunate owner of "WRP SPD," our Z06! [7M, stage 2+ coupe]. List of mods here:
    Hidden Content

Lifetime & Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum!

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    3712 times
    Ah, I got it. I thought you were talking about a downshift while braking; however, you meant a downshift when punching the gas.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    3712 times
    Quote Originally Posted by elegant View Post
    Perhaps related, when fairly late in the development of the C6, and then Chief Engineer Dave Hill was in the process of working on the C6, he met with a large focus group of Corvette owners and asked them this question, "would you rather I take out the drive link shifting clunk and or give you an extra 10 HP," the answer in the room was unanimous, "we want the 10 HP!"
    I think some people new to Corvette would look at that and say, "That is exactly the problem, not the answer."

Let's face it: Corvette people are always going to be Corvette people. For new converts for the future, GM needs to think what should be provided to win them over, not what to provide that the already-existing loyalists prefer.

If you think about that for a while, John, I hope you eventually can agree with me. I know you have said in the past that you want Corvette to do what is necessary (continual change/improvement) to provide for a possible future where the C10 can not only exist, but thrive.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    3712 times
    Wow. How perfect that this post from joemessman is on another thread that I just read which precisely makes my point above. What does he like best about the car? It isn't the HP, it is the...

Quote Originally Posted by joemessman View Post
    As far as reliability, what really impressed me, and I'm not kidding, is that there was not one rattle in the car. It is the first car I have ever purchased that did not have at least a rattle or two. And when I first drove my wife wondered why we waited so long. I couldn't go back to another vehicle in this class or even higher.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links