All-New 8L90 8-Speed Automatic Transmission
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: All-New 8L90 8-Speed Automatic Transmission

Member #
    Liked
    1827 times

Exclamation All-New 8L90 8-Speed Automatic Transmission

There is a lot of information here. No small wonder that there have been some teething issues with this tranny and its related control systems.
    All-New 8L90 8-Speed Automatic Transmission
    VetteAzul, ALF01 and Sciros like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1827 times

Reprogramming Procedures for the 8L90 8-Speed Transmission

“Several reprogramming procedures must be performed after replacement of some components on the new 8L90 8-speed transmission available on the 2015 Corvette, Silverado, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, and Escalade. These procedures are covered in detail in the appropriate Service Information. In addition, the reprogramming procedures also will be used on other transmission applications in future GM models.
    Solenoid Valve Characterization Reprogramming
    Characterization reprogramming is a new programming procedure. If characterization is not completed when required, shift quality can be less than optimal and may cause the customer to return with a shift concern.
    The solenoids in the 8-speed transmission require unique performance characteristic data in order to function at maximum efficiency. This data is programmed and stored in the vehicle’s Transmission Control Module (TCM). (Fig. 4) When a transmission assembly, TCM, or solenoids are replaced during service, the performance characteristic data for the solenoids must be retrieved from the Techline Information System (TIS) website server (the cloud) and programmed into the TCM…”

Reprogramming Procedures for the 8L90 8-Speed Transmission
    ALF01 and VetteAzul like this.

Member #
    i need some advise!

I have placed an order for a z51 in automatic, but having second thoughts on the automatic transmission, im from new York where there's a bit of traffic but the car wont be my everyday car anyways, I have my conmute car as well, I know how to drive manual trasnmision but not an expert , when I drove automatic with paddle shifters , as I was downshifting I did not feel the nice sound of the engine you would normally feel when you drive manual cars, I have until tomorrow to change my mind, im concern I would get tired of shifting in the city but also scare I would take away from the corvette by choosing a automatic car, may not be as fun if I choose auto, im just trying to make best decision I can please advice...

Gold Supporting Member
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    331 times
    Go for the A8. I traded my 2014 M7 for the 2015 A8 because I was tired of the shifting in city driving. The novelty wore off. I really enjoy the A8 along with the performance exhaust. Sounds great!
    banjo and Ashimar like this.
    2015 A8 Stingray 2LT, Black, Black Wheels, Performance Exhaust, Nav, PDR, Transparent Top. Previous- 2014 Stingray M7, Blade Silver Metallic, Red Comp Sport Seats, Red Calipers, Carbon Flash Hood Stripe, 1997 C5

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    12k+
    Member #
    Liked
    6951 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pdiaz8455 View Post
    i need some advise!

I have placed an order for a z51 in automatic, but having second thoughts on the automatic transmission, im from new York where there's a bit of traffic but the car wont be my everyday car anyways, I have my conmute car as well, I know how to drive manual trasnmision but not an expert , when I drove automatic with paddle shifters , as I was downshifting I did not feel the nice sound of the engine you would normally feel when you drive manual cars, I have until tomorrow to change my mind, im concern I would get tired of shifting in the city but also scare I would take away from the corvette by choosing a automatic car, may not be as fun if I choose auto, im just trying to make best decision I can please advice...
    Welcome to our forum Pdiaz8455. I seriously doubt anyone can really provide you definitive information to assist in your decision. The 'sound' of the automatic can most definitely sound like the manual when using the paddles and downshifting. But a lot will depend on what drive mode you were in and how the sound management was set- if you are in sport or track and have NPP 'open' (automatic setting to match drive mode turned OFF) you will get the same great engine and exhaust sound right down to the burbles. How you drive, where you drive and how you intend on using your Z51 are more critical to determining whether you should go with a manual or an automatic. Also what is the deadline you are facing tomorrow? Are you planning on a 2016 (if so tomorrow is not the decision point), if you are going after a 2015 it must be one a dealer already has ordered or had in stock or coming in. The best thing you can do is drive both the manual and the auto in situations similar to those you will be enjoying your new Z51 in. That will help you decide if you enjoy using the clutch every time you switch gears, come to a stop, sit at a light, start on a hill, go through twisties, etc OR get just as much thrill out of handling your car without using a clutch. Best of luck with your decision.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Gold Supporting Member
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    278 times
    Our 14 A6 works great no regreats but our 15 A8 is even better, When you get on it, it shifts so fast its unreal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    16, ZO6 Coupe, Torch Red, 2LZ, Chrome Rims, Jet Black, Auto, Nav, PDR, visable carbon fiber roof, Stage 3 Aero , Keith & Joy

Gold Supporting Member
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    I too wanted an automatic. I am coming from a 99 Ferrari 360 with the F1 transmission which was their first generation single clutch transmissions. The first thing I did when I bought it 20 months ago was to swap out the TCU for one from the Challenge Stradale race car. It improved shifts dramatically and I'm waiting to see if the GM statement that the shift times rival that of the dual clutch competitors is true as I am spoiled with the Ferrari paddle shifts.
    Alan
    Mack likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1827 times
    Paddle away Alan...Paddle away! Let us hear from you on your A-8 thoughts.

Gold Supporting Member
    Gold Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    In Europe, it's not a sports car if it is automatic. That's for old folks. In the Netherlands, you have to take your driver license exam in a manual car, otherwise the license is restricted to automatic cars only. That's embarrassing...
    smackYYZ likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    I learned to drive in a '58 Willys and one of my cars has always been a manual. All of my corvettes have been manuals and daily drivers. Driving in Southern CA can be a challenge. Being self employed and able to choose my driving times helps. I still find times when I am in bumper to bumper traffic and I find moving back and forth between brake and accelerator no more annoying than pressing the clutch and brake. The fun I get from shifting when not in traffic far outweighs the annoyance, but that is just me.
    2015 Z06 Coupe - 3LZ - M7 - Stage 2 - Black/Black - Chrome - Full Wrap (Suntek) - Daily Driver

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    2692 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Havingfun View Post
    In Europe, it's not a sports car if it is automatic. That's for old folks. In the Netherlands, you have to take your driver license exam in a manual car, otherwise the license is restricted to automatic cars only. That's embarrassing...
    Old school minds. I guess a modern Ferrari or McLaren or Porsche GT3 aren't sports cars....

And it's not just the Netherlands that requires testing with manuals but with them becoming much more rare that will change some day.
    Chip and RubberBurner like this.
    Mark

2015 Porsche Boxster GTS
    2014 2LT Z51 7sp Coupe (sold)
    2014 RAM 1500 (tow vehicle)
    2015 Camaro SS/RS (wife's daily driver)

Gold Supporting Member
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    C7 15,000 miles
    Member #
    Liked
    2173 times
    The worst automotive invention ever was the Kettering electric self starter. Allowed all those women and weaklings to get behind the wheel.
    Order placed Sept 16 2014, Roadster, 2LT, Z51 mag ride, 8AT, PDR/NAV. Night Race Blue, Jet Black interior, Red Calipers, Carbon Flash Badges.
    wrapped in Xpel Ultimate, came home Oct 31. Using Range AFM Suppression
    "The Beast"

Gold Supporting Member
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    1201 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Havingfun View Post
    I was thinking the same thing as mjw after reading my June Car & Driver, Jaguar F-type R Coupe vs. Mercedes-AMG GT S, Porsche 911 Carrera GTS comparo test. All automatics. All great sports cars. As for the C7, IMHO, M7/A8 is a personal preference, just like Artic White/Black or any other color. Both great trannys, all great colors. Our C7's, regardless of M7/A8, are great sports cars.
    Daveh, RubberBurner and LGARCIA like this.
    2015 A8 Night Race Blue Callaway coupe. Callaway SC 627 package, custom dual graphite hood/nose stripes with hydro carbon fiber vent. G3 Carbon splitter and rear diffuser fins. C7 Carbon carbon fiber side skirts. Z06 style black chrome wheels with Weapon X spacers. ACS bolt on wickerbills

Previous Vettes: '69 LeMans Blue vert, '96 black coupe, '99 black coupe, '05 LeMans Blue coupe.

Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    The worst automotive invention ever was the Kettering electric self starter. Allowed all those women and weaklings to get behind the wheel.

Tell that to Danica .......
    Chip, smackYYZ and LGARCIA like this.

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    I've had seven Vette's, only one of which was an automatic. I agonized over the 8L90 vs M7 for my 2015. I went with the 8L90 and I am absolutely thrilled with my decision. This transmission is nothing short of amazing.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links