Stingray Corvette Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Battery Protection Option

51K views 75 replies 24 participants last post by  Chip 
#1 ·
I'm about to order my new C7 and I see this battery protection option. The dealers have given me 3 different answers...Can anybody explain exactly what this is/does? Is it worth it?

#2 ·
I just ordered one from gmpartsdirect. It is similar to a trickle charger but not a steady charge...it only charges when needed.... if I understand correctly. Apparently, the C7 electronics draws a reasonable amount of battery power, even when the car is idle. So, if I'm ever going to leave the car for a period of a week or two, I'll attach it. Hope this helps...a little, at least.

#3 ·
My understanding is that the option provides a sophisticated battery maintainer similar to the CTEK 3300. It plugs into the accessory ('cigarette') outlet in the rear of the trunk which remains 'live' when the ignition is off and allows you to charge/maintain your battery when you are not driving the C7 for extended periods of time. It, or a CTEK 3300, is a worthwhile investment if you don't drive your car frequently. It is especially important if you put your car up during the winter or when there is snow on the ground. Not only does it keep your battery fully charged (there are a number of systems on the C7 that slowly drain down the battery when it sits) but will also automatically goes into a desulphation function which will normally lengthen the life of your battery. I have used them on all of my cars for years with great success. :cool:

Reactions: SCR2014Vette
#4 ·
You could piece the package together with a CTEK or a Battery Tender (my favorite) but by the time you're done your at $75 so you might as well just buy the GM badged part.

OTOH, if you already have something like I do, a wall mounted 4 bank charger (Battery Tender) then it's just a $10 adaptor.

#5 ·
Great idea. I just ordered one myself.

#21 ·
Hi I have a Schumacher "Fully Automatic Onboard Battery Charger/Maintainer". 1.5 amp 12 volt. Model # SE 112S. The item is described in detail at the Schumacher web site. I used it with my 1989 vette. It has the alligator clips for connection to the battery. Can I replace those clips with an accessory plug and plug it into the accessory outlet in the cargo section of the c7 to maintain the battery without causing any problems?? It seems to me the maintainer I have works the same as the CTEK.

I am at TPW this week for my new c7.

#8 ·
That's good to know. Ive had battery issues with my prior corvettes as I travel during the week and batteries seem to run out of juice over time. Ive had to replace batteries every 3 or so years. Hopefully this will prolong life.

#9 ·
Are there any definitive descriptions that new owners can give us (that have ordered battery protection package)?

Is it just an 'automatic' charger that plugs into a charging port ('lighter' outlet) behind the seats... as I've read? And run the cord out a door/hatch and let the weather strip deform to accommodate the cord? I did order the option, and was hoping that there would just be a plug somewhere easily accessible (like a wheel well, or under the rear of the car).

#10 ·
The plug is back by the rear inside of the trunk.

#11 ·
So you plug in and run the cord out from the hatch (you said trunk, it's not a convertible is it?) with the charger sitting outside the car?

#12 ·
I am referring to the coupe. You plug the accessory end into the outlet and run the cord between the hatch and the body. The unit is self sits outside your car and plugs into a regular outlet. It is very small, does not generate significant heat, had LEDs to explain what it is doing. You (if it is a CTEK or similar unit) can leave it attached indefinitely without concern.

Reactions: i10fwy
#16 · (Edited)
Just for the record; The Battery Tender chargers come with two forms of attachment wiring. Clips and a hard wire harness, both with quick disconnect to the charger. Unless they have added a power port adaptor that part is available as a added cost option.
Electronics accessory Battery charger Electronic device Power supply Technology
Vehicle Yellow Auto part Car Technology
Font Technology Cable Auto part Electronic device
Audio equipment Subwoofer Vehicle door Auto part Loudspeaker

Edit:I've added pictures with some of the connection wiring that comes standard with these units. I also have a picture that shows the location of the power port location in the back interior of the C-7. I suggest that if you use the Battery Tender product buy the Battery Tender Plus as it provides for up to 1.25 Amps. of charging capability. The BT Jr. only provides .75 amps which may not keep the C-7 fully charged. One thing that you will notice is that even after you have driven your car its battery will still except some charging before the charger goes into a "float" mode.

#17 · (Edited)
Just for the record; The Battery Tender chargers come with two forms of attachment wiring. Clips and a hard wire harness, both with quick disconnect to the charger. Unless they have added a power port adaptor that part is available as a added cost option.
CTEK 3300 is the same way. It has the quick disconnect to which you can use the clips or hard wire harness, or as an optional purchase, the cigarette/power port adapter. With the power port adapter it comes to about $80 on the internet.

http://smartercharger.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/CTEK-Comfort-Indicator-Cig-Plug.jpg
http://smartercharger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/CTEK_MUS3300.jpg

#18 ·
Have to admit that my battery tender's quick connect came in handy on my yellow '03 convertible once... I'd forgotten that I had it hooked up, and it acted as an 'emergency disconnect' when I backed out of the garage. Didn't realize what I'd done until after my drive... oops. No damage though (thank goodness). I used to slip the wire out from under the hood at the headlight cover/fender/hood intersection... then it could just hang to the floor from under the car cover during days that were too sloppy for driving the car (which here in Wisconsin, are a LOT of days in the winter - Dec to Mar most years). Expecting my C7 around end of November... so won't get many miles before the weather will turn ugly :(

#19 ·
Since the battery in the C7 is in the rear, the accessory plug will be the easiest way to connect CTEK or equivalent smart chargers.

#22 ·
#23 ·
Tnx Chip. The web site says it is "Fully automatic. Turns on and off as needed". I think I'll try Radio Shack for the accessory plug or would a car parts store have it? Thanks for the under hood info. I might do that but I like the idea of the convenience of using the rear accessory outlet.

#25 · (Edited)
Ok just got the plug at Radio Shack. I'll have to cut the wires to get the alligator clips off and to put on the plug but thats OK. Because of the design of the plug I won't have to solder. The plug has a 10amp fuse in it (only way it came). I assume that shouldn't be a problem for a 1.5amp maintainer. Also, it seems most folks just keep the minder installed when not using the car. Because of my situation, I don't want to keep it attached all the time. My plan is to use the charger only periodically for short periods (few hours) if the car has been sitting for a couple weeks without being used. Anybody see any issues with any of this??

I'm into my TPW for my new c7.

#26 ·
Boomer; Remember that a 1.5 amp charger may not "charge" your battery fully,(in most cases) but it will maintain it at whatever state of charge you put your car away with. A couple of weeks off the charger might create low voltage problems. Especially if the battery is not at full charge in the first place and it will not be on a new car. What I do with my "garage queen" is to drive it when I can, hook up my battery tender and let it tell me via the light display when it is @ full charge then remove the charger. I reapply the charger at least once a week if I am not driving it that week. Nothing special or "iron clad" about this method, it's just the way I do it. Remember this car is prone to a great variety of issues when battery voltage is not maintained at optimum levels.

#27 · (Edited)
OK excellent info.. Your use doesn't sound that much different than what I had in mind..Maybe I do it once a week rather than two weeks..Also I plan to check the charge with a meter after the car arrives and periodically thereafter..I plan to check the charge at the accessory plug when it is installed by just contacting the meter leads to the plus and minus side of the plug without the minder in line. My charger also has a light indicating "charged". When you say "it will maintain it at whatever state of charge you put your car away with"..won't it add some charge and if connected long enough bring the battery to full charge?? (unless the battery is very low or dead) I believe the CTEK is less than 1.5amp.

#29 ·
I bet much of that parasitic loss has to do with the z51 package..plus mag ride..I bet it draws all the time...I don't have that stuff..I am hoping I can maintain the charge like you have...but I know next summer..the car will sit for two months and there will be no "maintainer" attached...so we will see how it starts with a jump after that... TNX Chip

#33 ·
Thank you...The first yr I do this I'm going to leave it connected..but if that doesn't work out well I will disconnect the cables...I do plan to have to jump start it after the two month absence....so since this car has an apparent prob with maintain electric power...the jump start is in the cards..I look forward to it..

#36 ·
I'm just curious why you don't want to leave a battery maintainer attached to the car whenever you are not driving it? That's pretty much what Chevrolet and everyone else in this thread but you is saying.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

#38 · (Edited)
Please don't ask me to explain why, but for a two month period each year I must leave it in a commercial storage facility where it will be locked away completely unattended with no AC available while I am "out of town". Otherwise I do "what Chevrolet and everyone else in this thread (including me) is saying" regarding use of a maintainer. See my prior posts in this thread regarding my battery maintainer.

#48 ·
I think as long as the battery is fully charged you should be OK, but the key is to make sure the battery is fully charged. Don't make the assumption that because it is a "new battery" you will be OK. Check it, charge it if necessary, and be mindful that long periods of non-use might give you low voltage issues and possibly shorten your battery's lifespan.

#45 ·
At least one vendor made kits to incorporate the Chevy/CTEK charger with a quick disconnect to permanent connections, that mounted either at the back by the license plate or in front through the grill for the C6. It shouldn't be long before they come up with a C7 variation.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

#44 ·
The Chevy charger looks like the CTEK 3300 I just purchased from Amazon for under $55. It is a high tech, 4 stage, 3.3 amp max charger with a pulsed maintenance mode. I had used my 15 year old battery charger on the C7 because I read a low battery voltage. After fully charging, removed the charger and in 24 hours it still read a low 12.4 volts. In my Street Rod I have a Schumacher charger connected as I have had for 8+years. However had one fail but the green LED still showed it was maintaining a charge! Thought it was the battery! Tried to get a replacement from them but was given a bogus place to send it! I bought the CTEK to see if perhaps this more sophisticated charger would be better. On the CTEK web site they show what looks like the Chevy charger, brand labeled for BMW, Lamborghini, Audi, Alfa Romeo, and Maserati! Used it, it said fully charged after ~10 hours but after I removed it, in 24 hours was still was reading 12.4 volts. Called the dealer service manager who said if all is working fine (which it is) don’t worry about it! Still monitoring, and it does stay near the 12.4 volts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.