Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: gas gauge goes EMPTY!

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times

gas gauge goes EMPTY!

Aloha, My 2015 Corvette Stingray coupe gas gauge reads empty with a full tank of gas. I have read all the posts here that comment on removing fuses to reset the display....and or putting gas additives in the tank to clean the sensor. I will try a gas additive to clean up the sender unit, but my question is about "what exact fuse # do I remove to reset communication from the sender?" I don't have what other posts refer to in my car's 2 fuse banks front or rear. I also would like a definition to what the fuses abbreviations stand for. For example in the rear fuse bank what does PEPS 1 and PEPS 2 stand for? And what do Body Control Modules 1 through 4 in rear or bcm 5 through 7 in the front control? Also what does Logistics 2 control? Also in the rear bank is GBS no clue? I tried removing Pressure Vent fuse (Coupe only) but no luck. When I removed #4 Engine Control module in the front fuse bank the check engine light display went away and showed 1/2 a tank of gas ( it is full ) but then dropped back to empty and upon next restart the check engine display is back and the tank show 1/2 full as it does with other fuse removals temporarily and then drops to empty again. IF any of you experienced Corvette owners have some answers to help educate me I will really appreciate it, just can't drive a gas guzzler and not know how much or little gas I really have, (I have a heavy foot at opportune moments!) Thanks again for all help. DavidName:  DSC_0012 (1).JPG
Views: 776
Size:  4.23 MB
    Last edited by HawaiianDrummer; 07-09-2016 at 11:31 PM.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    44 miles a day
    Member #
    Liked
    1931 times
    I just read this thread Fuel Gauge stopped working

Your best option may be a visit to the dealer. They can scan for codes and possibly detect if a sensor is bad in either the left or right fuel tanks. If that's the case, then they should repair it under warranty.
    Last edited by Vigilance247; 07-07-2016 at 09:36 AM.
    HawaiianDrummer and elegant like this.
    NCM Lifetime Member

Vettenessa: 2015 Arctic White/Adrenaline Red 3LT Z51 M7 Coupe, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, GT seats, Performance data recorder, Carbon fiber instrument panel, Carbon flash badge package, Carbon flash spoiler and mirrors, Magnetic selective ride control, Performance exhaust, Electronic limited slip rear differential, Red painted brake calibers, Black machined aluminum wheels. Ordered on 10/23/2014. Status code 3000 on 12/18/2014. Status code 3300 on 01/15/15. TPW 01/26/15. Produced 01/15. Arrived 02/12/15.
    Hidden Content Valentine's Day
    2016 BASH
    Forum Rules
    Vendor Rules
    For-Sale Rules
    Business Rules
    Introductions
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    1801 times
    If you have a check engine light as well, you can clear it using a scan tool and possibly get your gauge back, especially if it is fuel related. Just make sure to put some cleaner in the tank too to help restore the sending unit.
    HawaiianDrummer likes this.
    2014 WS Stingray Coupe 3LT 7M-Ordered 3/11/14, Built- 4/28-29- Home- 5/7/14 - LGB- Brownstone w/suede, micro-suede, NPP, Chrome 5 spokes, Lloyd's Custom front & cargo mats, CAGS, Curb Alert Mini, Granatelli Nose Savers, Blue coils & Plug wires, Filtermag. Elite Engineering Catch Can, RPI Custom waterfall, American Hydrocarbon custom underhood covers & components, Cultrag Z51 front and rear Sway Bars, Borla 60547 X-pipe, MGW Short Throw Shifter, GM Jake Hood Stinger, Blackfire Finishing Products-Hidden Content See my album here: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    350 times
    To soon to be a dirty sensor unless you did a winter storage* with less then a full tank as I did with my C5. When the problem with the gage occurred, additives and a diet of Chevron corrected the issue.

Otherwise go to the dealer and get it fixed under warrantee.

In regards to my C7, it is on a steady diet of tier 1 gas (mostly Chevron) and Techron additive. And, I always keep the tank full when unused for an extended period.

*Other then Hawaii LOL
    Last edited by Fleet; 07-08-2016 at 10:00 AM.
    2015, Z51 MRC, white Coupe, 3LT Kalahari, 7m since 2/4/15
    03 Z06 Black/Black 12 Years
    89 Z51white/tan coupe 6m 14 Years
    84 white/red coupe 4+3m 4 Year
    84 white/red coupe Auto 1 Year
    80 white/tan coupe 4m 4 Years
    69 427 white/black coupe 4m 10 Years

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    1023 times
    Aloha David,

As I'm reading your post, I kept thinking, why is any of this your problem? Your car is under warranty. I'm guessing a dealer visit is not very convenient (Is Hilo the only Chevy dealer on the Big Island now?) and your thinking if it's an easy fix, you can save a day spent going to and from and waiting. Just remember, you don't have to figure any of this out. Your nearest Chevy dealer has to figure this out and fix your car at no charge to you.

My advice is that if anything more than pulling a fuse is involved, spend the time to visit the dealer. Additives to try and clean sensors, etc. isn't going to fix your problem. It is mechanical as in sensor/processor/controller needs a reset or replacement, bad wire, etc. See the dealer. Also, keep in mind a reset might just be a temporary fix.

I was just on your Island for the first time in May and I envy your getting to live there

best,
    /Don

Diablo Azul, 2015 Laguna Blue /Jet Black Z06 A8 Convertible, created January 27, 2015.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    734 times

gas gauge goes EMPTY!

David
    I had the same issue with my 2014. They ended up replacing both sensors, right and left tanks. Fully covered under warranty, took about 3-4 days to get it fixed. They tried to tell me I wasn't using top tier gasoline. However that was not the case as I only use Costco or Shell. If you have records of gas purchases I suggest having them available when discussing with the dealer.
    2014 C7 Z51 3LT A6 Laguna Blue with Kalahari Interior. NPP, MYC & FE4. Delivered 4/17/14.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    1023 times
    They tried to tell me I wasn't using top tier gasoline. However that was not the case as I only use Costco or Shell. If you have records of gas purchases I suggest having them available when discussing with the dealer.

That is unfortunate and annoying and a real pet peeve of mine. A word of advice to everyone. We do not have to negotiate with the dealer to get a repair during the warranty period. They are obligated to repair our cars during the life of the warranty, period. In this case, the gas you might have used is totally irrelevant and beside the point. If they can prove you've been running your car on corn squeezins' maybe they have an issue, but anything short of that makes them completely out of line. There is no caveat in the warranty based upon gas used, OEM filters, etc. The entire point of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was to outlaw this nonsense.

Never let any dealer or service manager bully you, make you defensive when making a warranty claim or attempt to make you 'present evidence' to obtain the free repair you are entitled to as a matter of right and law.

Dave may have only one option on the Big Island, but most of us have multiple options even if others are not convenient. If any dealer or service manager gives you a hard time on a warranty claim, you should, 1) trash them in the survey you will get after the service, and 2) call GM customer service and complain and demand a response. For the benefit of every consumer we should do these thing.

Maybe I'm lucky. I bought my car from Kerbeck but it is serviced at Don Brown Chevy a couple miles from my home, and I have received nothing but complete professionalism and courtesy in my dealings with them. That is the experience we are all entitled too and have an absolute right to expect.

[/rantoff]. Sorry, but I just hate it when I hear this stuff.
    HawaiianDrummer and STINGmole like this.
    /Don

Diablo Azul, 2015 Laguna Blue /Jet Black Z06 A8 Convertible, created January 27, 2015.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Aloha, In reply to Don and others who say take it to the dealer for covered warranty work....Here in Hilo and the rest of the Big Island, the Chevrolet dealerships with "Service Departments" all closed down years ago, here in Hilo there is a Chevy Dealer that only sells cars but does not have a service department. They contract with Big Island Toyota across the street to do all their warranty work. OK so when I took my car there for it's first routine oil change and checks "They actually put in 10 qts of oil in my LT1 non Z engine! It is only takes 7 qts. when I drove off and the car started spewing billows of dark smoke out the exhaust, I returned back to that dealer and talked with their service manager and even he said my car takes 10 qts by the cars Vin # WRONG! I'm sure they thought I had a Z because of the Z exterior package I have, but my car definitely is a non Z. (and my vin shows the non Z version, I looked it up) If they were a real Chevrolet dealership they would have known that the oil fill and dipstick for a Z engine is on the passenger side of the motor, not on the drivers side of the engine like MINE IS. So I had them drain out the excess oil and all is well now. BUT that is why I'm hesitant to take it back there. Back to my post about needing fuse abbreviation definitions for my 2015 Corvette, looking to find which fuse or fuses are for fuel sender and or related signal. Thanks again, David

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Aloha, what exactly is a "scan tool"and where do I find one? Thanks, David

Mileage
    94,000 miles in Vettes
    Member #
    Liked
    3193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianDrummer View Post
    Aloha, what exactly is a "scan tool"and where do I find one? Thanks, David
    Here's a basic example, and most auto parts stores will have them.
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 604
Size:  78.8 KB
    Last edited by Mobius; 07-08-2016 at 06:26 AM. Reason: added instructional video
    Current Vettes:
    '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
    '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
    '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust - Ordered on 4-1-2014, 2000 Status on 4-10-2014, TPW 5-12-2014, Built on 5-16-2014, Picked-up at dealership on 5-30-2014
    "Delta t = 23"

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    1023 times
    Aloha, In reply to Don and others who say take it to the dealer for covered warranty work....Here in Hilo and the rest of the Big Island, the Chevrolet dealerships with "Service Departments" all closed down years ago,

Wow. Just wow. Well, this explains everything. Sorry to hear this Dave and what a shame. So there is no GM service on the island?
    /Don

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Aloha, update on gas gauge....I added techron (1 oz per gal of gas) with a tank of ethanol free 100% fuel, and purchased a Bosch top of the line Code Connect reader, tried erasing 9 codes that pertained to gas gauge... got it down 4 codes remaining but it rejects erasing those last 4 codes... and it removed check engine symbol and shows 1/2 a tank of gas (just filled it again full) BUT everytime I restart the car, the check engine symbols shows up again and the gauge goes to Empty. I will see if the gas additives free it up after some time goes by, but it might be a bad ground to fuel sender, or bad or stuck fuel sender unit. Time will tell.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    1801 times
    Yes unfortunately it sounds like you probably have a real issue of some sort and will need to take it to a certified GM dealer to get it resolved. The good thing though is it should be covered under warranty. Let us know what they determine is the issue.
    2014 WS Stingray Coupe 3LT 7M-Ordered 3/11/14, Built- 4/28-29- Home- 5/7/14 - LGB- Brownstone w/suede, micro-suede, NPP, Chrome 5 spokes, Lloyd's Custom front & cargo mats, CAGS, Curb Alert Mini, Granatelli Nose Savers, Blue coils & Plug wires, Filtermag. Elite Engineering Catch Can, RPI Custom waterfall, American Hydrocarbon custom underhood covers & components, Cultrag Z51 front and rear Sway Bars, Borla 60547 X-pipe, MGW Short Throw Shifter, GM Jake Hood Stinger, Blackfire Finishing Products-Hidden Content See my album here: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    4506 times
    David, get your C7 masterpiece to a dealer and let them do the warranty work. Hope you get it squared away and back to wheeling around the island.

SF
    Rick
    2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Masterpiece, Torch Red, Jet Black Interior. Delivered to our home on 2 March 2014 from MacMulkin Chevrolet, Nashua, NH.
    Options: 2LT Package, 6-Speed Automatic Transmission, Chrome Wheels, Performance Exhaust, Navigation, Transparent Roof, Red Brake Calipers, Battery Protection.
    Mods: FormulaOne Performance Tint, CQuartz Sealant, XPEL Ultimate Protection Film (Hood, Front Fenders, Bumper, Mirrors, Headlights, Door Handle Cups, Door Seals), RPI Jack Pucks, WeatherTech Floor Liners.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    44 miles a day
    Member #
    Liked
    1931 times
    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Marine View Post
    David, get your C7 masterpiece to a dealer and let them do the warranty work. Hope you get it squared away and back to wheeling around the island.

SF
    Rick
    Unfortunately, the dealer does not service the cars. See post #8.
    NCM Lifetime Member

Vettenessa: 2015 Arctic White/Adrenaline Red 3LT Z51 M7 Coupe, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, GT seats, Performance data recorder, Carbon fiber instrument panel, Carbon flash badge package, Carbon flash spoiler and mirrors, Magnetic selective ride control, Performance exhaust, Electronic limited slip rear differential, Red painted brake calibers, Black machined aluminum wheels. Ordered on 10/23/2014. Status code 3000 on 12/18/2014. Status code 3300 on 01/15/15. TPW 01/26/15. Produced 01/15. Arrived 02/12/15.
    Hidden Content Valentine's Day
    2016 BASH
    Forum Rules
    Vendor Rules
    For-Sale Rules
    Business Rules
    Introductions
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content