Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By glen e

Thread: 2015's: Two New Colors

Member #
    Liked
    2257 times

2015's: Two New Colors

Had a fortuitous invite to Pratt & Miller Engineering this morning. They are the folks who recently built the Corvette Race Team C7.R's, and the C5.R and the C6.R race cars before that. What a fantastic experience to see and talk with their principals! Also, had the privilege of having two sessions at the Pratt and Miller's raceshop facilities, one shop session, and another office session, both led by Doug Feehan, Program Manager GM Corvette Racing. The two C7.R's, recently back from the roar "Before the Rolex," were getting prepped for the January 25-26th Rolex 24 race at Daytona International Raceway.

What has this to do with 2015 Corvette colors? When Doug was showing us and talking about the C7.R's, one person with us astutely noticed, looking at the body panels on the car (and their spares) asked, "is that a different yellow?"

The ever forthright and candid Mr. Feehan (we all love him for his candor and truthfulness) said that, yes, that is a different yellow. It is a brighter, and purer yellow, having less orange tint to it -- so said one of the P&M race car crew. Doug confirmed that when the cars debut in at Daytona, they will be wearing their new yellow and that the 2015 Corvettes will also wear that brighter yellow. He added that both the Z06 and the C7.R at the NAIAS show across town were, however, still wearing 2014 Velocity Yellow. No word on what the new 2015 Corvette yellow will be called.

Couple these comments and what we read in the following article debuting this afternoon from CorvetteBlogger, we have learned that the 2014 model year is also the last year for Cyber Gray, and that consequently two new 2015 Corvette colors will be coming. Probably bad news for those who were wishing that Atomic Orange would return next year and definitely bad news for the many Cyber Gray lovers.

Thanks CorvetteBlogger for the above comparison picture showing 2014 Cyber Gray and the new, 2015 "lighter" Corvette gray, tentatively named either Tiger Shark Gray or Shark Gray.

[Quote=CorvetteBlogger)On display at the 2014 North American Auto Show, this 2015 Corvette Z06 that we thought was Cyber Gray turns out to be a new color for 2015. It wasn’t something that jumped out at us until this morning when the show cars were repositioned and the new 2015 Z06 was side-by-side with a 2014 Cyber Gray Corvette Stingray.

We spoke with Corvette Exterior Manager Kirk Bennion about the colors and he confirmed with us that 2014 will be the last year for the popular Cyber Gray. In 2015, the yet un-named color will be take its place. GM uses different names internally than what we know, and the internal color name is called “Fusion Gray”. Bennion says they are still working on the official name but two names he mentioned are “Shark Gray” and “Tiger Shark Gray”. You can see the difference between the two colors with the “Shark Gray” being a much lighter shade of gray than the Cyber Gray.

In addition to Cyber Gray going away, we also learned that this will indeed be the last year for Velocity Yellow. Although the new Corvette Z06 and C7.R show car introduced yesterday at NAIAS were Velocity Yellow, the 2015 Z06 will be wearing the new color when it goes into production in late 2014 or early 2015.

However, you will be able to see a preview of the new Yellow which will appear on Corvette Racing’s C7.Rs at Daytona later this month.

The C7.R shown at NAIAS is considered a show car but those in Daytona will be the real deal and they will feature the new yellow. Bennion said they since the C7.Rs were making their official debut in Daytona and throughout 2014, it made more sense to go ahead and race then in the new yellow so it wouldn’t have to be changed next year.

Part of the reasoning is that not only are the C7.Rs Yellow, but so are the three transport trucks, the crew’s tool chests and just about anything with a Jake logo.

The new yellow was described to us as being brighter than the current velocity yellow and we have no doubt that the C7.Rs will wear it well for their 2014 TUDOR USCC campaign.[/Quote]
    Last edited by elegant; 01-14-2014 at 03:55 PM.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    1135 times
    as a cyber gray owner, I am ecstatic about this news, it means I won't be seeing my color on the highways as much in a few years and I'll be more exclusive....Cyber gray also mutes the black vents more than any other color avail, without them going away like the black option. Thank you Chevrolet....
    Clarkster likes this.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    345 times
    I really do not understand them dropping cyber gray...I like the darker grays...and I thought it was one of the most popular colors????
    But I understand what Glen is saying will be good for him.
    Torch Red - Adrenaline Red Interior 3LT-Z51,
    Auto, Performance Exhaust, Magnetic Ride Control, Red Brakes, Micro-fiber Trim, Transparent Roof, Carbon Flash Hood Stinger Stripe, Carbon Flash Spoiler and Mirrors...
    and Black Z51 Wheels
    "Foxy"
    Picked up at the Museum 1/7/14

1975 C3 "Lipstic"
    Infinit FX 35 Daily

Member #
    So a different shade of gray, and a different shade of yellow? I was hoping for something a little more exciting.

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    as a cyber gray owner, I am ecstatic about this news, it means I won't be seeing my color on the highways as much in a few years and I'll be more exclusive....Cyber gray also mutes the black vents more than any other color avail, without them going away like the black option. Thank you Chevrolet....

Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2015 Z06
    Joined waiting list 1/20/14
    Lucky #13 @ MacMulkin

Member #
    Liked
    387 times
    I am a little surprised they are dropping cyber grey as it is one of the most popular color for camaro as well. The new yellow might be interesting. Need to see this new grey in person but seems to stepping to close to silver.
    "Waiting for Z06"
    ZR-1 Registry Founder
    NCM Lifetime Member
    1.25 acres NCM Motorsports Park
    www.zr1net.net

Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Soho View Post
    Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As a future cyber grey owner this makes me very happy. Please let my car be made in 2014 and not 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Looking forward to the Tiger Shark Gray. I placed my order for a 2015 today. Loved the Cyber Gray but it was over sold in the C6 and C7. I just hope I like the New Gray as much as I think.

Links