Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Corvette Plant Officially Announces Summer/Fall Shut Down

Gold Supporting Member
    Gold Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3886 times

Corvette Plant Officially Announces Summer/Fall Shut Down

Bowling Green GM Plant Will Temporarily Shut Down to Prepare for New Corvette Production | WKU Public Radio

Bowling Green GM Plant Will Temporarily Shut Down to Prepare for New Corvette Production

The Bowling Green General Motors plant is temporarily shutting down later this year to prepare for the production of the next generation Corvette.

Name:  IMG_9696.JPG
Views: 6790
Size:  530.8 KB
    Official GM Plant picture.

The facility will temporarily lay off employees while the changes are being made.

A spokeswoman for the plant said a decision on the exact dates and length of the shutdown hasn’t been made, but that it would likely cover parts of the summer and fall.

The plant employees about 840 hourly workers, along with 165 salaried individuals. The spokeswoman said some employees will be asked to work through the temporary shutdown, with the plant making those decisions based on the facility’s needs.

The Corvette plant is temporarily halting production to install new equipment and make changes to its vehicle production process.

The Bowling Green plant will begin production on the 2018 Corvette once it reopens following the shutdown.
    The WKU article has changed the first line of their story from "The Bowling Green General Motors plant is temporarily shutting down later this year to prepare for the production of the next generation Corvette" to "The Bowling Green General Motors plant is temporarily shutting down later this year to make changes to its vehicle production process."

UPDATE: The "Bowling Green Daily News" has published the following with additional information.

The General Motors Bowling Green Assembly plant is scheduling an extended shutdown later this year, officials said Monday.

The shutdown comes as the plant employees make the conversation to new facilities and the eventual building of the 7th Generation 2018 Chevrolet Corvette by United Auto Workers 2164 employees.

Employees received word of the planned shutdown Monday, said Lauren Langille, plant communications manager for General Motors Bowling Green Assembly & Spring Hill Manufacturing plants.

Langille said the shutdown is intended to possibly occur sometime during the third and fourth quarters of 2017. Length of the shutdown was not disclosed.

The extended shutdown is for equipment installation, setting up the new car build process for the 7th Generation 2018 Corvette and finishing construction of the nearly half-billion dollar paint shop announced in 2015.

"Once the facility resumes (production), we will go about building the 7th Generation Chevrolet Corvette," Langille ssid.

The exact date when the shutdown begins also has not been decided, she said.

A comment on the National Corvette Museum Facebook page on Monday does shed some light on a possible shutdown date.

"Tours at the Bowling Green Assembly Plant will be closed starting June 16, 2017 due to the 2018 model year changeover. We do not have additional details about when tours will resume," reads the Facebook post made Monday afternoon.

The shutdown of tours doesn't necessarily equate to shutdown of the plant.

Langille also said employment levels at the plant once production resumes "will be similar" to those prior to the shutdown.

The Bowling Green plant employs about 1,000 workers, including 118 workers in October. Employees work on one shift to manufacture the Corvette. There is also an engine-build facility. Work also continues on the construction of a new paint shop. Improvements to the local GM plant total about three-quarters of a billion dollars in recent years.

There was a one week shutdown in early January at the Bowling Green plant that had already been publicized. The Jan. 1 to Jan. 6 shutdown was for the holidays, for maintenance needs and also for construction done on the paint shop.

UAW workers were aware of the more major shutdown decision announced Monday by the company.

A spokesman for UAW Local 2164 did not immediately return a telephone message.

The UAW Region 8 office referred questions to the UAW main office in Detroit.

The union agreement with GM set in place in October 2015 covers four years.

In the agreement there are details that outline how workers are paid during an extended shutdown.

The company has and is pouring billions of dollars into its plants in North America, including for improvements at the Bowling Green plant.
    Last edited by jagamajajaran; 01-30-2017 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Since in "news section," added a Plant picture.
    Hidden Content

What is JAGAMAJAJARAN? The consonants are the first letters of my immediate family members' names, starting with myself, then my wife, then our five kids. The "A"s are "And."

Current Corvettes: C7 2017 Grand Sport Coupe, C4 1991 Bright Red ZR-1, C3 1973 Dark Blue Metallic Coupe, C1 1962 Roman Red Roadster

Previous Corvettes: C7 2015 Night Race Blue Coupe, C7 2014 Velocity Yellow Coupe, C6 2013 Night Race Blue GS Vert, C6 2012 Blade Silver Coupe, C5 2004 Lemans Blue Vert, C5 2003 Black Z06, C5 1999 Navy Blue Metallic Vert, C5 1999 Magnetic Red-II, C5 1998 Light Pewter Metallic Coupe, C4 1994 Competition Yellow Vert, C4 1989 Charcoal Metallic Vert, C3 1980 Silver Coupe, C2 1964 Daytona Blue Metallic Coupe

Exec. Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    14664 times
    Thanks Jag, but like you that press release raises so many questions. Not criticizing them for deliberately keeping many things "unannounced," but wondering, starting with?

When will the next generation be revealed? It truly can not be next NAIAS for this shut down will not be more than a few months long (based on past complete line removal-replacement).

Might the reason for the four Friday shut downs in the next two months to build the first mules?

When will we, as most of believe, get confirmation that the front engined C7 continues along side with the next gen Corvette?

And, hooray, hidden in plain site in that press release, is confirmation that the next generation product produced at the Plant -- which we believe will be a ME, will be a Corvette.
    jagamajajaran likes this.
    John

Fortunate owner of "WRP SPD," our Z06! [7M, stage 2+ coupe]. List of mods here:
    Hidden Content

Lifetime & Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum!

Gold Supporting Member
    Gold Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3886 times
    John, good questions! And so glad they are going to continue to build Corvettes!

In addition, my thoughts have been that 2018 production will be pushed back as late as December. I think it depends on how fast they get everything up and running, but I do know the new plant manager does not like to start something until everything works as it should.

In another discussion on another forum, I had the following discussion with a member there on January 2:

ME: I'm going out on a limb and saying that they won't start 2018 Corvette production until December.

Originally Posted by _________: Interested in your opinion as to why a six month delay in starting the 2018 production in December instead of the traditional June model year changeover.

ME: Recent announcements about significant investment dollars in the Bowling Green Assembly can only equate to major internal plant modifications. It would make sense that they would do this between model years, which means a significant delay in the start up of 2018 production.
    elegant and RCjr like this.
    Hidden Content

What is JAGAMAJAJARAN? The consonants are the first letters of my immediate family members' names, starting with myself, then my wife, then our five kids. The "A"s are "And."

Current Corvettes: C7 2017 Grand Sport Coupe, C4 1991 Bright Red ZR-1, C3 1973 Dark Blue Metallic Coupe, C1 1962 Roman Red Roadster

Previous Corvettes: C7 2015 Night Race Blue Coupe, C7 2014 Velocity Yellow Coupe, C6 2013 Night Race Blue GS Vert, C6 2012 Blade Silver Coupe, C5 2004 Lemans Blue Vert, C5 2003 Black Z06, C5 1999 Navy Blue Metallic Vert, C5 1999 Magnetic Red-II, C5 1998 Light Pewter Metallic Coupe, C4 1994 Competition Yellow Vert, C4 1989 Charcoal Metallic Vert, C3 1980 Silver Coupe, C2 1964 Daytona Blue Metallic Coupe

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    403 times
    VERY VERY POSITIVE NEWS!!!!!! Time to move on bring out the latest technological improvements available. For me as well as a lot of others the old rear wheel, pushrod front engine "old school" mentality needs to be replaced with the next generation sports car ASAP! It seems that GM has through whatever means sensed this and is moving forward sooner than later with innovation that will keep the Corvette very relevant into the future!

If they want to continue to build the old fashioned C7's for a short while fine as long as it does not interfere with the deployment of the high performance version of the mid engine car. That is what I cannot wait to get my hands on. Will probably be a couple of years but am sure it will be worth the wait.
    Last edited by Busa Dave; 01-30-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Mileage
    a lot on this body
    Member #
    Liked
    180 times
    Any dates for the shutdown? Planning a trip there

Gold Supporting Member
    Gold Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3886 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kbmwgt View Post
    Any dates for the shutdown? Planning a trip there
    Nothing officially, but some sources are saying August through October or even November.
    Hidden Content

Exec. Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    14664 times
    Interesting, for the earlier article that was originally published is now changed as quoted below. Note key words now removed in this revised article are the words "future Corvette generation." Did someone misunderstand? Did someone overhear something not supposed to be yet shared? Or just a plain mistake? Think it was a reporting mistake (but do not know). Inquiring minds want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by WKU Public Radio
    Bowling Green GM Plant Will Temporarily Shut Down to Prepare for New Corvette Production (By Kevin Willis)

The Bowling Green General Motors plant is temporarily shutting down later this year to make changes to its vehicle production process.

The facility will temporarily lay off employees while the changes are being made.

A spokeswoman for the plant said a decision on the exact dates and length of the shutdown hasn’t been made, but that it would likely cover parts of the summer and fall.

The plant employees about 840 hourly workers, along with 165 salaried individuals. The spokeswoman said some employees will be asked to work through the temporary shutdown, with the plant making those decisions based on the facility’s needs.

The Corvette plant is temporarily halting production to install new equipment and make changes to its vehicle production process.

The Bowling Green plant will continue production on the 2018 Corvette once it reopens following the shutdown.

Bowling Green GM Plant Will Temporarily Shut Down to Prepare for New Corvette Production | WKU Public Radio
    Last edited by elegant; 01-30-2017 at 12:22 PM.
    John

Fortunate owner of "WRP SPD," our Z06! [7M, stage 2+ coupe]. List of mods here:
    Hidden Content

Lifetime & Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum!

Member #
    Liked
    403 times
    I HOPE IT WAS SOMEONE WHO LET THE CAT OUT OF THE BAG EARLY! Guess we will just have to wait but who knows. Can only hope!

Gold Supporting Member
    Gold Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3886 times
    Hidden Content

Gold Supporting Member
    Gold Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3886 times
    UPDATE: The "Bowling Green Daily News" has published the following with additional information.

The General Motors Bowling Green Assembly plant is scheduling an extended shutdown later this year, officials said Monday.

The shutdown comes as the plant employees make the conversation to new facilities and the eventual building of the 7th Generation 2018 Chevrolet Corvette by United Auto Workers 2164 employees.

Employees received word of the planned shutdown Monday, said Lauren Langille, plant communications manager for General Motors Bowling Green Assembly & Spring Hill Manufacturing plants.

Langille said the shutdown is intended to possibly occur sometime during the third and fourth quarters of 2017. Length of the shutdown was not disclosed.

The extended shutdown is for equipment installation, setting up the new car build process for the 7th Generation 2018 Corvette and finishing construction of the nearly half-billion dollar paint shop announced in 2015.

"Once the facility resumes (production), we will go about building the 7th Generation Chevrolet Corvette," Langille ssid.

The exact date when the shutdown begins also has not been decided, she said.

A comment on the National Corvette Museum Facebook page on Monday does shed some light on a possible shutdown date.

"Tours at the Bowling Green Assembly Plant will be closed starting June 16, 2017 due to the 2018 model year changeover. We do not have additional details about when tours will resume," reads the Facebook post made Monday afternoon.

The shutdown of tours doesn't necessarily equate to shutdown of the plant.

Langille also said employment levels at the plant once production resumes "will be similar" to those prior to the shutdown.

The Bowling Green plant employs about 1,000 workers, including 118 workers in October. Employees work on one shift to manufacture the Corvette. There is also an engine-build facility. Work also continues on the construction of a new paint shop. Improvements to the local GM plant total about three-quarters of a billion dollars in recent years.

There was a one week shutdown in early January at the Bowling Green plant that had already been publicized. The Jan. 1 to Jan. 6 shutdown was for the holidays, for maintenance needs and also for construction done on the paint shop.

UAW workers were aware of the more major shutdown decision announced Monday by the company.

A spokesman for UAW Local 2164 did not immediately return a telephone message.

The UAW Region 8 office referred questions to the UAW main office in Detroit.

The union agreement with GM set in place in October 2015 covers four years.

In the agreement there are details that outline how workers are paid during an extended shutdown.

The company has and is pouring billions of dollars into its plants in North America, including for improvements at the Bowling Green plant.
    Busa Dave and elegant like this.
    Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    195 times
    Four years is too short for the C-7!
    2014 Base C-7
    Coupe 1LT
    Manual Trans.

Member #
    Liked
    403 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Curahee View Post
    Four years is too short for the C-7!
    Well there are large amounts of inventory out there right now that are not moving very well. Bring on the new machine! Does not matter what we think anyway the decisions have been made! I for one cannot wait to see the next generation. Good for GM. With the upgrades to the facility BG will be able to produce a world class vehicle that has paint to match!
    Last edited by Busa Dave; 01-30-2017 at 03:42 PM.
    Mobius and elegant like this.

Gold Supporting Member
    Gold Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3886 times
    The 7th Gen Corvette will not be a four year model run.
    U.S. Marine likes this.
    Hidden Content

Gold Supporting Member
    Gold Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3035 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Busa Dave View Post
    VERY VERY POSITIVE NEWS!!!!!! Time to move on bring out the latest technological improvements available. For me as well as a lot of others the old rear wheel, pushrod front engine "old school" mentality needs to be replaced with the next generation sports car ASAP! It seems that GM has through whatever means sensed this and is moving forward sooner than later with innovation that will keep the Corvette very relevant into the future!

If they want to continue to build the old fashioned C7's for a short while fine as long as it does not interfere with the deployment of the high performance version of the mid engine car. That is what I cannot wait to get my hands on. Will probably be a couple of years but am sure it will be worth the wait.
    I guess I'm stuck with my old fashioned, old school (two year old) Stingray ....the one that runs low 12's in the quarter mile, 0 to 60 in less than 4 seconds, pulls 1.0g on the skid pad, gets 25+ mpg and looks better than cars costing three times as much.
    banjo, Ateupjoe, RCjr and 3 others like this.
    Paul

2015 1LT, Blade Silver, A8, ZF1, Transparent Top, NPP exhaust, Red Calipers, Carbon Flash Mirrrors, Spoiler and Stinger Stripe.

MODs: Black Chrome Wheels, OEM Z06 Splitter, Z06 Grille with Blade Silver Ducts, Stage 2 Rocker Skirts. Z51 Sway Bars

NATIONAL CORVETTE MUSEUM MEMBER

Gold Supporting Member
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    4245 times
    Jeremy, great find it keeps us SRF members updated. The release date for the C8 masterpiece is like the T.V. show, "who shot JR on Dallas", everybody wanted to know the answer. I'm looking forward to comparing our C7 masterpiece to one that was painted in the Generals million + paint facility.

SF
    Rick
    2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Masterpiece, Torch Red, Jet Black Interior. Delivered to our home on 2 March 2014 from MacMulkin Chevrolet, Nashua, NH.
    Options: 2LT Package, 6-Speed Automatic Transmission, Chrome Wheels, Performance Exhaust, Navigation, Transparent Roof, Red Brake Calipers, Battery Protection.
    Mods: FormulaOne Performance Tint, CQuartz Sealant, XPEL Ultimate Protection Film (Hood, Front Fenders, Bumper, Mirrors, Headlights, Door Handle Cups, Door Seals), RPI Jack Pucks, WeatherTech Floor Liners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links