Stingray Corvette Forum banner

My Quest for a C3 Stingray

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Wolf's Stinger 
#1 ·
My quest for a C3 Stingray has lead me to a couple of conclusions: Truth in advertising is as rare as hens teeth, at least at my modest price point. Some folks believe that their garden variety rust bucket is worth a mint because it's a 70s era Vette, forget about the fact that the bird cage crumbles at the touch. My search lead me to something I would liken to a barn find. Mind you, before taking a not-so-short drive I spoke to the seller and he assured me that the car ran, has always been garaged kept (yeah, right) and only has 57K original miles (cough, cough). Upon arrival, I learned that it doesn't run (seller: It needs a shot of ether in the carb, and oh yeah, did you bring spare gas?). Really? The seller appears to play fast and loose with the truth, imagine that. It goes downhill from there. Without the benefit of having it up on a lift for closer inspection, it appears to accident free. Unfortunately, there are two many unknowns and I certainly don't trust anything the seller has to say. I'm guessing a "reasonable" offer on my part would be met with deaf ears. I'm still on the fence about an making an offer, leaning towards nah. I'm a sucker for a resto, so I have to remind myself that I no longer have a garage and the required tools. Sourcing this restoration will likely prove expensive.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Hood

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Engine

See less See more
#3 ·
Wolf, it's winking at you to be careful concerning this purchase. It may take some time but you will locate the C3 masterpiece that you want and hopefully it will be in awesome shape.

SF
Rick

Reactions: Wolf's Stinger
#8 ·
Hey Wolf, I'd rather look for a running car that you might find for a good price than to restore a barnyard found. You will easily spend 20k on that car if you're not a mechanic yourself. Engine rebuild, carburetor etc. brake lines, calipers , and general rust removal and replacement parts, repainting and maybe a new interior......

I've gone this way with my C3 and spent over 30K in parts and labor and not even have a new interior yet..but all the mechanical parts were rebuilt or replaced.

best wishes and luck

#11 ·
what is your purchase budget? If you don't mind me asking?

#13 ·
Congrats Wolf's Stinger on your Willy, but just between you and me, that doesn't look like an original C3 ;) ;)

Reactions: Wolf's Stinger
#16 ·
The longer I searched the more reality set in. All the C3s I saw needed something or other done to them. I no longer own a home with a garage or an assortment of tools to speak of. I missed my JKU, so i figured why not. It’s under warranty so no worries there. If something goes south I’ll just drop it off at the stealership and maybe pay a deductible for warranty service. Good to go.

#14 ·
I had the same thought Jeff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.