Like Tree7Likes

Thread: C8 Corvette What If

Mileage
    W&C I & II
    Member #
    Liked
    5632 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    A drop in the bucket for GM and, in all likelihood, a Tax Write Off, as Factory Demo's! I was actually referring to Advertising Dollar's Spent! Regarding those Demo/Pro-type we've seen, they may end up in a "crusher" or be gifted to GM Executives!!!!
    GM is not in the business of spending lots of money they don't need to. Car companies sweat the cost of things like switches to the penny. Spending hundreds of thousands of dollars, or more, building phoney cars to fool the public isn't in the cards. And testing cars with fake bodywork doesn't provide the information on the quality and reliability, fit and finish of the production parts that GM needs before starting production. And testing aero at the 'ring with cars that don't match reality is a waste of time, too.

Yes, there's some padding and fake styrofoam panels under that camo wrap, but the basic shape of the car is going to be what we've seen.
    Racer_X likes this.
    Hidden Content
    "SunKissed", my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible
    (One of about 40). >31,000+ miles. Purchased 5/2/2015

Member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out: Hidden Content

My Stingray photos: Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I think you gave Calloway a good template to start with.
    One of the nicest Working Mid Engine Designs, I've laid my eyes on, is a "One Off Mid Engine" created by GM's Cadillac Division know as the "Cien". Equipped with a 750HP Northstar V-12, that used Direct Injection, this 2002 Model Year Prototype also used "side venting" reminiscent of early "Chevy Cowl Induction" technology!

I think you will agree, GM Designers have been thinking "out of the box" for many moons! It would have been easy for GM to throw a Corvette Logo on this "Cadillac Masterpiece" and have a 2020 Winner!

I can best describe the "Cien" as "Sculptured Eye Candy"!

Enjoy the pics!

bob109

Name:  thehistory-2002-cien-626x332-1536772201.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:  corvette-60-years(14).jpg
Views: 42
Size:  80.6 KB
    Last edited by bob109; 07-16-2019 at 03:01 PM.
    jsvette, Mack and kgrant like this.

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    GM is not in the business of spending lots of money they don't need to. Car companies sweat the cost of things like switches to the penny. Spending hundreds of thousands of dollars, or more, building phoney cars to fool the public isn't in the cards. And testing cars with fake bodywork doesn't provide the information on the quality and reliability, fit and finish of the production parts that GM needs before starting production. And testing aero at the 'ring with cars that don't match reality is a waste of time, too.

Yes, there's some padding and fake styrofoam panels under that camo wrap, but the basic shape of the car is going to be what we've seen.
    If that's the case, why is my 2017 Base Stingray MT7, one of "four C7 variants available that year? Base Model, Fat Fender (bolt on) Grand Sport, Fat Fender (bolt on) Z06 (supercharged) and lastly the "beloved" ZR1 with its "refrigerator sized supercharger", and a Front Facia and Open Hood to die for!

There is, without question, significant differences in the suspension, cooling and body venting systems between the four variants, but they all share the same dash, buttons and other interior components! Bolt On and Snap-In manufacturing processes quicken the pace of production, repair and changes to fender and facia configurations thereby, quickly changing the appearance of the finished vehicle.

Regards and Drive Safe

bob109

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvettez51 View Post
    As an engineer, form follows function. YOu could have picked almost ANY mid rear engined car and they start to look the same. They have too.
    I'de like to remind you that GM, Chevrolet, has had no less than six "Mid Engine Designed Corvette Prototypes" over the years! Unfortunately none of them ever made it into production! Several were "Clay" with the remainder actually being "Full Fledge Drivers"! Taking a good close look, at that group of autos, you will immediately realize "none look alike"! It would appear and demonstrate those "Design Folks" were given "free reign" and allowed to use their creative and artistic talents to produce various, unique to their own, body styles! That appears to contradict your statement which infers that "Design Folks" are nothing more than "Bakers" with the same "Cookie Cutter". I'll finish my statement with this closing observation and comparison of Artists, some of whom "dabbled in "water colors" while others painted the ceilings of the " Sistine Chapel"......both Artists, but universes apart in their skills!

Safe Driving

bob109
    Last edited by bob109; 07-17-2019 at 02:37 AM.
    jsvette likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Up late last night and I'm a bit saddened on the C8 Reveal, after seeing the unwrapped body! Those Forum Members predicting "what you see in camouflage, is what you get on reveal, were right! Wraps off and there is no mistaking the body features are the same as the "demo versions"! What surprises me most is the disconnect between the front and rear of the car. It appears to me, there were two separate design teams which didn't communicate with each other! That's just my opinion which may change with time or after seeing a C8 in the flesh. The specs speak volumes for what GM achieved and especially at the announced price of the Base Model Ray. Under $60k for this type of performance is surly going to cause The Corvette Competitors ulcers and rightly so!

The attention to detail of the engine/trans with "longitudinal layout" will definitely make this car a true "corner carver" and worthy of the Corvette name. Can't wait to get a "close up peek" in the coming months!

Regards and Safe Driving

bob109

Member #
    Liked
    411 times
    I love it. Emailed Mike at Criswell to get on the wait list.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links