C8 close to selling out- false rumor.
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By meyerweb
  • 1 Post By Kevin
  • 1 Post By mjdart
  • 1 Post By rdslon01
  • 2 Post By mjdart

Thread: C8 close to selling out- false rumor.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times

C8 close to selling out- false rumor.

Just read that new orders for the C8 are near intended production numbers. Chevrolet did not say what the productions numbers for 2020 will be, but said that they are close to reaching them.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I believe it! I'm happy I got my spot for it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mileage
    On me or the car?
    Member #
    Liked
    837 times
    Can't say I'm surprised. There will be more in the years ahead. Looking forward to hearing all the real world driving and ownership issues ( good and bad) from all the first year buyers.
    Must be some sort of record to be sold out before the dealerships can even place their orders. Local large dealership in Los Angeles is quoting new owner deliveries after Jan 1 2020.
    2015 3LT/Z51 Convertible. Arctic White with Black Top, Black Leather and Sueade interior with white stitching and with Carbon Fiber Tonneau cover. Carbon Flash emblems and Competition Seats.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I was told my order won't arrive until 4/2020. (Smaller dealership in MD)

Mileage
    W&C I & II
    Member #
    Liked
    5642 times
    Both Kerbeck and Criswell have said the rumors of the C8 being almost sold out are "Fake News." They both say they have plenty of allocations left. GM says they don't even have a count of how many orders have been placed, or how many reservations have been placed with dealers.

And no dealership can tell you when your order will arrive. The don't know when their allocation will align with a consensus, they don't know what items might be on constraint, or multiple other factors.
    Hidden Content
    "SunKissed", my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible
    (One of about 40). >31,000+ miles. Purchased 5/2/2015

Member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out: Hidden Content

My Stingray photos: Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Michael Simcoe,*GM design chief is real jerk for starting the whole "sold out rumor"!

Mileage
    38500 +
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    "Almost sold out" is a marketing gimmick which creates more demand and allows the unscrupulous to sell cars at a premium. Like usual, the sales are peak for the first year and every year thereafter the numbers decline. No rush, wait about 18 months and they will be giving them away at 18% discounts.
    cb900f2 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    20k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10655 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePro4X View Post
    Michael Simcoe,*GM design chief is real jerk for starting the whole "sold out rumor"!

Near production numbers is not equivalent to saying sold out. New MY production runs are intentionally lower than once the initial batches have been through QC.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    When I read the article in Auto blog titled 2020 corvette c8 nearly sold out, I didn't realize M Simcoe direct quotes were false. Sorry guys.

Member #
    Liked
    240 times
    I could believe they might sell out if demand is high.

Figuring production lasts 10 months.

Average Corvette production is around 14 cars per hour, shift time 8 hours = 112 cars per shift times (2) shifts = 224 Corvettes per day times 5 days (M-F) = 1120 Corvettes per week.
    Lets say they work 3 Saturdays a month, running both shifts = 672 more Corvettes. That brings out monthly production to 1,800 Corvettes rounding up.
    Now lets take out 10 month production run and you come up with 18,000 Corvettes for 2020. That's not really that many cars as they manufactured 37,000 Corvettes in 2014 the first year of the C7.

They would need to double the hourly rate to match the 2014 production run which believe is possible since it's already been accomplished at Bowling Green. I don't know if the new C8 is easier to produce the the C7. They could also start production earlier, lets say October to pick up some production, it all depends on how real the demand is, should be fun to watch as it's good for Corvette and GM!

My average rate is only my estimation based on having spent several days in the factory when my Z06 was assembled.
    JoePro4X likes this.
    Current Corvettes
    2017 Z06 3LZ A-8 J57 Stage 3
    LT4 Built by me 4/25/17
    1967 Sting Ray Coupe
    Restomod LS376/525 hp
    1964 Sting Ray Coupe
    L76 365 hp C60 Factory AC
    Past Corvettes:
    1985 4+3 Two Tone Bronze
    1980 L-82 White / Red
    1979 L-82 Black / Red

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6108 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mjdart View Post
    I could believe they might sell out if demand is high.

Figuring production lasts 10 months.

Average Corvette production is around 14 cars per hour, shift time 8 hours = 112 cars per shift times (2) shifts = 224 Corvettes per day times 5 days (M-F) = 1120 Corvettes per week.
    Lets say they work 3 Saturdays a month, running both shifts = 672 more Corvettes. That brings out monthly production to 1,800 Corvettes rounding up.
    Now lets take out 10 month production run and you come up with 18,000 Corvettes for 2020. That's not really that many cars as they manufactured 37,000 Corvettes in 2014 the first year of the C7.

They would need to double the hourly rate to match the 2014 production run which believe is possible since it's already been accomplished at Bowling Green. I don't know if the new C8 is easier to produce the the C7. They could also start production earlier, lets say October to pick up some production, it all depends on how real the demand is, should be fun to watch as it's good for Corvette and GM!

My average rate is only my estimation based on having spent several days in the factory when my Z06 was assembled.
    Your math is flawed. You have to multiply by at least 4 to get from a weekly total to a monthly total. It is actually more than that.

With two shifts, they will easily go over 40,000 cars in a model year.
    mjdart likes this.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Too much math talk. What's everyone idea of the 3 best options that are "must haves" for the C8?

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rdslon01 View Post
    Your math is flawed. You have to multiply by at least 4 to get from a weekly total to a monthly total. It is actually more than that.

With two shifts, they will easily go over 40,000 cars in a model year.
    Don't forget to factor in those built for "EXPORT" and "RIGHT HAND DRIVE"! If some are built on the same "line" they would be in the overall "yearly production figure"!

Member #
    Liked
    240 times
    Good catch Rodney, that'll teach me to do math while thinking of Corvettes off the top of my head.....lol

OK 1120 per M-F time 4 equals 4480 plus 3 weekends 5,152 per month or 51,520 for a 10 month run! OK, not worried any more the Corvettes build record set in 1979 in St. Louis, I believe was 53,807. The Bowling Green Corvette record set in 1984, I believe is 51,547. The C8 Corvette could be the car to break that record!!!

Name:  79_Corvette_L-82.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  119.4 KBI had one of those '79 Corvettes, I bought new, it was black with red interior and had the L-82 engine. The only issue was the paint, some primer showed through. With today's state of the art paint facility that should not be an issue.
    Last edited by mjdart; 08-03-2019 at 08:25 AM.
    rdslon01 and Ateupjoe like this.
    Current Corvettes
    2017 Z06 3LZ A-8 J57 Stage 3
    LT4 Built by me 4/25/17
    1967 Sting Ray Coupe
    Restomod LS376/525 hp
    1964 Sting Ray Coupe
    L76 365 hp C60 Factory AC
    Past Corvettes:
    1985 4+3 Two Tone Bronze
    1980 L-82 White / Red
    1979 L-82 Black / Red