• 2 Post By Zymurgy
  • 2 Post By rdslon01
  • 1 Post By kgrant

Thread: Roof Question

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Roof Question

I didn't really understand about the roof.

Is there a removable roof and a non-removable roof (fixed)?

If there are two options.... In the event the cart rolls, is the structural integrity if the removable option such that it would not collapse into the drivers/passengers space?

I haven't seen one in person and can't tell about the construction anterior and posterior to the occupants area.

Thank you for your time and help.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    44 miles a day
    Member #
    Liked
    2945 times
    Welcome to Stingrayforums TxDoc!

All C7 and C8 Corvettes are "convertibles" in the sense that none have a hard fixed top. Beginning with the design of the C7, the A pillars and the halo provide all the structural integrity needed for the safety of the occupants.
    jsvette and TxDoc like this.
    NCM Lifetime MemberXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXHaving trouble searching the forum? Try a Google search "[keyword] site:Hidden Content Vettenessa: 2015 Arctic White/Adrenaline Red 3LT Z51 M7 Coupe, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, GT seats, Performance data recorder, Carbon fiber instrument panel, Carbon flash badge package, Carbon flash spoiler and mirrors, Magnetic selective ride control, Performance exhaust, Electronic limited slip rear differential, Red painted brake calibers, Black machined aluminum wheels. Ordered on 10/23/2014. Status code 3000 on 12/18/2014. Status code 3300 on 01/15/15. TPW 01/26/15. Produced 01/15. Arrived 02/12/15.
    Hidden Content Valentine's Day
    2016 BASH
    Forum Rules
    Vendor Rules
    For-Sale Rules
    Business Rules
    Introductions
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    44 miles a day
    Member #
    Liked
    2945 times
    https://www.corvette-mag.com/issues/...les/sweet-spot

Speaking of roll bars: The engineers considered fitting pop-up roll bars, like those used on the current Porsche 911 Cabriolet, but decided against it, for two reasons. “First of all, they’d increase mass,” says Juechter, who notes that the C7’s A-pillars have been beefed up to provide significantly more roll-over protection than Federal law requires. “Second of all, when we analyzed all the roll-over accidents of the C6, we realized they wouldn’t work. If you manage to roll a car like this, it’s going to be a high-speed, high-energy event, and you’re not going to roll over once; you’re going to flip up in the air and come down like an airplane crash.”
    jsvette, TxDoc and German like this.
    NCM Lifetime MemberXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXHaving trouble searching the forum? Try a Google search "[keyword] site:Hidden Content Vettenessa: 2015 Arctic White/Adrenaline Red 3LT Z51 M7 Coupe, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, GT seats, Performance data recorder, Carbon fiber instrument panel, Carbon flash badge package, Carbon flash spoiler and mirrors, Magnetic selective ride control, Performance exhaust, Electronic limited slip rear differential, Red painted brake calibers, Black machined aluminum wheels. Ordered on 10/23/2014. Status code 3000 on 12/18/2014. Status code 3300 on 01/15/15. TPW 01/26/15. Produced 01/15. Arrived 02/12/15.
    Hidden Content Valentine's Day
    2016 BASH
    Forum Rules
    Vendor Rules
    For-Sale Rules
    Business Rules
    Introductions
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    20k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10649 times
    Welcome to our forum TxDoc! As Vigilance247 noted, the C7 and presumably the C8 is roll over safe. There are currently two versions of the C7: a convertible (classic folding Vert roof) and a coupe with a removable single piece roof panel that stores securely in the back of the trunk (and still allows for ample storage of luggage or golf clubs under it). The removable panel on the C7 comes in three versions: solid carbon fiber painted the color of the body, exposed carbon fiber, and transparent 'plastic' panel. The only panel you can see through when it is on, is the transparent panel, however, it looks from a few feet away to be very similar to the exposed carbon fiber- that is black in color. Up close, the transparent has a blueish tint.
    Vigilance247 and TxDoc like this.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thank you Vigilance247, and jsvette. Sorry for the slow reply.

Thank you for the video and explanations. Very helpful and appreciated.
    jsvette and Vigilance247 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1248 times
    Welcome to the forum TxDoc.

From all of the vehicle rescues I've done and accidents I have responded to, I believe the structural integrity of the roof panel makes it as safe as any fixed roof as long as it is properly secured. Carbon fiber is a very strong material and should provide ample protection.

The strength of the A and B pillars is actually more important should the car ever be in the unfortunate situation of a roll over. You should feel as safe with the roof on or off as any other vehicle being properly belted in.
    Vigilance247 likes this.
    2015 blade silver Z51 3LT A8 Stingray, jet black interior, competition seats, Z51 style chrome rims. Suntek clear bra, carbon flash metallic custom stinger stripe, side mirrors and rear spoiler.
    1986 two-tone silver over grey C4 survivor coupe with slate blue interior and only 47k miles.

Member #
    Liked
    1158 times
    Great video - there's always something to learn! Thank you for posting it.
    Current: 2019 Z06 Coupe, 3LZ, Elkhart Lake Blue, Jet Black.
    Former: 2015 Stingray Coupe, 3LT, LT1, Z51, Laguna Blue, Jet Black.

Member #
    Liked
    1248 times
    Another roof question sticking with the thread: Anyone seeing the price come down on the transparent roof for the C7 now that the C8 is a reality? I still can't understand why it is a $999 option when bought from the factory, but the aftermarket sellers I've seen all have prices way over this. With the way they are getting stolen, especially in the South, I am not confident in going to ebay to get one. Anyone have any ideas of getting one in the $500 range? I'd like to have it as an option when I don't want to have my color matched roof on, but just don't think they are worth $1,000 and up.
    2015 blade silver Z51 3LT A8 Stingray, jet black interior, competition seats, Z51 style chrome rims. Suntek clear bra, carbon flash metallic custom stinger stripe, side mirrors and rear spoiler.
    1986 two-tone silver over grey C4 survivor coupe with slate blue interior and only 47k miles.

Member #
    Liked
    1142 times
    The $995 Transparent Roof option is the cost of the transparent roof above the cost of the standard roof (you're getting credit for the standard roof). If you order it aftermarket, there is no credit for your standard roof - you still have it.
    jsvette and Fireeagle like this.
    2014 Z51, MN7, Laguna Blue, 3LT Brownstone, MSRC, NPP, Yellow Calipers, Visible Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Carbon Flash Mirrors and Spoiler, Black Wheels, NCM Delivery on 2/13 - day after sinkhole.

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6108 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireeagle View Post
    Another roof question sticking with the thread: Anyone seeing the price come down on the transparent roof for the C7 now that the C8 is a reality? I still can't understand why it is a $999 option when bought from the factory, but the aftermarket sellers I've seen all have prices way over this. With the way they are getting stolen, especially in the South, I am not confident in going to ebay to get one. Anyone have any ideas of getting one in the $500 range? I'd like to have it as an option when I don't want to have my color matched roof on, but just don't think they are worth $1,000 and up.
    The actual retail price is $1999. However, you can find it for less than that.

The $999 price is the $1999 price minus not getting your standard body-colored roof (which results in a $1000) discount.
    jsvette and Fireeagle like this.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Member #
    Liked
    313 times
    There is a demand for the transparent roof! I had the transparent top and loved it because looking up at the sky while driving is very nice and serene. However, I switched most of the Carbon Flash on my car to Carbon Fiber and wanted a Carbon Fiber Top with the painted sides to complete my Carbon Fiber Edition C7. As a result, I sold my transparent top with storage bag for $1350 and bought Carbon Fiber top for $1200 so after $100 shipping I made $50.

To answer your question, a transparent top for $500 will never happen unless it is damaged or missing hardware because they are unique and in demand more so than the other tops but I have seen a few here and there for local pick up only for $800-$900. To ship a top is $150+ on average, I used a friend's shipping discount and shipped for $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireeagle View Post
    Fireeagle likes this.

Sponsored Links