Stingray Corvette Forum banner

"WRP SPD" Takes Off!

123K views 388 replies 67 participants last post by  elegant 
#1 · (Edited)
I was asked to write this atypical build thread, to specifically also include the 2015 Z06's "journey," i.e., the history, decisions and, hopefully, its' soon-manufacture! After its "history," this will become a traditional build thread. This thread will be very different than most build threads, for it includes the pre-manufacturing components/thoughts/plans. Of course, there would be no such thread without the phenomenal skill, engineering and incomparable commitment by the entire Corvette team, led by Executive Chief Engineer, Tadge Juechter. And, another "shout out" to the LT4 powertrain team, led by Jordan Lee.

Skip to Chapters 4 & 5 if you just want to see a typical built thread, e.g. mod specifcs.

Chapter 1: "A Touch Of History, or, 'how we got to today'..."

Loved our C6 Z06 since the day we picked it up, NCM's # 1 C6 Z06 Museum Delivery, on September 28, 2005. Even though it was # 55 on just one dealer's internal Z06 priority list, it moved ahead of tens of other Z06's at that dealership, hundreds of others nationally, due to a single option constraint on most other Z06's. (Lesson learned: Allocation, allocation, allocation; especially when there are partial constraints.) With its "modest" 505 HP, it was named "WRP SPD," (the maximum letters/numbers allowed in Oregon). The car was phenomenal throughout its entire nine years of ownership, making four cross-country trips, and always powering through curvy, country corners.

Starting four years ago, I started calling the Corvette leader of a very, very large Corvette dealer, and did so every six months, repeatedly asking him what was known about a C7 Z06. Each time I got the same response. "Sorry, I know nothing; don't even know if there will be a C7 Z06." The dealer was being truthful, and so I decided to go to "Plan B." Plan B was to reach out among my Corvette friends and GM staff throughout the country, and periodically asked them that same question. And, while worded differently, got essentially the same answer, "Believe, but do not definitely know it is coming, and if it does, not until the third year of the C7 generation." And, of course, got the usual, often-repeated predictions, e.g. naturally aspirated, probably 550 HP, etc.

Then, early last spring, got "the call" from a unnamed person, with "the confidential news", i.e., There will be a Z06 and its top will be removable, though it will probably not appear until at least halfway though the 2015 model year, with a good possibility of not appearing until 2016 model year." It was excruciating keeping this secret. In fact it was a relief, when, last fall, so many media and forum posts openly talked about the upcoming Z06, and when we saw "large tired, wide-bodied mule" pictures, but especially on December 6th when GM made the 2015 Z06 public.

Skipped one huge piece of WRP SPD's history." On June 1st, 2013, called MacMulkin Chevrolet (second largest Corvette dealer), and asked, "Tommy, will you take a deposit on a C7 Z06," and he said, "along as you understand that we have no definitive knowledge, nor commitment that GM is going to make one, but if you want, send me a refundable check and you will be #2 on my prioritized Z06 list." To honor earlier confidentiality, did not even tell Tommy that I knew for sure a 2015 Z06 was coming.

During the last three years, ever since the famous, November 14, 2011 Jalopnik leaked, very-accurate pictures of the C7 Z06, like many, have been waiting, learning and reading everything I could about the StingRay and the C7 Z06, including going to the 1.13.13 NAIAS StingRay Reveal, the 1.13.14 Z06 Reveal, both years' NCM April Bash, and most recently, the NCM "20th Anniversary Celebration." Finally, we all recently learned the next pieces/dates for the C7 Z06's "striptease" process:

Base Price: August 28th (during NCM "20th Anniversary Celebration")
Allocation Given to Dealers: September 2nd
1st Order Consensus: September 18th.

Chapter 2: "Choosing Color & Options"

Like many who order their unique Corvette, with tailored options and specifications, we started early. Loving all color StingRays (the C7 looks GREAT no matter how it is dressed), and we finally narrowed it down to "bright sunglass yellow." In fact, one of the primary reasons why we went to the NCM "Bash" earlier this year, was to see the Spectra Gray wheels with their machined groove, specifically to determine if VY and Spectra Gray wheels would work together. Very disappointed no Spectra Gray wheels were there, nor were new Corvettes in either of the 2015 new colors, Shark Gray nor Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic. (GM, you disappointed many who went to the Bash looking for these and other new options; this is one area you need to improve on!) However, the old expression, "where there is a will, they is a way," and before the Bash, had e mailed two key Corvette team members, asking them to bring to the Bash as many samples and and pictures and info as they could, so all who attended the Bash would, at least, see the new Z06 "Dark Gray" and Twilight Blue unique-to-the-Z06 interior colors. And, of course, we were all able to learn a lot more about the Z06 there.

There, Annie and I sought out the two Corvette staff whom we knew would be able to answer our key, "going to Bash" question, i.e., how would the Spectra Gray wheels go with Velocity Yellow. Both Harlan Charles, Product Manager, and Ryan Vaughan, Chief Interior Designer, independently said, "excellently!" Thank you Harlan and Ryan!

Also fortunate to learn the answer to our second question, "Z07 or not?" For us, we learned "not." Thank you Tadge, Kirk Bennion, Phil Minch and Michael Bailey for being so accessible, and so helpful in our making that last key decision.

We put together our "last draft spec/colors list" from all we collectively had learned over the past many months, and waited. And waited, and waited, for the Order Guide. Then it arrived, on August 16th, and with just a little fine tuning and discussions over the next couple of days, we knew exactly what we were going to order.

A manual transmission, coupe, VY, 3LZ in Dark Gray, FAY, Spectra Gray wheels, yellow calipers, and the stage 2 CFZ carbon fiber aero package.

Chapter 3: "We Made It: Accepted During 1st/September 18th Consensus"

When a vehicle has greater demand than supply, the key determinant, as we all know, is allocation. Hence why, remembering the "customer crush" for the C6 Z06 when it first came out, we choose a super-allocated dealership for our Z06 order, e.g. MacMulkin. But would we make the first or second consensus, or perhaps a later consensus, i.e., would MacMulkin's first consensus Z06 allocation include 1, 2 or even more Z06's? Turns out, we learned on September 2nd that MacMulkin got many, many, many Z06 coupes for the very first consensus, and we hoped that our order would consequently quickly move forward toward status 2000.

And even though we did move forward, as you know, our next issue was the dreaded "C" word, constraints! Remember Harlan saying as far back as January at Daytona, that there would be some Z06 constraints, both for carbon-ceramic brakes and the carbon fiber aero options. In the days before September 18th (when the Z06 constraints were first announced) we discussed over and over again, what options we would compromise on to get our order accepted during that initial consensus. As Thursday, the 18th grew closer and closer, our "would compromise option list "grew larger and larger. But, we got through, another advantage of good luck and our buying from a top allocation dealer, for even though CFZ and two others options we wanted were partially constrained, we got exactly what we wanted.

And then another positive shock, our Z06 quickly became "Order Selected and Scheduled for Production by Assembly Plant," reaching status 3000 on September 23rd -- just five days from the first day of the first Z06 consensus,  !!!

October 1st: Purchased NCM Buyer Tour & Photo Album

Chapter 4: "Working On WRP SPD's Upcoming Mods"

"To each, their own" is a phrase you have seen me post several times. We have chosen not to do a single mod that will affect the powertrain, the electronics, etc. Nothing we will do jeopardize our warranty, for, as one example, installing a new LT4 off-warranty would be a $25,000 consequence, or, a new transmission about $8,000 hit.

In fact our mod list my be downright boring for many. Here it is, in today's form.

1). Diffuser: "WeaponX"; Composite, to be painted carbon flash metallic (ORDERED);
2). Steering wheel and horn pad: Caravaggio "D" shaped Z06 version, with matching "factory Dark Gray" sides; black top and bottom, and factory white stitching; horn pad in Dark Gray, also with white stitching; assembled with gloss black, then cleared painted horn pad trim ring (as per below);
3). Jacking Pucks: lock in place (4) (RECEIVED)
4). AmericanHydroCarbon: VY windshield cowl;
5). Hood Stinger Stripe: Painted carbon flash metallic/cleared;
6). "CORVETTE" letters removed from rear fascia;
7). Hood liner (custom);
8). Paint Correction as needed; then XPel Ultimate (extensive coverage) ;
9). CQ Finest (X2) entire exterior;
10). Window film per state law;
11). Lloyd's Z06 Carpet/Cargo Mats: Dark Gray if available; if not, black;
12). Gorilla (20 pc.) locking lug nuts (RECEIVED);
13). Spats: Sanded smooth; painted carbon flash metallic/cleared/XPel'd.
14). Sound Deadening: TKO Performance: "BlockIt" ("maybe");
15). Black chrome valve stem caps: AutoDynasty (RECEIVED);
16). Visible carbon fiber center console: APSIS, "reverse weave", matte finish to identically match FAY;
18). Aftermarket exhaust system (not for power, but louder if "needed");
19). Wheel valve stem threads and "base nut" painted Spectra Gray or black;
20). "Magical Mystery Mod": Will be revealed later.

Chapter 5: "Completed Mods"

1) Horn Trim Ring: Painted gloss black/cleared. See "glen e"'s built thread for how he pioneered this mod. Glen volunteered/did the actual painting (we provided the part/supplies), transforming the brushed aluminum look to this. Thank you Glen!

That is it for now, but with time to kill until I head to BGAP for my Buyers Tour, then more waiting until "WRP SPD" arrives on the West Coast, who knows what additional mods will be added, for over the last year, have developed an expensive hobby, i.e., enjoying reading others' "build threads" and seeing their pictures.

See less See more
#2 ·
What a long journey. One of dreaming, hoping, extensive planning and research. John, you have brought many of us along with you on this incredible journey while reaching out to experts in the know and others in the industry. It is evident you have put in an enormous amount of time and energy in pursuing your Z06 treasure. Your unselfish SHARING with others has benefitted many who have the same dream. There are some, who would have kept to themselves and pleasured at knowing they had knowledge others didn't. This journey might have been unattainable for me, for one, had I not discovered this forum, and the advice of you and others.
My story could have been a lot different than it turned out. It could have easily read this way: Wow, I really like that new Z06. Wonder when the dealer will get them. Think I'll call and ask. What? You're sold out and not one has been built yet!! There's a waiting line for 2016??!! You've got to be kidding.
Thanks to the many who SHARE their dreams, for it makes it more attainable to others. And THANK YOU John and Annie for making my dream possible. As always I look forward to any new info on this magnificent Z06. Next up... Production!

#3 ·
Thanks for the great detailed 'back story' John on WRP SPD! A super journey that will undoubtedly only get better :cool:

#5 ·
Excellent dissertation on the purchase and build process, and I am anxiously awaiting the reveal of the "Mystery Mod"!!! Nice job John!

#7 ·
Congratulations, John!

The mystery mod has many of us guessing and inquiring minds want to know. :)

#8 · (Edited)
Yes, waiting is expensive, and buying more mods for my Z already.

Bought APSIS matte finish, opposite weave center console (with two "pocket doors"). Need to specify both "opposite weave" and "matte finish" if you are exactly matching the factory FAY appearance. Thank you forum member "Steven Bell" for pioneering this mod. PM me if you want more info and a lead on special current pricing. (Of course, no referral fee nor anything like that for me, as always.)

Separately, I purchased "hatch seals" to keep dust and water out of cargo tray.

#9 · (Edited)
Does "opposite weave" mean the carbon fiber lines go from top left to bottom right, or bottom left to top right?

The picture above looks good because the weave lines on the APSIS part matches the GM dash. However, I have seen cases where the APSIS weave was diagonally opposite the weave in the dash, and I didn't think that one matched very well.

Which is which?

Your post seems to indicate "opposite weave" matches, but "opposite" to me sounds the other way (not matching).

I'm just wanting to double confirm.

Thank you!

#10 · (Edited)
The factory FAY and the APSIS center console parts have the same slanting down to the right, as they are both opposite weave. My guess is that GM choose, for visually aesthetic reasons, to have the diagonal "slant down to the lower right" as in that picture. May be, but do not know this for a fact, that there is a custom in the "carbon fiber visual weave" industry, that regular weave is the opposite (goes diagonal down to the left).

You are correct that you have previously seen an opposite weave pattern for the center console, i.e., in Steve Bell's build, he has the regular weave pattern for his center console.

#12 ·
8). Paint Correction as needed; then XPel Ultimate (extensive coverage) ;
9). CQ Finest (X2) entire exterior;
Love this post John!

So the XPel first and then then on top of the XPel the CQ Finest? I was thinking the opposite.

I'm really torn on the XPel. My gut tells me 'no' but everyone seems to believe it's the way to go.

Best,
/Don

#14 ·
Glen E is correct. No surprise there. However, for you who want further confirmation, on a related matter was communicating with "Corey@CarPro-US," and he and I wandered into this specific issue. Absolutely XPel first, CQ Finest afterwards -- what I will be doing (or substitute other similar products if you choose), but always the clear urethane paint protection first, treatments second. In other words, "as Glen said."

#15 · (Edited)
Ordered "BlockIt" Sound Deadener (TKO,Perfromance). On sale now. Annie and I do a large amount of long distance driving (four cross-country trips in our C6 Z06 and many other long trips), and tire whine was one of the few negative things about that car. The main cause of tire whine and related unpleasant sounds was its huge rear tires right behind the seats. The C7 Z's tires are even wider, and it's construction is the same as the C6's, i.e., essentially an aluminum "drum" behind the seats. Below is a review of that product by someone who installed it in his 2014 StingRay. Thank you "Rad22."

Rad22 said:
Today, I finally got around to installing these sound deadening pads the way I wanted them. The lay-in mat for the cargo area has been in the car for sometime, underneath my aftermarket “Stingray” mat from GM. It helped some, but not a lot.

I initially placed the pads for the rear bulkhead behind the seats when I first received them, on top of the carpet. Unfortunately, when they were in place, they activated the seat motion contact sensors and limited my seat motion enough that legroom was inadequate. I removed them and put them away to wait until I had time to deal with the issue.

Today, I ran both seats forward, pulled up the carpet behind the seats and disconnected the contact sensors. I then slipped the sound deadening pads underneath the carpet that covers the rear bulkheads so they are in direct contact with the metal and ran both of my seats back as far as they would go without burning out the motors or bending the seat frames. I had plenty of legroom (perhaps even more than before) and went on a drive.

Without sounding overly gushy, the results are nothing short of amazing in my judgment. The car is so much quieter and more enjoyable in every way from that perspective. The mechanical noises from shift linkage and the transmission/clutch, the noises from expansion joints/potholes/pavement patches, etc as well as the constant drumming/roar of the tires on concrete pavement surfaces has markedly improved. Exhaust note is still very pleasing and overall, a 100% improvement.

My theory for why these have worked so well in this situation is that these pads are now in direct contact with the metal bulkhead behind the seat, absorbing any vibrations from that surface, as opposed to lying on top of the carpet and possibly allowing the metal bulkhead to continue to vibrate somewhat with resultant noise production. Being held in place by the seats in contact with the carpet probably also reduces vibration and noise transmission through this metal bulkhead.

For those who may not be aware, the only thing between you and the metal bulkhead behind your seats is a very thin layer of rigid carpet and some flimsy strips of foam adhering to the back of the carpet. Behind the bulkhead, there is nothing but the undersurface of the car. There is essentially no sound insulation there whatsoever from the factory.

For my purposes, a super buy…solving, however, something that should've been provided from the factory in my opinion.

#17 · (Edited)
Sale price now = $215.99. Nothing wears me down more on a ten hour drive than incessant tire whine.

EDITED/ADDED NOTE! At this time, one can not just get the pieces that go behind the seats, nor just the one for the cargo area. The $215.99 price is for the three-piece set.

#19 ·
Have "Block it" sound deadener on my maybe list. Thanks for the great information. Now it's going on my definite "To Do" list. Didn't realize there were three pieces because all I could see was the larger mat for the cargo area. Started wondering if Dynamat, which is held in place with an adhesive might work behind the seats as well. Has anyone considered that? And if not why?

#20 · (Edited)
John- i have a 1200 mile run in a week and can't get the TKO in time, will try this off amazon for behind the seats..$60, My back deck on a long trip is loaded with suitcases and hanging bags so i think im ok there....i think RAD is on to something with applying to rear back seat bulkhead, that's where the wheels are....

"Fat mat" - 25 sq ft x 80 mil - good reviews

#21 ·
"Fat mat" - 25 sq ft x 80 mil - good reviews
Glen I've used the "Fat Mat- Rattle Trap" (the heavier version) product. I bought a 100 sq ft. roll on Ebay and used it in that VW Beetle I resto-moded. Used it on the floor pans, roof, doors, engine bay, everywhere. I love it, great product. About half the cost of Dyna-mat and in my opinion a better product. Just make sure you have it where you want it when you start pulling the paper off, because it does stick pretty much instantly.

#25 ·
Hi Glen,

I am not trying to scare anyone. Even though I did the entire interior of the classic car, the smell did go away. Maybe just stay away from the off brands...

Dave

#27 · (Edited)
WRP SPD built! Can't start doing any mods until the car is built, so here are some pictures of a happy, happy beginning. Came off the line at 10:08 today. Ecstatic John!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Supercar

Vehicle Motor vehicle Yellow Car Automotive design

Vehicle Car Auto part Measuring instrument Tachometer

With Jagamajajaran, and my special shirt I made for BGAP employees.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Yellow Sports car

#28 ·
Congratulations!

Reactions: elegant and CHeckk6
#29 ·
Words cannot convey how happy I am for you John. I too have a twin lurking about at the plant, all thanks to you. My sincerest CONGRATULATIONS. The moment has finally arrived. But more to come.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.