• 1 Post By ram_g
  • 1 Post By texhawk

Thread: Battery voltage fluctuates between 14.2V and 12.8V while driving

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times

Battery voltage fluctuates between 14.2V and 12.8V while driving

This past weekend the wife and I did a 600 mile road trip through Southern California and for a change I put the info system on Perf.

And the voltage indicator drew my attention almost immediately because it would be all over the place, the highest I saw it was 14.2V which AFAIK is too high, but then I also saw it read 12.8V which is too low for charging.

The car has no problems starting not even this morning after a night outside in 25F degrees.

I am going to guess that itís just a cheap/bad voltmeter on the car and no really worth the hassle of having the dealer look into it.

PS. At home the car is always plugged into a battery tender.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2016 C7 2LT

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    972 times
    My 2014 fluctuates between 12.8 and 15. Has always done that.

frankieb likes this.

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6073 times
    You said you have a tender. Disconnect your plug from the tender and connect it to a voltmeter instead. That way you can see what your hand-held voltmeter says that the car is doing. That will tell you if your car's internal gauge is reporting accurately or not.

By the way, 14.2 V is not too high when charging. That is normal.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times

Battery voltage fluctuates between 14.2V and 12.8V while driving

Quote Originally Posted by rdslon01 View Post
    You said you have a tender. Disconnect your plug from the tender and connect it to a voltmeter instead. That way you can see what your hand-held voltmeter says that the car is doing. That will tell you if your car's internal gauge is reporting accurately or not.

By the way, 14.2 V is not too high when charging. That is normal.
    Isnít 13.8V the Ďnormalí charging voltage for a 12V battery?

Iíll get my Fluke hooked up next time if I remember... although I am already thinking of what the wife is going to ask me.. when she see my multi-meter hooked to the car while drive...

Last edited by Sauraus; 02-20-2018 at 11:14 PM.
    2016 C7 2LT

Member #
    Liked
    520 times
    Iíve seen mine in the 15ís.
    2017 Corvette Racing Yellow Grand Sport Convertible

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6073 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauraus View Post
    Isnít 13.8V the Ďnormalí charging voltage for a 12V battery?

Iíll get my Fluke hooked up next time if I remember... although I am already thinking of what the wife is going to ask me.. when she see my multi-meter hooked to the car while drive...

Well, "normal" depends on various factors. For example, the CTEK MUS 4.3 charges at 14.4 V normally. However, if the "cold weather" charging mode is chosen, then it increases the charging voltage to 14.7 V. Furthermore, if you choose the "recondition" option for a battery that is in bad shape, it charges at 15.8 V.

The CTEK MUS 4.3 "Test and Charge" tender reports a battery is okay if the voltage is at least 12.6 V; it reports that the alternator is okay if it outputs at least 14.0 V.

Oh, I don't know about the other part... Maybe your wife will think you are the cool beans if you drive around with a multi-meter plugged into your car.
    Sauraus likes this.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Mileage
    W&C I & II
    Member #
    Liked
    5615 times
    This is completely normal with modern charging systems from GM and other manufacturers. Output voltage is computer controlled to provide only what is necessary at the time, lowering parasitic drag from the alternator and (marginally) improving fuel economy. But add in enough marginal improvements, and it starts to make a difference. So after a cold start, voltage will be higher for a while to recharge the battery. When you're running lots of accessories that draw power, at low rpm, voltage will go up. But cruising on the highway, with lights and A/C and heated seats, etc. off, voltage will drop.
    Hidden Content
    "SunKissed", my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible
    (One of about 40). >31,000+ miles. Purchased 5/2/2015

Member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out: Hidden Content

My Stingray photos: Hidden Content

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    When you're running lots of accessories that draw power, at low rpm, voltage will go up. But cruising on the highway, with lights and A/C and heated seats, etc. off, voltage will drop.
    Thatís what I suspected as well but after starting the car in 35F weather and heading out on to a highway and cruising at 55mph, I saw 12.8V with seat heating on and switching off the heated seats did not change that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 C7 2LT

Mileage
    W&C I & II
    Member #
    Liked
    5615 times
    As long as the computer says the battery is adequately charged, it'll keep the voltage as low as possible. It might crank up voltage after a while if you leave the heaters on. But the heaters probably don't really draw much power compared to things like the headlights.

Mine varies from a low of 12.8 to a high of 15.1 (but that high is rare).
    Hidden Content
    "SunKissed", my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible
    (One of about 40). >31,000+ miles. Purchased 5/2/2015

Member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out: Hidden Content

My Stingray photos: Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Completely agree that this is perfectly normal behavior. The indicated voltage is a function of the battery's state of charge and loading at the time, and what the car's electronics are doing to charge the battery. As others have posted, it can go up to 15V or even a bit more. In fact I would worry if the reading did NOT fluctuate over this sort of range!
    elegant likes this.

Mileage
    C7 31,000 miles
    Member #
    Liked
    2859 times
    Modern charge systems display voltages that alarm we old timers. And they jump around a lot. Start worrying when it displays 11.9 or less.
    Order placed Sept 16 2014, Roadster, 2LT, Z51 mag ride, 8AT, PDR/NAV. Night Race Blue, Jet Black interior, Red Calipers, Carbon Flash Badges.
    wrapped in Xpel Ultimate, came home Oct 31. Using Range AFM Suppression
    "The Beast"

Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    I think the voltage varies not just with electrical load, but also just to vary the charging rate on the battery to keep it from building up internal deposits.
    I have had mine be charging at normal rates driving on the highway, and then drop to 12.8 volts with no apparent change in the electrical loads.
    Vigilance247 likes this.

Mileage
    C7 31,000 miles
    Member #
    Liked
    2859 times
    Modern charging systems will also respond to ambient temperatures, and will cut back the voltage as ambient temperatures rise into what is considered "hot" weather.
    Order placed Sept 16 2014, Roadster, 2LT, Z51 mag ride, 8AT, PDR/NAV. Night Race Blue, Jet Black interior, Red Calipers, Carbon Flash Badges.
    wrapped in Xpel Ultimate, came home Oct 31. Using Range AFM Suppression
    "The Beast"

Mileage
    On me or the car?
    Member #
    Liked
    810 times
    Normal in my experience with several of my vehicles. Lots of variables at play but that range is perfectly normal in my experience..
    2015 3LT/Z51 Convertible. Arctic White with Black Top, Black Leather and Sueade interior with white stitching and with Carbon Fiber Tonneau cover. Carbon Flash emblems and Competition Seats.

Member #
    Liked
    403 times
    Man you people freak out over battery voltage, what do you do when you look at oil pressure after start up? lol

Sponsored Links