• 5 Post By Mobius
  • 4 Post By Milliwatt Rob
  • 1 Post By JohnUSA

Thread: Battery tender

Member #
    Liked
    43 times

Battery tender

After 30 days my battery went dead on my c7 Z06. I had the check battery tender connected, lights on it as they should. I used my regular battery charger to start the car and took it to the Chevrolet dealership. I called today to check on it and their mechanic told me it was not made to sit for 30 days even with the battery tender connected. I had to bite my tongue to keep from going off the deep end. Am I mistaken or is this not what the tender was designed for? Also is there any chevrolet documentation that states this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    429 times
    Where in the Corvette did you have it plugged into? Only the outlet in the trunk or right rear of the hatch stays hoy. John
    Mack likes this.
    2015 sharkgray 3lt z51 8 speed auto convertable with gray top sharkgray vents Crome wheels carbon fiber interior blade silver full length duel racing stripe red calipers magnetic ride

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10507 times
    You were given incorrect information. With the CTEK connected to the rear accessory outlet (the only one in our C7s that remains live after the car is turned off), you can safely leave you car for extended (read that as months) periods of time. The battery will be kept in excellent shape.
    Milliwatt Rob likes this.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    It is definitely connected in the correct port. This is my third C7. I’m just looking for some support docs from Chevrolet so I can show their mechanic he is mistaken and go about resolving this issue.

Mileage
    On me or the car?
    Member #
    Liked
    805 times
    So frustrating when any dealership uses such ridiculous claims such as the car is not meant to sit for 30 days even on a battery tender. All in the attempt to make you go away. When in fact it will normally do just the opposite. Making you more determined to be treated fairly.
    I once had a manufacture customer service rep on a completely different vehicle tell me that water in the oil may have been caused by washing the vehicle to much or driving in the rain....Of course i asked where it said the vehicle was not supposed to be used in the rain or "washed" with no response. I think they must have a goal of training these folks to just try and make customers go away by any means possible.
    I have had many vehicles over my lifetime including my C7 sit for many months on a correctly installed battery tender with no issue. In addition have gotten many years beyond the usual accepted time period to change batteries. As a matter of fact usually i replace batteries out of an abundance of caution due to age rather than starting issues..
    Hope you get it resolved.
    Mobius and Henry427 like this.
    2015 3LT/Z51 Convertible. Arctic White with Black Top, Black Leather and Sueade interior with white stitching and with Carbon Fiber Tonneau cover. Carbon Flash emblems and Competition Seats.

Mileage
    107,000 (s)miles in Vettes
    Member #
    Liked
    4871 times
    Just another case of a mechanic not knowing the facts.

Like many here, I use the GM "Battery Protection Package" option (which is the Corvette logo'd CTEK charger) from mid-November to late March, and have done so since 2014. I never start the car during these months.

The C7 fires-up with a willing roar every Spring, thanks to the CTEK.

Now, it is interesting that you had two green lights on the CTEK and the battery was low or discharged - that's odd, and it makes me wonder if the CTEK may be faulty.
    Racer_X, Ateupjoe, jsvette and 2 others like this.
    Current Vettes:
    '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
    '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
    '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust - Ordered on 4-1-2014, 2000 Status on 4-10-2014, TPW 5-12-2014, Built on 5-16-2014, Picked-up at dealership on 5-30-2014
    "Delta t = 23"

Mileage
    On me or the car?
    Member #
    Liked
    805 times
    I might add . You didn't mention how old the battery was so perhaps the battery is just to old or has been run down to a point that it can not be brought back. The absurdity of the mechanic's statement lends me to believe that his comment was an opinion regarding how you use your automobile rather than a statement of fact and the battery should be tested or replaced along with a check of the charging system of your vehicle just to confirm no unusual draw of power.
    2015 3LT/Z51 Convertible. Arctic White with Black Top, Black Leather and Sueade interior with white stitching and with Carbon Fiber Tonneau cover. Carbon Flash emblems and Competition Seats.

Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    This battery came with the car, almost 2 years old, car has only 10,000 miles. Battery was checked, rated 565 cca , measured 743 cca , measured volts 12.90, charge time 00:33:37, amp hours 12.9. So I’m still at a loss as to why the problem. Picked up the car today, will see how is does. If problem persists I will take it to another vendor or replace the battery myself. Why I should have to pay for what a warranty should cover is what irritates me.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    962 times
    Have you checked the trunk outlet to ensure it’s functioning?

Mileage
    C7 31,000 miles
    Member #
    Liked
    2859 times
    The mechanic's comment was absurd. Go somewhere else for service. I do not trust my prized possessions to absurd people.

My car, original battery, went into service in October 2014, and sits from Thanksgiving to Easter on a CTEK, and starts up with gusto Spring from its winter sleep
    jsvette, Ateupjoe, bbrun and 1 others like this.
    Order placed Sept 16 2014, Roadster, 2LT, Z51 mag ride, 8AT, PDR/NAV. Night Race Blue, Jet Black interior, Red Calipers, Carbon Flash Badges.
    wrapped in Xpel Ultimate, came home Oct 31. Using Range AFM Suppression
    "The Beast"

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    I will recommend for you to contact CTEK.
    Here are their contact information:
    Office +1 (312) 967-1430
    Toll Free +1 (800) 941-7611

Good luck.
    Mack likes this.
    2016 Corvette Coupe Z51 3LT A8, Shark Gray with Kalahari interior, Magnetic Ride, Performance Exhaust & Aluminum Wheels.

Sponsored Links