Cracked wheel
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Cracked wheel

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Cracked wheel

I have a 2015 Stingray with the standard wheels. My LF tire started losing pressure. Thought I had a nail. Took it to the tire store for repair, and they said the wheel was cracked. Since I haven't hit anything I took it to the dealer for warranty repair. Dealer says GM denied the warranty claim because there was a scratch on the inside of the wheel, and the crack could be physical damage. The tire is fine. Since I know I haven't hit anything, and you can tell by looking at the wheel that it hasn't suffered an impact great enough to damage it, I think it was a defective wheel. A new wheel is $550. I'd like to appeal. Any advice?

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Are you the car's original owner since new? How many miles on the car now? Do you have photos of the crack and scratch to share with us for evaluation? It would be helpful to know their exact locations on the wheel...

Truthfully, given that the OEM wheels are cast and run very low profile tires, I'm surprised we don't hear more of these stories.
    Last edited by Z06TOAMGGT; 12-21-2015 at 08:50 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    I've seen a whole set of very nice used wheels for around $600 so that's what I would opt for IF you have no luck with warranty coverage...I know you don't need a whole set, but for the price it would give you some back ups, if further issues were to occur.
    2015, Z51, Blade Silver, Jet Black, A8, MagRide
    1969, Z28, Fathom Green w/White Stripes, Black, DZ 302, M21

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    19631 times
    As Z06TOAMGGT noted above, these our tires are very low profile, providing little cushioning margin when encountering a pothole. Hitting one pothole wrong can easily crack a rim. And why some who live in a part of the country where every major city is in the running for "worst potholes in American" (the cities of the Northeast), buy wheel and tire insurance. Know of one Porsche owner who blew two wheels and tires last year alone, again for hitting just two different potholes, so not just Corvettes, but all who have low profile tires, are much more suspectible to blown tires, cracked wheels and even suspension damage.

Here is a little known fact and a major travesty. About a decade ago when New York City was besieged by citizens clamoring for pothole repairs, as they then had a formal pothole repair program (do not know if they still do), NYC re-defined a pothole to having to be at least 10" in diameter and at least 8" deep, and anything smaller than that would no longer be declared a pothole, but a road irregularity no longer subject to the pothole repair program. Are you blanking kidding me, if a hole in a road is only 9" wide and only 7" deep, it is not a pothole there.

Fortuna, hope your appeal to GM, using sections 13.1 through 13.3 of your Owners Manual gets you a new wheel under warranty, but candidly, think that would be unlikely. (Hope I am wrong.)
    John

Fortunate owner of "WRP SPD," our Z06! [7M, stage 2+ coupe]. List of mods here:
    Hidden Content

Lifetime & Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum!

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    370 times
    No note of whether the car is a Z51 and mag ride. Folks need to be particularly careful of track setting in this configuration, as the combination of very hard suspension reaction and very low profile tires can cause issues with the wheels becoming cracked. Even on track, non-friendly corner curbing can cause an issue on the track.
    glen e, lakemg, Mack and 1 others like this.
    Jeff

2015 Crystal Red / Kalahari, Z51,2LT, MSRC, Chrome wheels with black calipers, body color roof, PDR/NAV

Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    19631 times
    Adding to JCar's comment, we were informed at Spring Mountain that GM recommends against using track setting for street usage due to potential damage caused by road bumps and potholes.
    John

Hidden Content

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    2700 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JCar View Post
    No note of whether the car is a Z51 and mag ride. Folks need to be particularly careful of track setting in this configuration, as the combination of very hard suspension reaction and very low profile tires can cause issues with the wheels becoming cracked. Even on track, non-friendly corner curbing can cause an issue on the track.
    He commented Stingray with Stock wheels then quoted $550 replacement from the dealer. This is obviously not a Z51 and does not have MRSC as that necessitates the Z51 wheels which go for a lot more then $550 from a dealer.
    greggshere likes this.
    Mark

2015 Porsche Boxster GTS
    2014 2LT Z51 7sp Coupe (sold)
    2017 F-150 (tow vehicle)
    2015 Porsche Macan S (wife's daily driver)

Member #

Cracked wheel

Same thing happened to my 2014 Z51. Car had less than 3000 miles on it and never hit
    any chug holes etc. Just started loosing air in the tire. Small crack about an inch long. Dealer replaced wheel under warranty
    Last edited by C7 VETT; 12-24-2015 at 07:15 PM.

Member #
    I discovered exactly the same thing on my 2014 vette with less than 6000 miles on it. The front left wheel (inside rim)had a small crack in it along with a scratch on the lip of the rim. I am extremely careful when out driving and have not hit or run over anything that I am aware of. I have owned 5 vettes and never had a problem with a wheel cracking or even getting damaged for that mater. A lot of cars have low profile tires now days and are used as a daily driver. If normal driving on paved roads with occasional pot holes in them causes wheels to crack, that could become a major safety concern for a lot of drivers. Unfortunately It takes more than a few complaints before GM would ever raise an eyebrow to such an issue, much less repair or replace something like a defective wheel on a vehicle that can go 180 mph.

Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    19631 times
    As we look at C5's to the present, and also look at not just other sports cars, but including every day cars, their tire profiles have been getting markedly less. Better fuel mileage, better handling, and most liking the lower tire profile "looks," are three reasons for this.

Consequently, and this is far from a GM unique issue, more and more folks are cracking their wheels and/or blowing their tires, and of course road surfaces have been deteriorating rapidly all over this country during this same time period.

Wheel and tire damage insurance was pretty much unheard of when C5's first appeared, yet now many folks are buying it. The percentage of buyers buying it in the Boston, New York, Philadelphia, DC and many other areas has climbed exponentially the last five years.

The expression, "you got to pay to play" is unfortunately one of the prices we all get to pay, sooner or later, with our extremely low profile tires. And again, this is not even remotely a GM issue. Know one person who owns a Subaru in New York City and who has had four cracked wheels in just the last 18 months. Thankfully he learned on his last Subaru, and bought wheel and tire insurance the day he left the dealership with his new 2014.
    John

Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Update: The dealer repaired my car by replacing the wheel. Not covered by warranty, $600 bill. I contacted the customer service line in the owner's manual to appeal. The rep told me she'd investigate and call me back in a few days. A few weeks later a rep called back, and unfortunately I couldn't understand her. She was offering me a tire and wheel road hazzard policy. I couldn't tell if she was trying to sell it to me, or if this is how they were resolving my warranty claim. I told her I wanted my $600 repair bill refunded. She told me she'd be back in touch. I received an e-mail describing my road hazzard warranty a week later. It stated it was valued at $900, and it doesn't look like it's costing me anything. Who knows if I'll be contacted again.
    Last edited by elegant; 02-01-2016 at 01:47 PM.

Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    19631 times
    Glad your warranty is paying for your replacement wheel!
    John

Hidden Content

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6019 times
    Quote Originally Posted by elegant View Post
    Glad your warranty is paying for your replacement wheel!
    The warranty did not pay according to what is written in post #11.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    7190 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna View Post
    Update: The dealer repaired my car by replacing the wheel. Not covered by warranty, $600 bill. I contacted the customer service line in the owner's manual to appeal. The rep told me she'd investigate and call me back in a few days. A few weeks later a rep called back, and unfortunately I couldn't understand her. She was offering me a tire and wheel road hazzard policy. I couldn't tell if she was trying to sell it to me, or if this is how they were resolving my warranty claim. I told her I wanted my $600 repair bill refunded. She told me she'd be back in touch. I received an e-mail describing my road hazzard warranty a week later. It stated it was valued at $900, and it doesn't look like it's costing me anything. Who knows if I'll be contacted again.
    Fortuna, hopefully they will contact you again and take care of your situation, keep at it.

SF
    Rick
    2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Masterpiece, Torch Red, Jet Black Interior. Delivered to our home on 2 March 2014 from MacMulkin Chevrolet, Nashua, NH.
    Options: 2LT Package, 6-Speed Automatic Transmission, Chrome Wheels, Performance Exhaust, Navigation, Transparent Roof, Red Brake Calipers, Battery Protection.
    Mods: FormulaOne Performance Tint, CQuartz Sealant, XPEL Ultimate Protection Film (Hood, Front Fenders, Bumper, Mirrors, Headlights, Door Handle Cups, Door Seals), RPI Jack Pucks, WeatherTech Floor Liners.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Just had my right rear replaced on a 17 GS at WIN Chevrolet in Carson CA due to a stress crack. Covered under warranty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links