Rocker panel crack
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Rocker panel crack

Member #

Rocker panel crack

Anybody replaced a Aperture panel on a c7?

Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    19653 times
    This is, sorry to say, one of the most difficult, if not the most difficult panel to replace on a C7.

Reason: When the car is built, this panel is the first one put on the car, and unlike the rest, it is literally glued on. I saw one dealer who cracked one on a brand new car, first take off the door, then the front and rear fenders, then get out the chisel and hammer.

If there is any way, for this panel can easily be fixed with the current sheet metal composite panel equivalent of bondo, the panel can be repaired as opposed to being replaced, this option will save, in labor, way in excess of hundreds of dollars, perhaps in excess of $500+.

Once properly fixed with the modern bondo, and this can easily be done by a competent body shop, sanded and repainted, you will never notice it has been done.
    John

Fortunate owner of "WRP SPD," our Z06! [7M, stage 2+ coupe]. List of mods here:
    Hidden Content

Lifetime & Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum!

Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    nasty miserable replacement - repair it if at all possible
    elegant likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    19653 times
    Here is a picture for all who want to see what GM calls the aperture panel (what we call "rocker panels").

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1577
Size:  246.8 KB
    Last edited by elegant; 03-10-2016 at 10:10 PM.
    jsvette and cutnout like this.
    John

Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    5341 times
    Quote Originally Posted by elegant View Post
    This is, sorry to say, one of the most difficult, if not the most difficult panel to replace on a C7.

Reason: When the car is built, this panel is the first one put on the car, and unlike the rest, it is literally glued on. I saw one dealer who cracked one on a brand new car, first take off the door, then the front and rear fenders, then get out the chisel and hammer.

If there is any way, for this panel can easily be fixed with the current sheet metal composite panel equivalent of bondo, the panel can be repaired as opposed to being replaced, this option will save, in labor, way in excess of hundreds of dollars, perhaps in excess of $500+.

Once properly fixed with the modern bondo, and this can easily be done by a competent body shop, sanded and repainted, you will never notice it has been done.
    I believe the seats have to come out too so you can pull up the carpet and get to the inside parts of the panel. A repair shop manual I recently saw showed this to be a 13 hour labor charge! Ouch!
    elegant likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Current Corvettes: C7 2017 Grand Sport Coupe, C5 2003 50th Anniversary Vert, C4 1991 Bright Red ZR-1, C2 1963 L88 Grand Sport Roadster

Previous Corvettes: C7 2015 Night Race Blue Coupe, C7 2014 Velocity Yellow Coupe, C6 2013 Night Race Blue GS Vert, C6 2012 Blade Silver Coupe, C5 2004 Lemans Blue Vert, C5 2003 Black Z06, C5 1999 Navy Blue Metallic Vert, C5 1999 Magnetic Red-II, C5 1998 Light Pewter Metallic Coupe, C4 1994 Competition Yellow Vert, C4 1989 Charcoal Metallic Vert, C3 1980 Silver Coupe, C3 1973 Dark Blue Metallic Coupe, C2 1964 Daytona Blue Metallic Coupe, C1 1962 Roman Red Roadster

Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    19653 times
    That makes sense Jeremy. Thanks. Had not even thought of that, but based on the above picture, can see why they too need to be removed.
    John

Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    2335 times
    I feel sick just reading this. It's not even my car. Hope you get the results you're looking for with minimal $$$ pain.

Gus
    2015 Stingray Coupe — AW, 2LT, 7M, Black Interior, NPP Exhaust, NAV/PDR, 5 Spoke 18/19 Black Wheels, Visible Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Flash Painted Spoiler (w/white mirrors), Carbon Flash Emblems, Gorilla Black Lug Nuts, Painted Stinger, MGW Shifter, RPI Design Side Skirts, "Spice Black" Powder Coated Wheels

••• SOLD •••• 20MARCH2017

Ordered 12/23/14, Produced 3/5/15, Shipped 3/11/15, Dealer 3/13/15, Drove 140 miles home from Dealer 29March2015. It was a beautiful day!

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    7192 times
    fredl, welcome aboard, what's the story behind the crack, any pictures. It may help out a fellow member if it was to happen to them. Hope you get your C7 masterpiece back to 120%.

SF
    Rick
    2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Masterpiece, Torch Red, Jet Black Interior. Delivered to our home on 2 March 2014 from MacMulkin Chevrolet, Nashua, NH.
    Options: 2LT Package, 6-Speed Automatic Transmission, Chrome Wheels, Performance Exhaust, Navigation, Transparent Roof, Red Brake Calipers, Battery Protection.
    Mods: FormulaOne Performance Tint, CQuartz Sealant, XPEL Ultimate Protection Film (Hood, Front Fenders, Bumper, Mirrors, Headlights, Door Handle Cups, Door Seals), RPI Jack Pucks, WeatherTech Floor Liners.

Member #
    Liked
    1069 times
    Quote Originally Posted by elegant View Post
    Agree the proper Bondo for composites (like bumpers) is no doubt the best solution!

Just a note to those who are wondering if they should buy jack pads!
    Got my C7 in October 2013. GM requested I bring it back to have the differential fluid level checked. I had jack pads as I did for my C6 and when I brought the car in for service asked the gal who schedules maintenance to be sure they use my 4 jack pads that I left on the passenger seat.
    Knew her from my C6 and was always impressed with her knowledge. She said, "Don't worry I will be sure they use our drive on alignment rack and not our center post lifts," (of which they have ~12 versus one drive on alignment rack.) She continued and said, "We just cracked a Vette rocker panel and had to repair it!"
    She also brought me into the repair bay, introduced me to the recently C7 trained Vette mechanic who let me watch as he checked the fluid level (it was fine.)
    I have NOT had to bring my C7 back to the dealer since, I do my own oil changes etc. If I do bring it to the car dealer or a tire shop, I will emphasize the need to use my four, 2 inch high jack pads (needed to clear my carbon fiber side skirts.)
    In fact wish I had purchased the Reverse Logic jack pads that can be temporarily bolted in place so I don't have to "hope" the mechanic will follow my request to install mine! FWIW
    Last edited by Jerry U; 03-11-2016 at 06:16 AM.
    C7Man, frankieb and elegant like this.
    Hidden Content 2017 Grand Sport, M7, Stage 2 Aero, Machined Faced Wheels, 2.5 LT Red Interior with Red Seat Belts
    C7 Carbon Rear Diffuser

Member #
    Liked
    2335 times
    Good info. Thanks, Jerry U.
    2015 Stingray Coupe — AW, 2LT, 7M, Black Interior, NPP Exhaust, NAV/PDR, 5 Spoke 18/19 Black Wheels, Visible Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Flash Painted Spoiler (w/white mirrors), Carbon Flash Emblems, Gorilla Black Lug Nuts, Painted Stinger, MGW Shifter, RPI Design Side Skirts, "Spice Black" Powder Coated Wheels

••• SOLD •••• 20MARCH2017

Ordered 12/23/14, Produced 3/5/15, Shipped 3/11/15, Dealer 3/13/15, Drove 140 miles home from Dealer 29March2015. It was a beautiful day!

Member #
    Name:  IMG_0716.JPG
Views: 1817
Size:  2.35 MB[ATTACH=CONFIG]44285[/ATTACH

Happened pulling into a parking lot in Flagstaff AZ. A dip then an elevated sidewalk. Problem was I didn't see the curb on other side of sidewalk.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Happened pulling into parking lot in Flagstaff AZ. I live in Missouri. A dip and then an elevated sidewalk. Problem was I didn't see the curb on other side of sidewalk. Body shop estimate was about 2700.00 including both right side tires. I drove 1200 miles on that tire.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    7192 times
    Fred, that is a nasty hit and a serious bite on your sidewall. That's one place on our C7 I worry about hitting something in the road other than the oil pan.

SF
    Rick
    2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Masterpiece, Torch Red, Jet Black Interior. Delivered to our home on 2 March 2014 from MacMulkin Chevrolet, Nashua, NH.
    Options: 2LT Package, 6-Speed Automatic Transmission, Chrome Wheels, Performance Exhaust, Navigation, Transparent Roof, Red Brake Calipers, Battery Protection.
    Mods: FormulaOne Performance Tint, CQuartz Sealant, XPEL Ultimate Protection Film (Hood, Front Fenders, Bumper, Mirrors, Headlights, Door Handle Cups, Door Seals), RPI Jack Pucks, WeatherTech Floor Liners.

Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    19653 times
    Was the body shop estimate for a replacement panel? If so, with two brand new tires, that is a fair price. If it was for a replacement panel, personally (and all know what a fanatic I am about keeping my Corvette pristine), would get an estimate for a panel repair --for looking at just your one picture, it does not seem to need to be replaced. If it is for a repair of the existing panel and two tires, their price is high IMO. And if that body shop says, we can not repair it, would be taking it to at least another two to confirm that it is not repairable.
    rdslon01 likes this.
    John

Hidden Content

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6093 times
    The structural integrity is still there for that part. It just looks bad. I don't see any reason why this cannot be repaired. I would do as elegant suggests and get estimates for repairing it.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links