Anyone with any opinions on non run flat tires
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Anyone with any opinions on non run flat tires

Member #
    Liked
    140 times

Anyone with any opinions on non run flat tires

I don't need all season tires either. I live in AZ so there isn't any snow. I just bought some Z06 reproduction rims in black chrome for my Z51. I have almost 15k on my old stock tires so they will be replaced. Any reviews from people with non runflats would be greatly appreciated.
    2015 Convertible DSOM Z51 3LT A8 with MSRC

Member #
    Liked
    1047 times
    If you don't track the car, you could use non runflat ones.
    GM have asked Michelin to develop specific runflat tires, which have extremely hard sidewalls, for the C7 to work at the best with it's active suspension, that permits awesome performances but it's known that non runflat tires are much more comfortable (and less expensive).
    SwisStingray aka Alain
    English is not my native language, so please be tolerant Hidden Content -- '15 Z51, Shark Gray, M7, MRC, 3LT Kalahari with Competition seats, carbon fiber instrument panel... Still added: Apsis carbon fiber console and diverses, GM front lip, Z06 grille, special painted wheels, MGW shifter, catch can, ACS side skirts, G3 fins.

Mileage
    W&C I, II, & III, Mileage 31K+
    Member #
    Liked
    14211 times
    It's a personal preference thing, safety, vs performance, vs ride, vs peace of mind, etc. No right or wrong in my opinion, I've had both on my C5's and C6, and they served their purpose. I can say that the Michelin RFs give a much better ride than the GY RFs.
    purpleRac3r and Mack like this.
    Hidden Content

CnC JCS USA USN USMC USCG USAF USAR USNR USMCR USCGR USAFR ARNG ANG USMM NOAA USPHS AUS CSA Police/Fire/EMS/EMT

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

Member: NCM, FSCC, CCCUK

2016 Z06 Black Coupe A8
    1975 L-82 Bright Blue Stingray TT A3

“All Corvettes are high performance… it’s just a matter of degree.”

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    323 times
    I run Michelin AS/3 non run flats on my car and love them. They handle well, ride better, and most importantly (to me) is they aren't as sticky and don't grab and throw rocks at the rockers and 1/4 panels of my black car. True it may not be able to turn as fast of a lap on the Nurburgring, but it handles better than anything I've ever driven, at speeds I shouldn't even be driving on public roads. I keep a little compressor and slime kit in the trunk for peace of mind, but to be honest I haven't had a flat on any car in 25 years, and if I did I'd just use my AAA card and call for help anyhow.
    Mack, Wolf's Stinger and mneadle like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1057 times
    Yep...have a membership to AAA!
    2015 AW 7M
    Procharger Supercharger, D1
    Kooks Headers/X-pipe
    Corsa "Extreme" Axle Back with black tips
    XO Luxury Verona wheels on Michelin 265/30/20s and 305/30/20s
    Alky Control Meth Injection System

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joegovette View Post
    I don't need all season tires either. I live in AZ so there isn't any snow. I just bought some Z06 reproduction rims in black chrome for my Z51. I have almost 15k on my old stock tires so they will be replaced. Any reviews from people with non runflats would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm sorry. But luckily no experience yet!

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    1025 times
    This is a topic that I have followed here and elsewhere since before I even ordered my car.

There are many people here who use non-run flat all season tires. I've yet to see anyone report that they did NOT like them. People seem to love them. Improved (softer) ride quality, less road noise, less sticky tire rock throwing, etc.

The down side is that we don't have spare tires. Many carry 'fix a flat' or tire plugs and portable air compressors.

If you only drive around town or in areas where help is only a phone call away, I think they are fine. I would love A/S tires on my Z06 but I take long road trips and have been in areas out West with no cell service and 50 miles or more from any help. A flat with no spare would be much more than an inconvenience.

My own lesson in this regard came early. With 500 miles on my vette I suddenly lost all pressure in the front passenger tire. And I was driving fast on a local interstate. Fast. My control panel said zero pressure in the tire. I didn't believe it. I found the nearest gas station but tire would even hold air, the hole was so big. So I made it on my ZP with literally zero pressure to a tire store and when they got the tire off, I saw why it wouldn't hold air. The tire had picked up a screw and the hole was so big you could see through it. Once they discovered that there was no replacement tire to be had locally (I told them they wouldn't find one, and the guy smugly told me he could find any tire) they reluctantly and without charging me patched the hole. I had to order a new tire from tire rack and wait 4 days for it to arrive. This convinced me, that in light of my road trips, I would stick with the ZP tires which I have found performs much more civilly than I thought they would, even in rain.

So I wait for Z06 size ZP A/S tires that will probably never come.
    Racer_X, Mobius and Cur like this.
    /Don

Diablo Azul, 2015 Laguna Blue /Jet Black Z06 A8 Convertible, created January 27, 2015.

Member #
    Liked
    1252 times
    Forgive my ignorance here ... does Michelin makes a ZP runflat A/S tire in the 19/20 Z51 tire size? I am looking to upgrade my wheels from stock 18/19 to 19/20s and would like to put A/S on them but would still prefer the run flat for reasons stated above. Thanks.
    Frank
    2015 VY Stingray Coupe 1LT w/Black interior
    M7 NPP Nav PDR Transparent Roof Yellow Calipers

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    1025 times
    Racer X, I do not believe Michelin makes a ZP A/S Z51 sizes. And no A/S in Z06 sizes. I again just checked Tire Rack and they did not offer ZP A/S Michelin in Z51 sizes.

If someone knows otherwise, please correct me.
    /Don

Diablo Azul, 2015 Laguna Blue /Jet Black Z06 A8 Convertible, created January 27, 2015.

Member #
    Liked
    1252 times
    Thanks for clarifying Don - that was what i suspected as well.

Elegant - if your around do you have any new info on Z51 Michelin ZP A/S tires? I know you were looking into Z06 tires also. TIA.
    Last edited by Racer_X; 07-20-2016 at 03:14 PM.
    Frank

Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    19631 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
    Thanks for clarifying Don - that was what i suspected as well.

Elegant - if your around do you have any new info on Z51 Michelin ZP A/S tires? I know you were looking into Z06 tires also. TIA.
    Z06 and GS owners, sorry, for Michelin has not even announced them as forthcoming, let alone an availability date.
    Last edited by elegant; 07-20-2016 at 06:11 PM.
    John

Fortunate owner of "WRP SPD," our Z06! [7M, stage 2+ coupe]. List of mods here:
    Hidden Content

Lifetime & Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum!

Member #
    Liked
    1252 times
    Any insight on Z51 tires John?
    Frank

Cur
    Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    I've been running non-run flats for the past 7k miles, Z51 size. I have AAA, and a plug/flat repair kit in the trunk cubby. I don't travel outside of any metro areas, so I'm not really worried about getting a flat. I also have another car, so that takes the burden off of being down for a day or two and not having access to the C7. In my situation, they are fine and I'm willing to take the risks.
    dwward likes this.
    كافر
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    железобетонное очко
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
    There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    1025 times
    Cur has described the situation for many people here who are running A/S tires.

With the exception of my annual long road trip, he has described me, including the AAA. My trunk cubby has a fix a flat, 12 volt compressor and plugs.

However, if we got seriously stranded with a flat on a long road trip, that would be the end of those road trips in the Vette that included my better half. And I have no interest in those trips alone.

So until Michelin comes to their senses with a ZP A/S in Z06/GS sizes, I'm stuck. I know John and some others who have had access to Michelin reps have worked them for such a tire pointing out that with the GS that tire market is probably bigger than they may appreciate. One day maybe.
    Wolf's Stinger likes this.
    /Don

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I switched to the non runflat tires on my C5 and did the same for the C7. The ride is better and the idea of being able to drive my C7 all year round was too much for me to keep the Michelins on my car. I carry a patch kit, compressor and low profile jack in the back of the C7. Here is what I am running. Best bang for the buck.

BFGOODRICH
    G-FORCE COMP-2 A/SUltra High Performance All-Season
    Last edited by Fastbob; 07-21-2016 at 07:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links