Strange warble sound at or around 1500 RPM - Page 2
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Strange warble sound at or around 1500 RPM

Member #
    Liked
    302 times
    Strake, if you are in M and go through 1500 rpm w/ light throttle in 1st, 2nd or 3rd; does it warble?

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    Manta C7

Actually, NO...... it will do it in 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th....... but I haven't noticed it below 4th gear. It may do it @ 1500 rpm in the lower gears, but I haven't noticed it. FOR SURE in 4th or higher.
    Richard & Angie
    Gettysburg, PA

2017 Grand Sport 3LT Arctic White / Red A8
    2016 2LT Coupe Laguna Blue/Gray A8 (GM Buy Back)
    2013 60th Anniv 427 Vert (Sold)
    8 other Vettes over the years before these...
    first one was a '65 Roadster 327/300 Nassau Blue with white int. and top

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    GM Executive Mgmt has contacted 3 of us to start lining up them sending Engineers from their Proving Grounds in to our local dealerships to determine Root Cause Analysis and a solution to fix this noise.

Those of you with this WARBLE type noise, stay tuned, as in the coming weeks we should have a better understanding of what is the actual cause, and hopefully a solution.

If you are experiencing this noise from the rear of the car at a steady 1200 to 1600 RPM with light acceleration, in any gear, or driving mode....Please reply back to this thread.....

See my YouTube video/audio clip shown on posting # 15 of this thread..... you can hear the sound.

We will update this as soon as we get data in the coming weeks.

thanks,
    Richard
    Richard & Angie
    Gettysburg, PA

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6073 times
    I am glad that GM is taking this very seriously, and working on finding the root cause and some corrective action.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Member #
    Liked
    522 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Strake View Post
    I started posting questions about this noise in Feb 2016 as I was driving home from Kerbeck in Atlantic City, NJ with our new car and it started at about 40 miles. Been doing it ever since.
    I have post on this forum and Corvette Forum. BJones has the primary thread going which we are all using to contribute updates to on that forum.

Road surface does NOT affect whether or not I get the noise at 1500 rpm. I do not believe it has anything to do with tires.
    "Warble" noise heard on 2016 Corvette C7 A8 Trans. NPP Exhaust. Most noticeable at the 35 to 40 second mark, 1:09 to 1:18 min and 1:42 to 1:50 minute mark, and 2:35 to 2:42 minute. Can also be heard less noticeably through out when going up hill. Most always at 1500 rpm, regardless of V4 or V8 mode, or any other mode settings. Light pressure on the gas pedal.

I have a `15 Z06 w/A8 and mostly drive with M(manual paddle shifters). However, when I have used D (auto) I have noticed a light "rattle" (or flutter) at times when the engine switches to A4 at low 1500-1800 rpms. If I paddle to M it stops immediately.

https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/...35-50-mph.html

Have you tried testing with the paddles only at same rpms?

I think my issue may be the "belt tensioner" issue that has a TSB out. I have not gone further as it is not leaking any oil, but it seems to have symptoms associated with that TSB.
    Last edited by BOBSZO6; 08-26-2016 at 08:29 AM.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    BobsZ06,

Yes, I've tried just about every possible combination you can think of......... Manual, with paddles, Auto, every Drive mode ( Eco, W, T, Sport, Track), in V4 mode, in V8 mode, watching it switch from V4 to V8 and back, all Exhaust sound settings combined with all of the above other combinations.

The noise definitely sounds like it is coming from behind me on the left side. Does not sound like any engine noise.

Richard
    Richard & Angie
    Gettysburg, PA

Member #
    Liked
    522 times
    My "rattle" also sounds like it is from behind on the left side of the car. I thought at first it was a pump (fuel) running, but mine only does it when switching to A4 at light load in Auto drive mode.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    Bob,

I'd keep watching this thread, or the other forum thead titled: "Warble Sound Occasionally" to see what the GM Engineers find out on the three of us they are coming out to do discovery work on in the next few weeks.

Richard
    BOBSZO6 and NightRaceRick like this.
    Richard & Angie
    Gettysburg, PA

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    I have two sounds associated with light acceleration. I believe one is associated with the AFM but I'm not sure. To me, it sounds like a slight exhaust leak (almost a ticking noise). The sound comes from about the center of the car. I've heard this sound every since it was new. I've only noticed the other sound recently. To me, it sounds almost like a tarp flapping or panel rattling at low frequency. This sound only occurs around 1500 rpm under acceleration just above what it takes to hold a constant speed. It seems to come from in front of me in the engine compartment area. This one is harder to reproduce.
    2015 Torch Red Coupe, Kalahari, 3LT, Z51, MSRC, Auto

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    bjones, and strake. Have the same problem with my 2015 A8 since new. Drake, thanks so much for posting the video with sound which exactly is what I'm experiencing. I figured I couldn't be the only one but no one ever recorded it the way you have. I've been reluctant up to now to bring it in to Chevy as I do all my own oil changes. I'm hoping the "Customer Representative" on the forum might be able to respond to these posts relating to this problem. Appreciate any info.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10555 times
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzyc7 View Post
    bjones, and strake. Have the same problem with my 2015 A8 since new. Drake, thanks so much for posting the video with sound which exactly is what I'm experiencing. I figured I couldn't be the only one but no one ever recorded it the way you have. I've been reluctant up to now to bring it in to Chevy as I do all my own oil changes. I'm hoping the "Customer Representative" on the forum might be able to respond to these posts relating to this problem. Appreciate any info.
    Please note: If you would like our dedicated Chevrolet Customer Care team to assist, please send them a PM at "ChevroletCustomerCare" providing the details of your issue, along with your VIN and selling/servicing dealer.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    Muzzy,

Lots has been going on in the last few days on this...... 3 of us, myself, BJones and Highplains have been called by GM Exec Mgmt and Corvette Quality Management. They are sending Engineers to each of us. In fact, BJones had the Engineer with him, in his car yesterday. While there, and hearing the sound he got a call from his Engineering / Quality group in Detroit to say they had another car in their possession that has the same noise, and have found it to be the right side half shaft (axle) creating some type of harmonic resonance. Apparently, they put in a larger diameter half shaft ( Z06) and it fixes the problem. They were to overnight a new larger diameter half shaft for BJones car, but they have some back order thing going on.

If I were you, I would sit tight for a few days more and see what happens with the 3 of us ..... we will keep this updated.

Richard
    Richard & Angie
    Gettysburg, PA

Member #

Same Problem

My 2016 Stingray has the same noise. It is at the dealership now addressing the problem. So far I have been told it was a bearing and they are also ordering a new axle. Once I get the final description of the problem I will post. This sound started at 10 miles on the car. Very frustrating to say the least.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    smeder,

I would suggest you tell your dealer to call Chevy Engineer /Quality and tell them about MANY of us with the WARBLE noise going on. Looks like there may be light at the end of the tunnel for us all.

So WHAT bearing is being replaced, and WHY ???

Richard
    Richard & Angie
    Gettysburg, PA

Member #
    How do you send The GM Customer Care team a PM? I am having the same issue with my 2016 Stingray. It is currently at the dealer trying to get repaired. My car is a Damondtron Chevrolet in Texas City, TX.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links