Strange warble sound at or around 1500 RPM - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Strange warble sound at or around 1500 RPM

Member #
    Hi Richard,
    I will ask them to call. I am not sure what "bearing" they are talking about, sorry. The noise started at 10 miles. My car is like your 2LT Coupe Laguna Blue A8.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    PM sent to you moments ago....

Richard
    Richard & Angie
    Gettysburg, PA

2017 Grand Sport 3LT Arctic White / Red A8
    2016 2LT Coupe Laguna Blue/Gray A8 (GM Buy Back)
    2013 60th Anniv 427 Vert (Sold)
    8 other Vettes over the years before these...
    first one was a '65 Roadster 327/300 Nassau Blue with white int. and top

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    My dealer serv. manager called to say the shaft would be in on Tuesday (hopefully) and wanted my car in on Wed. to do the change out. I hope it works and I will update after the install. Z06 shaft on drivers side only and said they didn't want to change out both and possibly create another problem. I wanted both shafts changed but I guess I will settle for the one if it fixes the problem. I am told the C6 ZR1 has two different size shafts to eliminate wheel hop.
    Vigilance247 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    I heard my A8 1LT do this yesterday.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Update: Took car in yesterday and installed new z06 shaft on drivers side. Did nothing, still have the noise. SM to get back with Detroit Eng. and figure out what plan B is.
    Ateupjoe likes this.

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6073 times
    Just for this thread, I took special note yesterday around 1500 RPMs and a slight uphill load. I heard nothing like what some others are hearing. Whatever is abnormal/wrong with your cars which are exhibiting this noise, I hope GM will get it sorted out for you quickly.

Best wishes,

Rodney
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    UPDATE:

Just got a call from my local SM and he said the Engineer is coming in next Wednesday, Sept 14. I'm to have my car there before 8am. The Engineer will ride with me, to hear what I am hearing.

The Service Manager was told to order BOTH Z06 half Shafts, as that is what they intend on replacing. I will then come back Thursday morning to ride with them again, and hopefully go home and celebrate..... we'll see.

I hope the parts are available that quickly......

Richard
    Richard & Angie
    Gettysburg, PA

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    I have the same issue. Sounds like the motor/driveline is lugging due to the transmission not down shifting quickly enough to increase the rpms.
    Manta-C7 likes this.
    2016 Corvette Stingray Coupe w/Body Color and Transparent Roof Panel, Arctic White, 2 LT, A8 Trans, Mag Ride Control, Z51 Sway Bars, Red Calipers, NPP Exhaust, Borla X-pipe, K&N Air Filter, Performance Data and Video Recorder, Navigation, Remote Start, GM Front and Rear Splash Guards, G3 Carbon Aero Street System, Xpel

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    I don't see any signs of lugging, or the transmission not down shifting quickly enough. I can drive in Manual in 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, or 8th gear and different speeds and get the same WARBLE sound. The constant is it's always about 1500 RPM. Does not matter is it's in Manual, or Automatic, in V4, or V8, or in any of the different drive modes. Also does not matter if the exhaust is set to track, stealth, or anything else.

For most of us with this "Warble" noise, it's being at about 1500 rpm, light foot on the gas pedal, and best if on an incline of any amount. Take your foot off the gas, and it immediately goes away.
    muzzyc7 likes this.
    Richard & Angie
    Gettysburg, PA

Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    Whatever it is, it does not seem to cause any problems, for now at least.

Mileage
    39200km
    Member #
    Liked
    816 times
    I am experiencing same and have explored many areas. My dealer has another car in with same and they cannot pinpoint it. In my case, this occurs when I am leveled off at a speed 40 and above and there is no acceleration or deceleration. It is a noise that starts and then at one point becomes a warbling. It stops if I accelerate or, most of the time, on its own. It does not occur with acceleration or deceleration or going up hills and seems to only occur when the car is running steady at its lightest load. In my case, it is most obvious when listening into the drivers area where the accelerator is.

I thought maybe it was the flexplate but have changed my mind as there are different symptoms apparent with the flex plate. The flexplate issues are due to the fact that initial engines have the flexplate secured by rivet which loosens and causes that noise. The fix for that is to replace it and the bolts. It is handy to note that there is a TSB for this sound that suggests the flexplate be replaced if the sound cannot be pinpointed. There are cases with same sound after replacement in result. I also considered the torque converter and might suggest the person who states his vehicle becomes sluggish when accelerating look into that possibility. Tuned into this thread and it sure would be great to catch a great audio recording of the sound...its a hard bugger to nail down though.

Oh FWIW, I just finished a trip running the hell out of the car out east. I think we put on about 600 miles. The sound was there before and is still there. It does not appear to affect any functionability of the car, and as well does not affect the mileage as I hit 27mpg at one point during this trip for the first time EVER!
    Last edited by AllFlash; 09-09-2016 at 02:26 PM.
    JaysC7 likes this.
    Hidden Content

15 Z06 Coupe | DSOM | Auto | Flash Stinger, Mirrors and CFZ GroundFX | Spectra Rims | Black Calipers | 2LZ | Kalahari | NavPDR | Caravaggio CF Steering Wheel, Console, Splitter and Side Rails

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    Allflash,

I did post a YouTube video/audio clip which GM Corvette Quality Management, and their Exec Mgmt have seen. In case you didn't see it, here's the link:

"Warble" noise heard on 2016 Corvette C7 A8 Trans. NPP Exhaust. Most noticeable at the 35 to 40 second mark, 1:09 to 1:18 min and 1:42 to 1:50 minute mark, and 2:35 to 2:42 minute. Can also be heard less noticeably through out when going up hill. Most always at 1500 rpm, regardless of V4 or V8 mode, or any other mode settings. Light pressure on the gas pedal.

I'm hoping the Quality Engineer coming to evaluate my car next week has sensors to better capture the sound, and more importantly, WHERE that sound is coming from specifically.
    Last edited by Strake; 09-09-2016 at 06:12 PM. Reason: added note on where in the video sound is best heard
    JaysC7 and muzzyc7 like this.
    Richard & Angie
    Gettysburg, PA

Mileage
    39200km
    Member #
    Liked
    816 times
    I could be wrong but that sound seems different, like the flex plate which would cause exactly that sound as the rivets loosened. Your sound is like a "wop-wop-wop" which you can positively say is related to something spinning. Would that be correct?
    Hidden Content

15 Z06 Coupe | DSOM | Auto | Flash Stinger, Mirrors and CFZ GroundFX | Spectra Rims | Black Calipers | 2LZ | Kalahari | NavPDR | Caravaggio CF Steering Wheel, Console, Splitter and Side Rails

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    Allflash,

Yes, I'd say that's a fair assessment.
    Richard & Angie
    Gettysburg, PA

Mileage
    39200km
    Member #
    Liked
    816 times
    I wish I could capture it but mine is more like a rattling sound under the engine...totally random. At one point it sounds like there is a marble in the mix... It is like a loose plate that isnt connected to a spinning. Still watching the thread closely though.
    Hidden Content

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links