Strange warble sound at or around 1500 RPM
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Strange warble sound at or around 1500 RPM

Member #
    Liked
    19 times

Strange warble sound at or around 1500 RPM

Guys i have 2016 a8 stingray with 2,200 miles and day 2 of ownership i srarted getting a strange warble sound at around 1500 rpm when lightly accelerating. Power through the 1500 point and you do not hear it. Lot of us a8 stingray owners have this problem. I have a post on the corvette forum with over a 100 responses. My dealer said it was the exhaust so they replaced it without a fix. Now the say GM ENG says to replace the rear end. I am no eng. But i knew it wasn't the exhaust and i don't think it is the rear end either. I don't think i am going to let them replace the rear end without some assurance it will fix my problem. Do you guys have an opinion on this issue.
    Nitro C7 likes this.

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6073 times
    I have heard of this problem before. I think if you search this site you will find one or more threads on the subject.

Does the sound occur at 1500 RPMs regardless of what gear you are in, as long as the load on the drivetrain is light?
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    44 miles a day
    Member #
    Liked
    2926 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rdslon01 View Post
    I have heard of this problem before. I think if you search this site you will find one or more threads on the subject.

Does the sound occur at 1500 RPMs regardless of what gear you are in, as long as the load on the drivetrain is light?
    I have seen those posts before too. Posted 2 links below.
    Last edited by Vigilance247; 08-15-2016 at 06:32 PM.
    NCM Lifetime MemberXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXHaving trouble searching the forum? Try a Google search "[keyword] site:Hidden Content Vettenessa: 2015 Arctic White/Adrenaline Red 3LT Z51 M7 Coupe, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, GT seats, Performance data recorder, Carbon fiber instrument panel, Carbon flash badge package, Carbon flash spoiler and mirrors, Magnetic selective ride control, Performance exhaust, Electronic limited slip rear differential, Red painted brake calibers, Black machined aluminum wheels. Ordered on 10/23/2014. Status code 3000 on 12/18/2014. Status code 3300 on 01/15/15. TPW 01/26/15. Produced 01/15. Arrived 02/12/15.
    Hidden Content Valentine's Day
    2016 BASH
    Forum Rules
    Vendor Rules
    For-Sale Rules
    Business Rules
    Introductions
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    44 miles a day
    Member #
    Liked
    2926 times
    elegant likes this.
    NCM Lifetime MemberXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXHaving trouble searching the forum? Try a Google search "[keyword] site:Hidden Content Vettenessa: 2015 Arctic White/Adrenaline Red 3LT Z51 M7 Coupe, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, GT seats, Performance data recorder, Carbon fiber instrument panel, Carbon flash badge package, Carbon flash spoiler and mirrors, Magnetic selective ride control, Performance exhaust, Electronic limited slip rear differential, Red painted brake calibers, Black machined aluminum wheels. Ordered on 10/23/2014. Status code 3000 on 12/18/2014. Status code 3300 on 01/15/15. TPW 01/26/15. Produced 01/15. Arrived 02/12/15.
    2016 BASH
    Forum Rules
    Vendor Rules
    For-Sale Rules
    Business Rules
    Introductions
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    44 miles a day
    Member #
    Liked
    2926 times
    elegant and NightRaceRick like this.
    2016 BASH
    Forum Rules
    Vendor Rules
    For-Sale Rules
    Business Rules
    Introductions
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Mileage
    5000+
    Member #
    Liked
    728 times
    For what it's worth, I figured out it's the tires. I noticed the warble. I had it on another car. It went away after a bit. I think it's the unidirectional tire tread reacting to the road surface.

I have 6k miles and I no longer hear it.

fltsfshr
    bjones likes this.
    "Woody" 2016 Z51 3LT Blade Silver Roadster with Spice Red Package
    Never Hesitate. Take the shot

Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    19649 times
    I have heard many terms used to describe rhymic tire noises, including harmonic dissonance. Whatever it is called, certain types of pavements, coupled with our especially wide tires, can easily produce such irritating sounds. Usually but not always, this source is easy to diagnose, by hearing differences when the road surface changes.
    fltsfshr and Sauraus like this.
    John

Fortunate owner of "WRP SPD," our Z06! [7M, stage 2+ coupe]. List of mods here:
    Hidden Content

Lifetime & Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum!

Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    19649 times
    And my least favorite surface noise is that caused by concrete pavement interspersed about every 100' with a perpendicular tar strip. Tire whine, then thump...; whine, then thump..., etc., even with MSRP in its softest setting.
    BOBSZO6 likes this.
    John

Fortunate owner of "WRP SPD," our Z06! [7M, stage 2+ coupe]. List of mods here:
    Hidden Content

Lifetime & Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum!

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Yes under light acceleration no matter the gear ( a8) sorry if it is a duplicate, i tried the search but no luck, i am still trying to get used to navigating this forum.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    6073 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bjones View Post
    Yes under light acceleration no matter the gear ( a8) sorry if it is a duplicate, i tried the search but no luck, i am still trying to get used to navigating this forum.
    Okay, check out the threads linked above in post #5 and post #4.

As pointed out in those links, since your problem is related to a constant RPM and not a constant speed, then the source should not be in the rear differential, or the axle, or the wheels. If I were you, I would not let them replace my rear differential at this point in time. Check those threads for more details, and pay more attention to the later posts in those threads when more information was available.

My take on the summaries from those threads (which I quickly scanned again today) is that no known solution exists at this time.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Sorry for recreating the wheel, didn't see the other post during my search. Admin feel free to delete, thanks

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rdslon01 View Post
    Okay, check out the threads linked above in post #5 and post #4.

As pointed out in those links, since your problem is related to a constant RPM and not a constant speed, then the source should not be in the rear differential, or the axle, or the wheels. If I were you, I would not let them replace my rear differential at this point in time. Check those threads for more details, and pay more attention to the later posts in those threads when more information was available.

My take on the summaries from those threads (which I quickly scanned again today) is that no known solution exists at this time.
    rdslon01:

Actually, there are quite a number of us that have this problem (if it is one) mostly documented in another forum. We all have the same symptoms i.e. the odd noise at exactly 1000 RPM and then again at 1500 RPM. Most, if not all, are from C7, A8 transmission equipped cars. There is no other symptom except for the noise. It doesn't happen under hard acceleration-just when you accelerate gently. My service manager is convinced its the exhaust although others have had the entire exhaust system replaced with no results. However, he has no permission from GM to do anything and, to be honest, I'm not all too willing to jump on the idea of shotgunning parts at the car. The real frustration is the realization that this is a a GM issue, not the local dealer. And all GM does is fire it back to the dealer who can do nothing, at least in my case. I'd give anything to be able to get beyond the robots at GM's customer service and talk to someone who counts and is able to at least give me an idea of what they are doing about it, if anything. Besides all my bitching, I'd like to know what your take on the odd sound is.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    6073 times
    I am sorry, Flatlander. I don't know what the solution is.

I have not noticed the problem in my car.

The thread posted in link #5 above is the best resource I have seen on the subject.

I understand what you mean when writing that GM points you to your dealer instead of taking a more active role in the ownership of the problem. I find it annoying when I see that happen to others, and I can only imagine how frustrated it would make me if it happened to me personally.

Member #
    Liked
    302 times
    Flatlander, I started the thread on post #4 and I think the problem is the transmission and the way it was programmed, specifically the shift points set for fuel economy. When in D the car always seems to be in the highest possible gear for that speed and when you push the gas the transmission does not downshift immediately, and the engine has no enough torque to speed up the car and traverse that 1200-1500 rpm range, once it downshifts you suddenly see the rpms going up and the noises go away. It needs a lot of pedal input to downshift b/c the throttle response is set very slow even in Sport or Track.

If it was the exhaust valve, then how come it does not do it when you traverse 1500 rpm in 1,2,3,4 gears? The problem happens w/ high gears right?

My car does not do this anymore b/c After I installed a vitesse throttle controller the throttle response is very aggressive and a small pedal input produces the downshift. The TCM has learned that driving mode. It took a lot of traversing that range for that shift to get smoother, but it finally responds fast, smooth and no noises.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    I started posting questions about this noise in Feb 2016 as I was driving home from Kerbeck in Atlantic City, NJ with our new car and it started at about 40 miles. Been doing it ever since.
    I have post on this forum and Corvette Forum. BJones has the primary thread going which we are all using to contribute updates to on that forum.

Road surface does NOT affect whether or not I get the noise at 1500 rpm. I do not believe it has anything to do with tires.

Here's the video clip I've posted on both forums:

"Warble" noise heard on 2016 Corvette C7 A8 Trans. NPP Exhaust. Most noticeable at the 35 to 40 second mark, 1:09 to 1:18 min and 1:42 to 1:50 minute mark, and 2:35 to 2:42 minute. Can also be heard less noticeably through out when going up hill. Most always at 1500 rpm, regardless of V4 or V8 mode, or any other mode settings. Light pressure on the gas pedal.
    muzzyc7 likes this.
    Richard & Angie
    Gettysburg, PA

2017 Grand Sport 3LT Arctic White / Red A8
    2016 2LT Coupe Laguna Blue/Gray A8 (GM Buy Back)
    2013 60th Anniv 427 Vert (Sold)
    8 other Vettes over the years before these...
    first one was a '65 Roadster 327/300 Nassau Blue with white int. and top

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links