Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Teaser Pics....DIY quilted headliner

7K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  digitalstingray 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is a prototype headliner...a DIY will come later....

09/17...New pics added with a different material... see page 2....

update:

finally, got a chance to transfer the quilt to the carbon fiber top I've been running headliner-less....this is the next step toward determining if this project will be successful....I'll now be on the road with it....never realized how hard it is to photograph a headliner!....stay tuned for more....

update:

It passed the high temperature adhesion test over the weekend here in Michigan...temps were near 90*; car was parked in direct sun for several hours...CF top got hot as hell!...no issues.

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Would like to know what adhesive you used? My factory headliner was replaced for coming unglued. The replacement is doing the same thing. Really like what you made!

#9 ·
digitialstingray, that is an awesome idea and I can see it on the market soon. You could have an emblem sewn into it of your choice.

SF
Rick

Reactions: Richard Brubaker
#10 ·
thanks Rick, ...I started on this before GM offered it as an option recently...anyway, the sky's the limit on what can be done to accent the surface...those pesky stingray badges might work better up there than on the fenders...lol Or, an iron-on logo, or whatever. This all started when I bought a carbon fiber top that was very inexpensive on ebay...came with no hardware or headliner; at the same time I noticed the high end sports cars are using a 4" x 6" quilt pattern on interiors, as well as the hotrodders for decades. This is not a simple process, I am still working on the adhesive and proper backing material....I won't give away any breakthroughs here....you know how sneaky our vendors can be....LMAO!

question of the day: When was the last time you looked at your headliner?

#12 ·
Not something I have any use for ;) but very nicely done!

#14 ·
I would like to have something like that in a temporary mount option for the transparent top.

#16 ·
I think equally impressive as the headliner, is the organized garage in the background! Mine is filled with boxes, tools everywhere, garbage, etc. I really do like that headliner though, it looks fantastic.

I don't understand,....why was your top without a headliner?

#17 ·
haha, the garage is my haven! I am not that organized, but perhaps from a distance I am fooling you! LOL. Anyway, if you've seen the crazy prices on CF tops you can understand why anyone would do what I did, which is buy a top without any hardware or headliner. I picked one up on ebay for $800, had the sides painted Torch Red, and set out to make a headliner for it. I also transferred my top handles and weatherstripping from my painted top over to the CF one. I'll make a new headliner again this week...different material than the quilted. BTW, on the Eckler's website these tops are priced around $10000!!! Makes me wonder what is going on...I've seen $5000, and thought that was nuts, but 10k, scratchin' me noggin.

#18 ·
This is an awesome idea.... In the Texas summer heat, I can feel the radiant heat coming in on top of my progressively balding head as I drive the Laguna Blue around. This would help as a heat barrier I would think. And it actually looks nice in that car. More accents, impressive mod!

#19 ·
Yes, good thinking...in the blazing sun on a 90* day with the windows all closed up I can't tell you how hot that black carbon fiber roof was, but it was enough to cause my first headliner to come unglued, and fall off the top. I am guessing at least 150* if not more.... I am now using a foam insulation between the surfaces, and you are right, the radiant heat is gone....I'll keep posting new developments as this thing moves along...when I get time this weekend I am going to make a red faux suede one and a red/black hounds tooth one....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.