Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 2017 Grand Sport LT1 Engine Tapping Noise

Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    19631 times
    Quote Originally Posted by corvetter View Post
    It seems that there have been many engine failures, from what I've been reading.
    Ah, the great distortion of car forums, no matter what brand and model. True, we have read about more than a few LT1/LT4 engine failures. And let us also remember that a failure of a motor's part and it being fixed under warranty is a world different from a motor's total failure. But let us assume the worst, that all the motor parts' failures we have read about resulted in a motor's total failure, resulting in our perhaps reading about 50-75 LT1/LT4 motor failures on all Corvette forums. Knowing that car forum members remain in the minority of brand owners (again true of all brands/models), let us assume that the total LT1/LT4 failures were even five times that amount. So using the higher amount, let us use a very, very rough approximation of 375 LT1/LT4 motor failures.

Over 120,000 C7 Corvettes are in customers' hands.

375 divided by 120,000 = 0.31% C7 motor failures, e.g., a little less than 1/3rd of 1%.

To further look into actual motor failures, I just talked with Mike Furman, who has personally sold over 1,500 C7's, asking him how many engine failures have his 1,500+ C7 customers' experienced? His response was "1."

Yes, it is a catastrophic motor failure when it is your car or your friend's car, but we need to keep forum reported problems, whether they are motor failures, problems with the infotainment screen, etc., in perspective. Hard to do when we read car forums....
    Last edited by elegant; 12-28-2016 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Major math error fixed; thanks Möbius!
    Henry427 likes this.
    John

Fortunate owner of "WRP SPD," our Z06! [7M, stage 2+ coupe]. List of mods here:
    Hidden Content

Lifetime & Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum!

Supporting Vendor ChevroletCustomerCare's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    616 times
    Hi everyone,

I have taken some time to read over this thread, and see that a few of you are experiencing a noise concern with your Corvettes. I recognize how this may be frustrating and apologize for any inconvenience caused. Given the opportunity, I would be more than willing to contact your dealerships and provide an additional layer of support on our end. Please send us a private message along with your full contact information, current mileage, VIN, and preferred dealership name if this is something of interest.

All the best,

Julie C
    Chevrolet Customer Care
    For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit Hidden Content .

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Julie,

I will be taking the car into the dealer 1st thing when I get it out of storage in the spring. If I have an issue with the dealer I will look to you for some support.

Thank you!
    U.S. Marine likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Lifter problem and bent push rod! I had the light tapping noise start up about 4 weeks ago. Thought is was a loose shield of some kind at first. Finally decided it was engine related, at low rpm, appox. 1300 rpm, very light load, neighborhood driving heard tapping. Stingray with A8 trans. Dealer has car now to repair. Don’t know total damage yet, 12000 miles 2016 under warranty.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mine was definitely the lifters. I had the dealer replace both banks of lifters and I have not had a problem since. Good luck with your Vette!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Update on my tapping noise...Corvette still in the shop...lifters being replaced, cam is scored, being replaced, now inspecting lower end if any metal caused damage. 2016 Stingray A8.
    Busa Dave likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    719 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasC7 View Post
    Update on my tapping noise...Corvette still in the shop...lifters being replaced, cam is scored, being replaced, now inspecting lower end if any metal caused damage. 2016 Stingray A8.
    LOL time for a bigger one! Good luck with the repair should be perfect now. My neighbor had the same issue with his 2018 GS all repaired under warranty. From what he told me it is not common but not uncommon on these engines per the mechanic who did the work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links