2017 Grand Sport LT1 Engine Tapping Noise
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 2017 Grand Sport LT1 Engine Tapping Noise

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Sound like a bad lifter? Car as 670 miles on it. This noise has happened on Cold start 4 times. Temp around 40 degreed F.

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6018 times
    For what it is worth, here is a normal to quiet LT4:

Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Sounds like the mechanical fuel pressure pump. Common to Direct Injection motors. The EcoTech3 motor (5.3L) in my Silverado makes the same noise and so does the LT1 in '15 Stingray. The pump is located at the back of the motor under the intake.
    2015 Torch Red Z51 with MRC & A8

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    I have the same (clicking) sound on my 2017 GS. Assumed it was the FI's. Usually happens only at or slightly below 40 degrees F.
    2019 GS Coupe Elkhart Lake Blue
    2020 BMW X2 M35i

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    I noticed a lot of different "weird" noises from the LT motor/D.I. compared to the normal sounds I was accustomed to on my old LS motor.
    2015 C7 Stingray /Shark Gray Metallic / Adrenaline Red / 7 Speed Manual / 2LT / Carbon Fiber Dual Roof Package / Performance Data Recorder & Navigation / 18" Front & 19" Rear Black Machined Aluminum Wheels / Multi-Mode Performance Exhaust / Z51 Carbon Flash Rear Spoiler / Carbon Flash Badges / Battery protection
    Upgrades - Katech Ported Throttle Body / Z06 Front Grille & Brake Ducts / Front Lower Chin Spoiler / ACS Rear Spoiler Wickers / GM Splash Guards / Jake Skull Center Caps

2009 Hummer H3T Adventure pkg / 5spd manual / 4:1 Transfer Case / E-Lockers / 4:56 Gears / 1 of 56 built with manual transmission and Adventure pkg

Mileage
    Approaching 86000 and still drives like new!
    Member #
    Liked
    1013 times
    Bueler, I suggest having the dealer take a look at it. I have the LT1, and have driven mine in all kinds of temperatures, even below zero (with all-season tires!). Never once in over 57000 miles has mine made such a loud ticking. If mine were to start up one day sounding like that, I'd be at my dealer asap, as in my experence that sound most definitely is NOT normal.

Out of curiosity, when its making that noise, how is the oil pressure? Steady at about 35-38 psi or does it vary a lot, or perhaps significantly lower or higher? Is your idle rpm smooth and steady or does it jump around a fair bit? Data such as this will help your dealer diagnose the problem faster.
    Vince

Hidden Content Driven a lot! My '74 Stingray, not driven so much now....

2014 Z51 Coupe, Cyber Gray Metallic, Gray interior w/suede seat inserts, exposed carbon fiber roof panel, 7-speed manual, 2LT, non-NPP, non-mag ride, non-nav. C7 Carbon GTX carbon fiber rear spoiler, Z06-style carbon fiber splitter and skirts. Autographed console lid. Gloss GM carbon fiber dash bezel, Jake wheel center caps, tinted windows. More mods coming as money allows ...

National Corvette Museum member.

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    That could be bad lifters.

Member #
    Liked
    719 times
    My 6.2 DI truck engine and my Vette does it esp when it is cold. Took it in on the truck and it has to do with the fuel injection system. They make noise.

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6018 times
    Let me share one other thing which I was told by the Corvette service technician at the dealership where I bought Caroline.

He said that the variation in engine noise from one engine to another is very large for the C7.

I have to say that the video in the original post probably has the loudest ticking noise that I have personally ever heard from a C7 engine; nevertheless, for all that I know, it could be normal.

I think if I were you, I would take it to a Chevrolet dealership that I truly trust and ask them. If they told me it was normal, and if they are folks whom I trust, then I would say, "Thank you, please document this concern and my visit in my car's file." Having it documented could be a key for later, if it somehow eventually does turn into an issue that requires a repair. Having it formally documented earlier is in your favor in certain cases.

After that, I would go home and not worry about it.
    Last edited by rdslon01; 12-07-2016 at 09:31 AM.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I will have to take a look at the oil pressure. I have it tucked away until spring. But I will be researching this all winter. The RPMs are smooth and steady. When I accelerate of course the tapping gets faster. It disappears completely after a minute or two. I am just sick.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rdslon01 View Post
    Let me share one other thing which I was told by the Corvette service technician at the dealership where I bought Caroline.

He said that the variation in engine noise from one engine to another is very large for the C7.

I have to say that the video in the original post probably has the loudest ticking noise that I have personally ever heard from a C7 engine; nevertheless, for all that I know, it could be normal.

I think if I were you, I would take it to a Chevrolet dealership that I truly trust and ask them. If they told me it was normal, and if they are folks whom I trust, then I would say, "Thank you, please document this concern and my visit in my car's file." Having it documented could be a key for later, if it somehow eventually does turn into an issue that requires a repair. Having it formally documented earlier is in your favor in certain cases.

After that, I would go home and not worry about it.
    Thank You! I will do just that.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    The tapping sounds louder than mine. However, mine taps all the time. And I can hear it when driving at about 1500 rpm and above. Can anyone else hear the tapping with radio off and driving? Mine increases speed with rpm. I assume its the high pressure fuel pump. Dealer says it is normal. I don't agree because other LT1s I have listened to don't make the sound. Dealer says they do.

Mileage
    7300km
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I have a 2016 Z51 and I can hear a soft ticking noise when my rpms are low and I'm just coasting or slightly accelerating. I can only hear it with the radio off. It has been like since this new and I currently have 3000 miles on it. It however doesn't make the noise at idle that I can hear. Only under slight acceleration. I have always attributed it to the fuel pump as well.
    2016 Black,Z51,M7,MRC

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    7190 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bueler View Post
    I will have to take a look at the oil pressure. I have it tucked away until spring. But I will be researching this all winter. The RPMs are smooth and steady. When I accelerate of course the tapping gets faster. It disappears completely after a minute or two. I am just sick.
    Bueler, did you get the chance to take it in to the Chevrolet service department and advise them on the situation? Source documentation to cover your six if the motor goes south. Hopefully it turns out for the best.

SF
    Rick
    2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Masterpiece, Torch Red, Jet Black Interior. Delivered to our home on 2 March 2014 from MacMulkin Chevrolet, Nashua, NH.
    Options: 2LT Package, 6-Speed Automatic Transmission, Chrome Wheels, Performance Exhaust, Navigation, Transparent Roof, Red Brake Calipers, Battery Protection.
    Mods: FormulaOne Performance Tint, CQuartz Sealant, XPEL Ultimate Protection Film (Hood, Front Fenders, Bumper, Mirrors, Headlights, Door Handle Cups, Door Seals), RPI Jack Pucks, WeatherTech Floor Liners.

Member #
    Liked
    58 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bueler View Post
    There could be a problem with the valve lifters. It seems that there have been many engine failures, from what I've been reading. You should get it looked at, as it could need a rebuild or a replacement, or there may be a possibility of a buyback. Sure it looks good in the garage over the winter, but what happens in spring when you go to use it? Who wants that uncertainty this summer?
    Last edited by corvetter; 12-28-2016 at 06:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links