GM / Apple .... cozy up with CarPlay
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By glen e
  • 1 Post By rdslon01
  • 1 Post By akpancake

Thread: GM / Apple .... cozy up with CarPlay

Big Rock between Venus and Mars (Michigan)
    Mileage
    Not Enough !!
    Member #
    Liked
    515 times

GM / Apple .... cozy up with CarPlay

Telematics Detroit 2014
    June 4-5 / The Suburban Collection Showplace, Novi, MI, USA

Apple Turns to Automotive

This exclusive article has been released in the build-up to Telematics Detroit 2014, the world’s largest forum for the connected car, where the telematics industry will gather to discuss the connected car’s current challenges and impact on the future of auto-mobility.

Understanding the impact of the latest Apple CarPlay announcement on the different areas of the telematics value chain will be discussed further at Telematics Detroit 2014

Thought I'd share the "White Paper" .....

Apple CarPlay: The industry verdict
    What would happen if Apple decided to turn its full attention to automotive?
    For the past several years, this question has been haunting the connected car industry as it struggled to match the consumers electronics giant, and others like it, on pace of innovation and intuitive user experience design.
    With the launch of CarPlay last month, the industry can stop wondering. Apple CarPlay is set to allow users to make calls, use maps, listen to music and access messages from the dash of compatible cars, with or without the assistance of Siri, which will be a press of a button on the steering wheel away.
    Apple described the system as a “smarter, safer and more fun way” of using an iPhone in the car.
    Three auto manufacturers – Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo – are set to have CarPlay in vehicles by the end of 2014. And other OEMs, including BMW, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar Land Rover, Kia, Nissan, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota are set to follow.
    To gauge industry sentiment on Apple’s CarPlay, we asked six experts from across the connected car value chain the following question:

“What are your thoughts on Apple’s announcement of CarPlay? Is this a game-changing moment in the evolution of the connected car?”

Here is what they had to say:

Phil Abram, chief infotainment officer, General Motors
    “At GM, we understand that customers want their vehicles to be part of their digital lives. That means that the car integrates with their smartphones and that the car is a member of the broader connected ecosystem. We have worked with Apple over several years to better integrate the iPhone with the in-vehicle experience. GM was the first to introduce Siri Eyes Free mode in a vehicle. CarPlay is an extension and natural evolution in bringing the mobile world and the really mobile world (vehicles) closer together. That is why we are also participating as a founding member of Google’s Open Automotive Alliance and the Car Connectivity Consortium (MirrorLink).”

Martin Rosell, managing director, WirelessCar
    “We believe Apple's CarPlay is an excellent complement to traditional safety, security and convenience embedded telematics services, but it’s not a replacement or a game changer. The major problem for the OEMs remains having to support multiple environments and integration points, with increased maintenance cost and complexity to maintain an OEM-branded solution with all responsibilities, like driver distraction, safely covered.”

Derek Kuhn, vice president of sales and marketing, QNX Software Systems
    “The role of [the] mobile device in car has changed, and the brought-in device experience as a whole is an important aspect of the connected car. From MirrorLink and Miracast to now Apple CarPlay, many consumers are now able to mirror and access auto-relevant smartphone interfaces and applications via a vehicle’s infotainment system. This represents many new opportunities for technology providers like QNX Software Systems, automotive OEMs, developers and consumers alike.”

Roger Lanctot, associate director, automotive multimedia & communications service, Strategy Analytics
    “CarPlay is a clever little app from Apple that expands the Apple-oriented experience in cars for Apple fanboys and fangirls. Ironically, the fact that it creates an identical experience from OEM to OEM actually makes it a bit less attractive as it removes differentiation and leaves HMI decisions in Apple’s hands. From that standpoint, it is game changing along the same lines as MirrorLink or whatever Google’s automotive link ultimately looks like. Unlike MirrorLink, there is no governing coalition – just Apple. Google is at least trying to build a coalition with the Open Automotive Alliance – but this is similarly doomed to failure and marginalization. Removing differentiation diminishes the connection between the OEM and the customer, and raises liability questions. Google and Apple are not likely to ever indemnify automakers regarding their UI. For these and other reasons, I feel it is a temporary diversion while car makers work out their own handset-agnostic solutions.”
    Johann Jungwirth, president & CEO, Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America
    “As Mercedes-Benz, we set this trend of smartphone-based infotainment solutions already in 2012 with our Digital DriveStyle app and Drive Kit Plus. We are delighted to be the first German premium automotive OEM which worked very closely with Apple to integrate CarPlay into our vehicles. It is a game changer for the connected car, and [it] gives our customers and iPhone users an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, use maps, listen to music and access messages with just a word or a touch.”

Andrew Hart, head of advanced research, SBD
    “Twenty one OEMs have now launched their own smartphone integration solutions, and our independent testing shows that most of these continue to be plagued with usability, compatibility and functionality issues. The automotive industry clearly still has a long way to go before it can claim to be meeting consumer demands in this area. CarPlay solves some of these problems in the classical ‘Apple way’ – simplifying the user experience by tightly controlling the ecosystem and functionality. However, in doing so, Apple has left OEMs facing new challenges and uncertainties. The most widely discussed of these is the loss of control, with Apple able to remotely change the functionality and interface of CarPlay with little or no input from OEMs. However, an equally important issue is the fragmented user experience that will emerge from integrating multiple connectivity solutions into a single head unit (CarPlay, MirrorLink, Google, OEM-specific, etc.). Is it possible to create a truly great and singular user experience in the car if we fill head units with multiple closed silos of apps? Do we risk further confusing drivers by giving them too many choices? Few OEMs will be able to resist the pressure to adopt CarPlay – the challenge will be to implement it in a way that complements, rather than damages, the overall ownership experience.”
    "I spent half of my money on Booze, Women and Gambling. The other half I wasted." W.C. Fields

Hidden Content

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    4252 times
    As long as GM sells nav in a car, apple will never be allowed to stream maps to the display, that's just business.

Nav for GM is like the paint protection package a dealer tries to sell you, = PURE PROFIT
    Last edited by glen e; 04-24-2014 at 09:33 AM.
    ronkh likes this.
    here's everything I've done to this car:
    Hidden Content
    Detailing for "non detailers', My Detailing docs: Hidden Content

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6073 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    As long as GM sells nav in a car, apple will never be allowed to stream maps to the display, that's just business.

Nav for GM is like the paint protection package a dealer tries to sell you, = PURE PROFIT
    There may come a day where the lack of dash access to a Google-maps-type NAV may cost GM sales as people move to other vehicles which do have it.

I think it is just a matter of time, and probably not too far away, for that matter.

Is it just wishful thinking on my part?
    glen e likes this.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    2700 times
    Maybe some day we'll have something like Tesla in every car. Basically a car built around a tablet computer......

Name:  2012-tesla-model-s-display-screen.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  396.3 KB
    Mark

2015 Porsche Boxster GTS
    2014 2LT Z51 7sp Coupe (sold)
    2017 F-150 (tow vehicle)
    2015 Porsche Macan S (wife's daily driver)

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    4252 times
    It'll happen......
    here's everything I've done to this car:
    Hidden Content
    Detailing for "non detailers', My Detailing docs: Hidden Content

Mileage
    107,000 (s)miles in Vettes
    Member #
    Liked
    4871 times
    Here it comes... but so far Android appears to be winning the race (pun intended) for new C7 apps.

2014 International CES Gallery: Geeking out with the Corvette Stingray | Corvetteforum
    Current Vettes:
    '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
    '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
    '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust - Ordered on 4-1-2014, 2000 Status on 4-10-2014, TPW 5-12-2014, Built on 5-16-2014, Picked-up at dealership on 5-30-2014
    "Delta t = 23"

Mileage
    ?
    Member #
    Liked
    220 times
    Perhaps I'm just a purist, I prefer no electronics at all, just good, solid mechanical instrumentation, let me decide which sound system I prefer, and a nice set of coil-over Ohlins on all four corners.
    Mobius likes this.
    sure wish I were driving and not working.

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    I'm working on integrating Google Glass now. Media was easy and works awesome but now trying to engineer the HUD...

Member #
    Liked
    233 times
    Meh Hope apple does not get involved.

Big Rock between Venus and Mars (Michigan)
    Mileage
    Not Enough !!
    Member #
    Liked
    515 times
    Quote Originally Posted by urrtoast View Post
    Meh Hope apple does not get involved.
    GM and Apple have already been working together for several years.

Phil Abram, chief infotainment officer, General Motors
    “At GM, we understand that customers want their vehicles to be part of their digital lives. That means that the car integrates with their smartphones and that the car is a member of the broader connected ecosystem. We have worked with Apple over several years to better integrate the iPhone with the in-vehicle experience. GM was the first to introduce Siri Eyes Free mode in a vehicle. CarPlay is an extension and natural evolution in bringing the mobile world and the really mobile world (vehicles) closer together. That is why we are also participating as a founding member of Google’s Open Automotive Alliance and the Car Connectivity Consortium (MirrorLink).”
    "I spent half of my money on Booze, Women and Gambling. The other half I wasted." W.C. Fields

Hidden Content

Sponsored Links