Transparent roof panel..... TOO HOT for Florida! - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Transparent roof panel..... TOO HOT for Florida!

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10555 times
    I have ordered the CRL Static Cling Dot Matrix Window Film and will cut it to form for the transparent panel. I found mixed reviews on the film itself when I researched it. Once it arrives I will post pics and an evaluation.
    rdslon01 and Suzy Cruisy like this.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    You could buy a roll of this stuff and put it on yourself, we have it in the house it works great, easy to put on , outside of the noticeable effect on the sun you wouldn't know it was there. 3M | Sun Control Window Film - Light Slate | Home Depot Canada

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6073 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark JD View Post
    Wow.... all great advice and tips! Thank you everyone!

If I go with a second top option, can I purchase the factory carbon fiber one yet from my Chevy Stealership?

And Glen..... where can I purchase that 3M stuff you mention? On-line, Auto-zone?, body shops??

Maybe I should give that "sun blocker" that BluRay mentions a try? Worth a $30 experiment?

Thanks again everyone.... Time to toss out my cut-up Amazon cardboard box!
    Mark JD, you can buy the carbon fiber top plus hardware (rails, handles, bolts, gaskets, etc.) from your dealership's parts department. The one drawback with getting it now instead of with your car directly from Bowling Green is that now you will have to get it painted yourself. I am not sure how well you can get an exact paint match, even with the "correct" color (you know how hard that can be sometimes).
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    4252 times
    I'd try the blocker before the DI noc...more convienient....google 3m DI-noc, lots of places
    here's everything I've done to this car:
    Hidden Content
    Detailing for "non detailers', My Detailing docs: Hidden Content

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    2700 times
    Quote Originally Posted by C7DriverOnt View Post
    You could buy a roll of this stuff and put it on yourself, we have it in the house it works great, easy to put on , outside of the noticeable effect on the sun you wouldn't know it was there. 3M | Sun Control Window Film - Light Slate | Home Depot Canada
    It's my understanding that the window tint films will not correctly adhere to the polycarbonate. The film above is the same basic stuff a window tint shop would use and they say it can't/shouldn't be done. I would use great caution with any of the adhesive attached films. The perforated static cling materials are supposed to be OK.
    Mark

2015 Porsche Boxster GTS
    2014 2LT Z51 7sp Coupe (sold)
    2017 F-150 (tow vehicle)
    2015 Porsche Macan S (wife's daily driver)

Member #
    Liked
    1835 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark JD View Post
    Hi all...
    I knew this may happen when I ordered the transparent top back in November. Weather was nice back then, but now here in Southwest Florida it is starting to heat up. 91 today! Used the On-star remote start from the Clubhouse at the golf course and the interior was still an oven when I got inside. Ran it for about 10 minutes and the A/C was set at 70. Crystal red was in the sun for about 5 hours, from 8am till 1pm. I guess I should have ordered the solid top when they told me I would have a long wait for the Carbon Fiber top.

Has anyone seen a shade available for the roof panel? I have seen them for the front windshield but not the roof panel (and ordered one today). I also saw that one of the aftermarket suppliers had one in their catalog for the C6. It was held up with suction cups. This afternoon I cut a piece of cardboard to stick up there for as temporary solution, but this is pretty tacky and I really don't want anyone to see it!

Need some suggestions for the HOT topic!
    Mark; I bet those seats were like frying pans! As a small help suggestion until you can block the sunlight: I carry two matching red towels that I lay in the seats of my convertible to keep them from getting too hot in direct sun.

randysandow likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    I went to a custom interior shop and was quoted mid 200's for custom cover wrapped in suede head liner to match my brownstone suede!! Will mount with suction cups... Probably will order....

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10555 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagunavette View Post
    I went to a custom interior shop and was quoted mid 200's for custom cover wrapped in suede head liner to match my brownstone suede!! Will mount with suction cups... Probably will order....

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app
    Interesting solution. Should work well. If you get it please take some pics.
    aka Jeff
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest

Member #
    Liked
    200 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    I'd try the blocker before the DI noc...more convienient....google 3m DI-noc, lots of places
    Did the google today Glen..... Found tons of suppliers.

Thanks,
    Mark

Member #
    Liked
    200 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagunavette View Post
    Hey Laguna...
    I want, I want!!!
    How far are you from Venice/ Sarasota? I will come there and order one with you. Sounds perfect.

I will PM you to get more info.
    Mark JD

2019 Grand Sport Convertible, 3LT, Blade Silver with Adrenaline Red interior. Red calipers, CF dash, GS Heritage pkg., Chrome wheels, Auto, GS Console lid. Delivery date: 12/12/2018

Our other ride:
    2017 Cadillac XT5 Luxury >> Black Diamond Tricoat

Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    I saw some C7 transparent covers on EBay. Not sure what quality they are but you may want to check them out.
    Lime Rock Green
    Z51 3LT
    Jet Black/Kalahari
    Magnetic Ride Control
    Performance Exhaust
    Chrome Wheels
    Stingray Logo Center Cap

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Hm... I wonder if this roof would be too hot for Virginia... mostly I think it would be fine but we do have some hot summers. I love the way it looks though! Planning for my 2015 C7 order later this year.....

Member #
    Liked
    1507 times
    Quote Originally Posted by juliesk View Post
    Hm... I wonder if this roof would be too hot for Virginia... mostly I think it would be fine but we do have some hot summers. I love the way it looks though! Planning for my 2015 C7 order later this year.....
    I had an '84 with the blue roof. It was fine. But then again I was younger and all I cared is that I had a vette
    Raydor and JCobalt like this.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10555 times
    I put up a DIY thread at https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/...sun-guard.html detailing the fitting and use of the static solar film on our transparent panels.
    aka Jeff

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    We now have the transparent top cover. It is made of heavy duty head liner material with cushioning. It adheres to the roof via suction cups for easy install and removal.

DSV Custom Transparent roof shade for C7 Corvette clear top [DSV-C7-Shade] - $139.99 : The Double AA, Corvette and Camaro Modification Products

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links