1835 times
    Thanks Kurt nice report!

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    119 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Thanks Kurt nice report!
    Thanks Chip. Here's answers to your questionnaire.

What was the worst driving habit that you corrected there?

*I'd have to say, hands down, hand position.

How much of what you learned can / could be translated to your off track use of your C-7?

*I think just about everything can apply to street/road driving, especially knowing the ability of the car and how it responds.

What is the most significant thing you learned there?

*For me, I think the tremendous stopping power and control doing it. We don't tend to go out and stomp on the brakes that much to test it. The other thing was how to drive correctly on a track as I haven't done that.

Kurt
    2014 Premier Edition, 473 of 500. Z51, 3LT

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Just finished my first day at spring mountain. I'm exhausted and more than impressed. Didn't know I still had it and tomorrow should be equally satisfying. A must do for anyone who owns a C7 or other sports car. Thank you, thank you. The instructors are, as my C7, just awesome.
    jsvette, elegant and mcginna like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Mileage
    21000+
    Member #
    Liked
    261 times
    Making my first foray into YouTube... unintentionally selected the longest video I had from my road trip :-) (amazingly, this took six hours to upload!!!!) This is a day three open lapping session, with several laps including an instructor ride along. Wish I would have watched my videos while I was there... as I notice that I was early on some of my turn in points. I THOUGHT I was hitting them pretty well, but with looking ahead to the next apex, I didn't notice how early I was. This caused me to get many a turn exit 'push'.
    Area 473 likes this.
    Al K.
    ordered 10/01/2013 - Picked up on Nov 22, 2013
    first - maroon '66 conv 327/300 4 spd w/AC, second - red '84 Z51 coupe auto, third - yellow '03 conv auto, forth - '14 torch red/adrenaline red, 7 spd, 2LT

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10618 times
    Thanks for posting Al. This gives everyone a very good perspective on what to expect in the 3rd day of the course. Well done.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Had a great two days at Spring Mountain, and I have little to add to the earlier posts except about the automatics. I was one out of 20+ students who requested an automatic (having never driven a stick), and a lot of the instruction was based on shifting and heel toe configuration.

While I appreciate the technique, I will never use it, so would have rather spent the time learning more about paddle shift points etc. Even the track lead follow sessions were tailored to the manual shift so while the instructor was calling out gear changes for the manual trannys, I had to interpret them into the different shift range for the Auto.

I would highly recommend that you request an auto if that is what you plan to drive, and I hope the Spring Mountain crew tailors their instruction to the growing group who will never need to heel toe tap the accelerator during a downshift with the advance in technology.

I was disappointed that the one thing that I really had a question about on the automatic transmission was never taught, namely the Launch Control on the auto. I haven't been able to figure that out on my C7 Auto yet. They demonstrated the Launch Control on a C6 Z06 with a manual tranny but never on a C7 and they barely talked about automatics unless I asked about them.

With that said, it still was an amazing experience and one of which I hope every C7 owner takes full advantage.
    Sciros likes this.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10618 times
    Good points mcginna. I hope you shared these with your instructors at Ron Fellows (if you did not have a chance, suggest you complete the feedback form you got with your graduation certificate and pass on your suggestions). I have forwarded this thread url from our forum to the crew at Ron Fellows and expect that they are following the posts here as well.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Mileage
    Not enough
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Mcginna,
    That's a good point. I too, would expect more attention paid to driving an auto with paddle shifter. Learning heal & toe technique is completely unnecessary with an auto. I think maybe we should let them know how we feel, and tell them our decision to attend would depend on more attention to automatics.
    Sent from my Ipad using Sting Ray Corvette Forum
    Velocity Yellow 2LT-Z51 Coupe
    Black Interior
    NPP Exhaust
    Black Wheels
    Red Calipers
    Carbon Flash Stinger
    Carbon Flash Mirrors & Spoiler
    Mag. Ride
    Navigation

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Is it worth doing the 3 day course. Very conflicted.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum
    2014 NRB 3LT Coupe 7sp

Member #
    Liked
    5341 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanb737 View Post

If the cost of the third day is no issue for you then definitely take the third day.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app
    Hidden Content
    Current Corvettes: C7 2017 Grand Sport Coupe, C5 2003 50th Anniversary Vert, C4 1991 Bright Red ZR-1, C2 1963 L88 Grand Sport Roadster

Previous Corvettes: C7 2015 Night Race Blue Coupe, C7 2014 Velocity Yellow Coupe, C6 2013 Night Race Blue GS Vert, C6 2012 Blade Silver Coupe, C5 2004 Lemans Blue Vert, C5 2003 Black Z06, C5 1999 Navy Blue Metallic Vert, C5 1999 Magnetic Red-II, C5 1998 Light Pewter Metallic Coupe, C4 1994 Competition Yellow Vert, C4 1989 Charcoal Metallic Vert, C3 1980 Silver Coupe, C3 1973 Dark Blue Metallic Coupe, C2 1964 Daytona Blue Metallic Coupe, C1 1962 Roman Red Roadster

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Thx what more do you do in the 3rd day.?

2014 NRB 3LT Coupe 7sp

Member #
    Liked
    5341 times
    Thx what more do you do in the 3rd day.?

It's a day to practice everything you learned with most of the day spent on the track. If you book a school, tell them Jeremy Welborn recommend the 3 day. Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    5341 times
    For those going to Spring Mountain at some point in the future, please mention my name (Jeremy Welborn) when you sign up. They have a referral special going and I would like to go back for Level 1, Day 3 and then straight into the Level 2, 2 day class sometime in the next year. I highly recommend the school and would appreciate anyone dropping my name as someone who recommended that you go. It truly is an incredible experience! Thank you!

Mileage
    21000+
    Member #
    Liked
    261 times

With the Chevrolet discount that third day ends up costing $1100. The day is primarily open lapping, so lots of miles and speed ( now that you're used to it) and abuse of brakes and tires on the cars. Guess that's what you're paying for. Some of the folks in our group that only took 2 days, were satisfied with that. But for me, I would have even liked several days MORE on top of the three. (But not at 1100 a day.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app
    Al K.
    ordered 10/01/2013 - Picked up on Nov 22, 2013
    first - maroon '66 conv 327/300 4 spd w/AC, second - red '84 Z51 coupe auto, third - yellow '03 conv auto, forth - '14 torch red/adrenaline red, 7 spd, 2LT

Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Definitely worth the price for 3 days! It is easy to look at the price and say it costs $1100 for the 3rd day, like Al suggested. But I prefer to look at it as a $1745 discount over the normal price of the 3 day event. Without the GM discount $3895, with the GM discount $2150. The third day you will spend more time on the track refining what you were taught during the first two days. Just my opinion!
    jsvette and autoxal like this.
    2010 ZR1
    Crystal Red/Two tone Titanium

2014 Z51 7 speed Convertible
    Laguna Blue/Grey interior/Grey top

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links