Ron Fellows Follow Up- Post-School Impressions - Page 33
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233
Like Tree1244Likes

Thread: Ron Fellows Follow Up- Post-School Impressions

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I can't wait to do this! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Don't be surprised if you are wondering what the heck you are doing their after the first day. My son and I went and they divided the group of 20 students into 2 groups of 10 each. The first group went directly to the track (mine) and the other to the class room. I had no idea what I was doing following a guy I did not know around a track I had never seen. Crazy. I went to bed that first night wondering what I was doing there.

However, the next day the instructor voiced the very concerns I had and it turned out they anticipated our apprehension. They have done this so many times that they know what the students are thinking. Very cool and one of the greatest driving experiences of my life. My 29 year old son was in seventh heaven. Cannot say enough about the professionalism and class of the instructors.

Day three is open track day and you just bomb around making laps. By then, the track is your friend and you are wishing for day 4 ! Good luck.
    UltimateVette likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks very much for the wow details

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    As @tommypaul said, the SM experience is a lot like drinking from a fire hose. Suggest searching YouTube for Spring Mountain Corvette Owners School videos for a preview of the activities... Also, be sure to have a Class 10 SD card and become familiar with operating the PDR to record ALL the training and track events... A 32GB card should capture all the fun times.
    2017 Stingray Watkins Glen Gray, 2LT 7MT Bone Stock
    "Everyone should own a Corvette at least once" - Jerry Reynolds, CarPro USA
    After decades of study, it has become apparent that Murphy was an optimist

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    I just returned home following a two-day Corvette Owner's School at Spring Mountain. I went into day one with an open mind, knowing we would not be spending a lot of time on track the first day, but doing "dynamic vehicle exercises". Our first track experience in the afternoon was a nice. slow cruise around the track, learning the corners, the braking zones, transition areas and the apex curbing. That evening, I will admit to feeling a little apprehension about the next day. Almost to the point of not being able to eat dinner.
    Day two, my group of 10 was first to go to the track. The tempo picked up dramatically on that first run of the day - from 8:00 am until 3:30 pm it was non-stop - track / class / track / class / track / class. The instructors can "read" a class like a book - they build your confidence as they increase the speeds. At the end of the second day, I was proud of myself for improving my performance, while still knowing that I will never be a good enough driver to match the capabilities of the C7 Corvette. At the end of day two, I was also exhausted!
    I have owned and driven Corvettes for 47 years, at least one of every generation, but I have a new-found respect for this latest generation. What a magnificent automobile on the track!
    Name:  IMG_0073.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  109.9 KB

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I have been twice. Went last May with a good friend. This is an incredible program from top to bottom....EVERY corvette owner should go. There is no better way to learn about the features and technology that are in this car.
    jsvette likes this.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    We were at Spring Mountain in April 2015, the spring after buying our 2014 Stingray not long after my retirement. It was an absolutely wonderful experience. And if I trade up to a C8 I will sign up again in a minute!

Yes, parts of the first day were a little bit "slow" doing braking exercises, skid pads, etc., but once you start doing the follow-the-leader runs on the track it becomes an incredible experience. I've always been a somewhat "aggressive" driver, but in my over 50 years of driving I have NEVER had speeding or reckless driving tickets, so yes, I am usually very careful. This was the first time I was ever able to lead a car through its paces.

This is NOT a racetrack with C7s one against the other. You will NOT be able to learn "everything" the car can do at the high speed end, because this is not an oval NASCAR track but a Grand Prix type course instead. But that means you will definitely learn how to handle it in a road course which is more like streets than a NASCAR oval is. My top speeds on the straightaways were around 110 mph. But you will be able to learn how to handle the car much better. Don't expect they will waste time telling you about every screen on the dashboard. That's not what this is about.

All those things you wish you could do with your car on occasion you will be able to do there, within reason. And it is a much safer environment with instructors and without stop signs, traffic lights, and drivers on cross streets or coming at you. If you are in a lower category as far as driving ability... we had one C7 owner that after sliding off the track on the first run, they put an instructor in the car with him the entire time after that to avoid further mistakes, for everyone's safety and to give him better instruction.

I don't know how they do it now, but at the time, the lead instructor drove a Camaro. Several times my wife rode shotgun in that lead Camaro, and she commented how the Camaro's tires would squeal on curves, while our C7's tires right behind them did not. She really enjoyed being there, although she did not take the course, and just went as a (free) observer.

We had been planning a cross country roadtrip and the Spring Mountain course was the excuse to actually kick off the roadtrip. We put our camper at a very fine resort just 4 miles from Spring Mountain and stayed at spring Mountain the one free night.

I have looked at the three-day course, but they included much of the same "basics" as on the two-day owner's course. Add the high expense to that, and decided not to do it for now.

Bottom line: DO IT! I can't think of a reason not to! Phenomenal instructors, a great track layout, and a lot to learn. And like I said, if I trade up to a C8 I will sign up again in a minute!
    jsvette and UltimateVette like this.
    2014 C7 Laguna Blue Convertible with 2LT package and 7 Speed Manual Transmission. Jet Black interior, Black Convertible Top, Z51 Style Black Spoiler, Multi-mode Performance Exhaust, MyLink Navigation. Yeah, it's GORGEOUS!

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Sponsored Links