Manual 7 speed shifting issues survey - Page 2

Poll: Do you have any shifting issue with your 7 speed manual transmission?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Manual 7 speed shifting issues survey

Mileage
    107,000 (s)miles in Vettes
    Member #
    Liked
    4871 times
    I really enjoy the M7, but the one little annoyance that I've learned to live with is the occasional RPM hold (some have called it rev-hang) that Rev Match performs during the 1-2 upshift.

https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/...html#post88040
    https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/...phenomena.html
    https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/...-shifting.html
    https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/...turn-idle.html
    Current Vettes:
    '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
    '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
    '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust - Ordered on 4-1-2014, 2000 Status on 4-10-2014, TPW 5-12-2014, Built on 5-16-2014, Picked-up at dealership on 5-30-2014
    "Delta t = 23"

Mileage
    W&C I & II
    Member #
    Liked
    5615 times
    Like Elegant, I haven't had an issue with cold shifts, either. It's a little bit stiffer when cold, but so is pretty much every car I've owned. But I never feel like I'm forcing or struggling with the 1-2 shift at all. And that includes cold starts in 20 degree weather, with the car sitting outside for several hours before hand.
    Hidden Content
    "SunKissed", my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible
    (One of about 40). >31,000+ miles. Purchased 5/2/2015

Member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out: Hidden Content

My Stingray photos: Hidden Content

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    1060 times
    No issues. Love the M7. Cautions about cold shifting are correct. With practice, no issues getting into 7th gear (used only for cruising 70 MPH in Tour Mode on interstate).
    Shark Gray Metallic Z06, M7, 2LZ, adrenalin red competition seats, CF dash, black wheels/red calipers, dual CF full length stripes Traded on 3/19/15: 2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Convertible 53/550. LRG, Khalahari Top, Brownstone interior, GT Seats, Microfiber inserts, 3LT, Z51, Auto, NPP

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    I have used a Core Shifters modified Hurst for over 6 years, first in my C5 and transferred to my C7, and have found it to be the best combination of short throw and minimal shift effort. Has a more positive feel for making sure gears are fully engaged. With this shifter, never a problem.

Name:  nopattern2.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  235.4 KB

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    430 times
    With about 40K on my C5 Z06 I had a valet tell me I had a problem, the shifter popped out of first gear when he let out the clutch. Ii never ever had it happen to me before or since. I sold the car with 60K+ miles. It was the Valet inability to put it past the notch and into gear not the car.

Conversely, I have had the shifter pop out of gear on me (1st gear at least twice and once out of second) in my current car. With 20K+ miles on the car, is it me or the car? Should I go back to the gym? Should I even worry?

Seriously, I like the new car's shifter. It is appropriately notchy (Less so then the Z06 which is probably the root of my problem). The dual disk clutch however will mildly shutter if I don't engage promptly. Although it’s a better clutch, I prefer the single disk clutch on all my previous cars.

I shift from gear to gear all the way to seventh with little jerkiness (with or without rev-matching on). Plus, this is also the quietest Vette tranny I have ever owned.

All-in-all I have to say this is my favorite manual Vette transmission. I connect better to the car with this tranny then any I’ve owned in the past. And any problem I've noted has more to do with the person doing the shifting then the M7. So, count me as a "NO" vote.

I am not sure why the marketing guys don't promote the M7 more. The M7 gives you more control over the car and AFM then the Auto. I believe the M7 in the Z06 does not provoke the Gas Guzzler tax as well (may be wrong on this one). None the less, experiencing any variation from the posts here ( other then infrequent querkiness of the rev match) should mean a trip to the dealer because its not normal.
    Last edited by Fleet; 06-15-2017 at 07:34 AM.
    2015, Z51 MRC, white Coupe, 3LT Kalahari, 7m since 2/4/15
    03 Z06 Black/Black 12 Years
    89 Z51white/tan coupe 6m 14 Years
    84 white/red coupe 4+3m 4 Year
    84 white/red coupe Auto 1 Year
    80 white/tan coupe 4m 4 Years
    69 427 white/black coupe 4m 10 Years

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I only have 4K miles, but I have never had any problems.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Difficult to shift into 1st since day one. Sometimes you need to push through two notches before first is fully engaged or it will pop out.
    Miss shifts on track when going to 5th. Basically trying to avoid 7th and hit 3rd instead of 5th.
    Pops out of 5th on hard braking on the track.
    Fluid burps on track when it gets hot. After fluid burp there is vacuum in trans after cool down.
    Dealer thinks all this is probably normal.

Lots of rattles and drive train slop when on/off accelerator driving around town.

Mileage
    W&C I & II
    Member #
    Liked
    5615 times
    There is a shifter alignment procedure (see attachment) that the dealer or you (if you're even moderately handy) can perform that might help with the popping out of gear and difficulty engaging first. Haven't heard anyone else talk about fluid burping. Definitely don't think it's normal. I'd find another dealer to talk to.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JoeCT likes this.
    Hidden Content
    "SunKissed", my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible
    (One of about 40). >31,000+ miles. Purchased 5/2/2015

Member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out: Hidden Content

My Stingray photos: Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    336 times

Manual 7 speed shifting issues survey

No problems at 21,000 miles. I do occasionally get the wrong gear. I've learned to check the gear indicator in the DIC before I let the clutch out, if I have any doubt about which gear I am in. I very much like the manual transmission and feel it is a continuation of all the classic Corvettes in years past, including my own '69 with a 4-speed. In my youth, no one would ever admit to driving an automatic.
    Last edited by VietnamVet; 06-29-2018 at 05:14 PM.
    white_out likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    2017 with 6500 miles. I've driven manual transmissions for over 40 years in dozens of vehicles. In a performance vehicle I won't buy anything else. That being said I find the shifter/transmission to be quite a letdown on my Z51. On my other vehicles I might miss a shift once or twice a year if at all. In the Vette if I take a drive of 40 miles or more and don't miss a shift I'm amazed. Installing an MGW shifter and precisely aligning it helped some as did putting some miles on it. The first 4 gears are not a problem. It's 5th through 7th that cause problems especially if I skip gears. It seems to me most of the problems are caused by an overly strong center detent and 4 gates to deal with. The only way I've found to eliminate all missed shifts is to be very deliberate, very slow, and check the gear indicator. Unfortunately that puts quite a dent in driving pleasure. I still wouldn't trade it for an auto though. If Chevrolet ever offers a twin clutch manual I would definitely consider that!

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Just put the MGW into my Z06 M7. Love it. Short throws are crisp, but 6-7 and R require deliberate and more forceful pressure. Coming out of 7, wants to slot to 4. This was also the case pre-MGW, but now it takes more lateral push to hit that rightmost gate.
    elegant likes this.
    2018 Torch Red Z06 Vert - M7
    2013 CRM GS Coupe - M6 with Magnuson SC
    1962 Red 327 350HP Vert - M4

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    There is a shifter alignment procedure (see attachment) that the dealer or you (if you're even moderately handy) can perform that might help with the popping out of gear and difficulty engaging first. Haven't heard anyone else talk about fluid burping. Definitely don't think it's normal. I'd find another dealer to talk to.
    I had issues like grinding into 2nd cold or warm until corvette tech did this and since then, it's been very good. The way I would expect it.
    2019 SGM Z06 M7 Coupe

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    I had occasional very slight grinding and/or balkiness from 1>2 when cold at first, which is common with the Tremecs, but changed fluid last Jan. to Redline D4 synthetic and that seems to have gone away. It at least is an improvement, but never was a glaring fault. Might be just breaking in, though. Never had it pop out of gear. Love the M7 after owning an A8 with TC issues. I voted "no."
    Last edited by iclick; 06-30-2018 at 11:20 AM.
    1966 Big-Block Coupe (NCRS Top Flight) - (1982-2013)
    2013 Base Coupe with QX3 - (2013-2015)
    2015 3LT TR/AR Coupe with ZF1, J6F, NPP, M5U, EYT, CFA, Q7T (2015-2017)
    2017 2LT TR/JB GS Coupe with ERI, EYT, J6F, Q8X, TTY, UQT (2017-)

Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    15,000 miles - no issues whatsoever. I really enjoy holding onto that stickshift, top down, blowing down the road....yeah!!!
    meyerweb and CHeckk6 like this.

Member #
    I too have had issues with 1st gear popping out and the occasional grind when going to 2nd. I thought it was just breaking in too, I only have 15k on my ‘14 Z51. Glad to hear this can be fixed!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links