Manual 7 speed shifting issues survey - Page 3

Poll: Do you have any shifting issue with your 7 speed manual transmission?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Manual 7 speed shifting issues survey

Member #
    Liked
    599 times
    The return spring is a bit too strong, IMO. One needs to be very deliberate with shifts @ the track, especially.

And, my wife complains abt the shifter--but she can still drive it like a champ. ;-)
    elegant and USARocketman like this.
    George B.

* '90 ZR-1 Built 368ci 'Factory Black Motor' (11.0 @ 130.2 & 11.2 @ 132.4) w/ the 368--sprayed 120 shot...
    July 2000 feature & February 2001 article in'Corvette Fever' 448 RWHP on motor, 560+ RWHP on the spray (SAE #s)
    * '16 C7 Z51/7M LB--DE & SCCA Solo weapon
    * '09 Nissan GT-R--SCCA Weapon [email protected]+ 561whp--Mods in full swing... (Sold)
    Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    I like the manual and have had no shifting issues. I changed out the stock leather shifter for a ball knob. That lowered the shifter an inch and I like the way it feels.

The way the gates are set up on it I can't see grabbing 7th instead of 5th, but whatever.

I also drive a C5 with a manual and like the way it shifts too. That one has one of those Hurst short throw shifters on it that everybody complains about but I have had no problems.

Member #
    Liked
    599 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1 View Post
    One needs to be very deliberate with shifts @ the track, especially.
    I should have qualified this: especially when downshifting @ the track is when I find it most difficult to deal with.
    George B.

* '90 ZR-1 Built 368ci 'Factory Black Motor' (11.0 @ 130.2 & 11.2 @ 132.4) w/ the 368--sprayed 120 shot...
    July 2000 feature & February 2001 article in'Corvette Fever' 448 RWHP on motor, 560+ RWHP on the spray (SAE #s)
    * '16 C7 Z51/7M LB--DE & SCCA Solo weapon
    * '09 Nissan GT-R--SCCA Weapon [email protected]+ 561whp--Mods in full swing... (Sold)
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    403 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE View Post
    I replaced the stock shifter with the MGW short throw. Vastly improved. Highly recommended. Not a difficult DIY project.
    I did the same thing.
    911Hunter likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    The C7 is my 12th manual transmission car, and has the best shifting transmission of them all...
    VietnamVet and thrilled like this.
    2017 Stingray Watkins Glen Gray, 2LT 7MT Bone Stock
    "Everyone should own a Corvette at least once" - Jerry Reynolds, CarPro USA
    After decades of study, it has become apparent that Murphy was an optimist

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    No problems with mine.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    No problems 24k miles

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I have been very satisfied. Shifts smooth.

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Skip shift drove me nuts at first. Ended up installing a skip shift eliminator and a MGW shifter. All is good now.

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    I have a ‘17 Z06 7spd, currently with 14k miles.
    As many have noted, cold weather driving <40 degrees outside, will notice occasional difficulties getting into 2nd with occ grind.
    So when it’s cold, I usually go 1-3 until warmed up.
    Summer time never an issue.

As a side note, when I manually rev match (heel-toe), downshifting into 3rd sometimes I have to blip the throttle couple of times to get the rpm up.
    This never happens going down into 2nd.
    I wonder if this is a forced induction issue or lag?
    Curious to hear GrandSport owners with NA motors experiences, since the throttle response should more immediate...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    I now have ~ 12Kmi on my '15 Z51 M7. When new and not being aware of possibility of popping out of 1st gear, and also while being engaged in conversation and not paying attention to 1st gear engagement, the trans did pop out of 1st gear several times. But now being aware of that possibility, I pay more attention to the feel and location of the shift. I may have to re-depress clutch and go back into 1st gear when this occurs about once every two weeks.
    I believe that some of the problems experienced by others when shifting from 1st to 2nd gears when engine is cold, stems from them being too slow and careful when shifting. I get up to ~ 1500 rpm in 1st and then do a quick pull-down to shift into 2nd gear before the rpm can decrease much. No more problems shifting 1st to 2nd when cold. Proviso: I still have on the Cup 2 OEM tires,so my cold weather driving is only at temps >/= to 40 deg. F.

Correction: Today I noticed that my rpm when shifting from 1st to 2nd is 2000rpm. My 1500 rpm estimate yesterday (above) was a bit low.
    I don't know if CAGS will prevent the shift at that rpm, but I have a CAGS bypass installed, so it's no problem.
    Last edited by FrankM; 07-18-2018 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Addition, correction
    2015 Z51 Coupe, 2LT, AW, 7-sp manual w/CAGS bypass, NPP, MSRC, Kalahari, Brembo Red calipers, chrome alloy wheels, NAV/PDR, UPR 2-stage can w/css,
    Weapon X CF Blades, FatMat Mega-Mat installation.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    No problems shifting. Don't get caught with skip shift to often or just shift through it. It is a lot milder (skip shift) then my Challenger. I installed the eliminator on the Challenger. So far on the Vette no issue really. Usually just run the RPM past the issue.
    Mike

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankM View Post
    Now have ~ 12Kmi on my '15 Z51 M7. When new and not being aware of possibility of popping out of 1st gear, and also while being engaged in conversation and not paying attention to 1st gear engagement, the trans did pop out of 1st gear several times. But now being aware of that possibility, I pay more attention to the feel and location of the shift. I may have to re-depress clutch and go back into 1st gear when this occurs about once every two weeks.
    I believe that some of the problems experienced by others when shifting from 1st to 2nd gears when engine is cold, stems from them being too slow and careful when shifting. I get up to ~ 1500 rpm in 1st and then do a quick pull-down to shift into 2nd gear before the rpm can decrease much. No more problems shifting 1st to 2nd when cold. Proviso, I still have on the Cup 2 OEM tires,so my cold weather driving is only at temps >/= to 40 deg. F.
    I’ll try the faster 1-2 shift while the transmission is cold. I have about 2,200 miles on the odometer and noticed the shifter becoming smoother, or maybe I’m just getting more used to it. It certainly is not as smooth as the TR6060 in my CTS-V. Have any of you experienced more smoothness with the TR6070 as time and miles go by?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    I haven't driven a manual in quite some time. With my 2015 Z51, 1-4 is fine. The spring mechanism forces you to be very intentional shifting from 4-5 and not end up in 3rd. Same for 5-6 not ending up in 4th and lastly 6-7 not ending up in 5th. Same situation shifting all these patterns in the reverse sequence. I have only driven it 1,100 miles and 800 of those were interstate bringing it home so I obviously will do my part better as I get more miles in. I love the rev match feature. Particularly useful for someone who hasn't driven manuals in a very long time.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    430 times
    OMG! This is the best MT ever! And I driven quite a few.

"Tell Me It Ain't So"

If the rumors about 2020 are correct, enjoy this MT while you can because it will be the last.
    Z28+23 likes this.
    2015, Z51 MRC, white Coupe, 3LT Kalahari, 7m since 2/4/15
    03 Z06 Black/Black 12 Years
    89 Z51white/tan coupe 6m 14 Years
    84 white/red coupe 4+3m 4 Year
    84 white/red coupe Auto 1 Year
    80 white/tan coupe 4m 4 Years
    69 427 white/black coupe 4m 10 Years

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links