hood stinger stripe - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: hood stinger stripe

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    4252 times
    Clean is good....the z06 has a lot of surface entertainment already....you can gingerbread up this car pretty quickly, IMO...
    tmcternan, BOBSZO6 and Raydor like this.
    here's everything I've done to this car:
    Hidden Content
    Detailing for "non detailers', My Detailing docs: Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Had mine painted on then hood clear coated. Can not feel the edges of the stripe.
    elegant likes this.
    Cyber Gray coupe, red interior, 7 speed Manual, 3LT, competition seats, performance exhaust, Z51

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    But your car isn't really supercharged

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by toccitrucking View Post
    Getting ready to order a 2015 and really would like to get the hood strip.The car will be kept inside and will not be a daily driver,my question is do they have any problems with them peeling?do they fade from being in the sun?can you wax over them with no problems?
    THANKS. AL. .
    The OEM stripes carry with them some advantages over traditional "sign vinyl". While there are some good aftermarket solutions for stripes (if cost is an issue) the OEM stripes have automotive finishes one them. What does this mean? They are adhesive and a vinyl carrier - like the aftermarket solutions but the OEM are actually coated with automotive paint and clear. The carbon flash metallic is the same carbon flash metallic used to paint the vents on the Stingray and have a similar clear coat on them as the painted panels on your car. As a result they can be washed, waxed, polished and generally treated the same as any other painted panel on your car and they carry the OEM warranty.

Traditional "sign vinyl" stripes will also be durable and will resist fading and wear by design but how you can treat the surface will vary by product and manufacturer. They may not hold up as long or look as good over time. The price difference may mean that doesn't matter to some owners.

The OEM stripes have a radius edge that tapers to the painted panel surface so it makes for a very shallow step and they bond very well. These stripes have all been tested through many of the same tests that automotive painted panels go through. They are manufactured by a company who specializes in automotive products. Kay Automotive Graphics is the supplier and they are a carry over from the C6 stripe packages.
    elegant likes this.
    NCM Life Member
    2014 Torch Red Coupe - Born on 10/03/13

Past Corvettes
    2005 Precision Red Coupe - Born on 10/04/2004
    1997 TR Coupe. MN6 19I. Born on 04/15/1997
    1984 Coupe

:seeya
    And yeah, we wave.

Hidden Content

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    4252 times
    Paul - I have really tried to believe all that is written about the OEM stinger, but I have had the OEM stripe ($500) on a premier car sit right next to my Oracal 951 stripe (not sign vinyl) ($150) and I'll be damned if I can tell a diff between the two. Mine going on 1 year old sitting in Florida sun too:
    Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    Paul - I have really tried to believe all that is written about the OEM stinger, but I have had the OEM stripe ($500) on a premier car sit right next to my Oracal 951 stripe (not sign vinyl) ($150) and I'll be damned if I can tell a diff between the two. Mine going on 1 year old sitting in Florida sun too:
    The only reason I bring it up is because I am very familiar with Kay's coating process and the testing process that both Kay and the Corvette team did to evaluate the process and the product. I actually had my C6 full length stripes installed by the exterior design manager for Corvette, the lead for the model shop and the V.P. of Engineering for Kay Automotive so I had a lot of opportunity to talk about the process. Not to say that the some of the aftermarket products won't catch up on durability but they all aren't there yet. I just like to bring some balance to the stripe discussions because in simply talking with the aftermarket vendors "there is no difference" and that simply isn't factual. As someone who has worked for years with vinyl products and adhesives there can be a world of difference between two similar products. Oracal is one of the best alternatives in the business. It is a PVC substrate (which is a 50 or 60 micron vinyl by the way) and their anthracite coating is a good match for Carbon Flash Metallic. It is going to be a very durable product and a similar family as the Kay product. Yet other vendors will offer an Avery product that simply won't hold a candle to it in the long term. You are prone to doing research and finding quality products where others will be drawn to vendors claims and low prices. What it comes down to is the quality of the substrate and the coating process. Looking at two vinyl substrates side by side isn't going to yield the differences in manufacturing.
    Last edited by talon90; 09-22-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    NCM Life Member

Past Corvettes
    1984 Coupe

And yeah, we wave.

Hidden Content

Z06
    Member #
    Liked
    249 times
    Better view from pics I took last Nov. 2013... the CF stinger stripe really looks good on that LB.

Name:  11038352624_be76585949_h.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  911.6 KB

Member #
    Liked
    522 times
    Quote Originally Posted by randysandow View Post
    But your car isn't really supercharged

If you are referring to the Laguna Blue vert. in the pictures, it is the new Z06 and is SUPERCHARGED!

Member #
    Liked
    1835 times
    Paul; Out of curiosity, what is the average life expectancy (with care) of these sorts of OEM vinyl stripe additions? What sort of service life would you expect from the aftermarket vinyl stripe additions today?

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Paul; Out of curiosity, what is the average life expectancy (with care) of these sorts of OEM vinyl stripe additions? What sort of service life would you expect from the aftermarket vinyl stripe additions today?
    The OEM stripes are expected to last 10 years in everyday use. The Oracal that Glen was mentioning is predicted to last 8 years and a traditional sign vinyl would be 5 to 7 years.
    NCM Life Member

Past Corvettes
    1984 Coupe

And yeah, we wave.

Hidden Content

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    4252 times
    Exactly, ill pay 150 for.Eight years for the exact same look and quality, vs 500 for 10 years...we all make diff decisions...
    Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    102 times
    Here's Oracal gloss black....I really don't get concerned about service life for a mod like this, hell for $50 you can just pull it off any time you want and start over with a new one!

Name:  001.JPG
Views: 1965
Size:  1.44 MB

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    Exactly, ill pay 150 for.Eight years for the exact same look and quality, vs 500 for 10 years...we all make diff decisions...
    Yes we do.

The reality is you picked a pretty good stripe but it would be nice if others were able to make that same informed decision. The vast majority of aftermarket stripes are going to be made from a sign vinyl and it would be good for others to know what they were getting (or not getting as the case may be).

Enjoy your stripe.
    NCM Life Member

Past Corvettes
    1984 Coupe

And yeah, we wave.

Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I had my painted on and it only cost $300 and looks factory.

Mileage
    N/A
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    I ordered a Black with Red Stripe. Of course, my car hasn't come in yet so I haven't seen it but the pictures sure look nice.Name:  BLACK RED RS - 2015_chevrolet_corvette_corvette-conv.jpeg
Views: 9730
Size:  68.3 KBName:  BLACK RED RS 2014_chevrolet_corvette_corvette-3.jpeg
Views: 4517
Size:  104.1 KB
    Chip likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links