Power Stop Brake Pads turns Rotors Brown with Rust - Need Solution to fix.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Power Stop Brake Pads turns Rotors Brown with Rust - Need Solution to fix.

Member #
    Liked
    245 times

Power Stop Brake Pads turns Rotors Brown with Rust - Need Solution to fix.

I did a search on Power Stop Brake Pads and it seems to be a lot of threads and I’m trying to narrow down search to my specific concern and not spend tons of time going through a lot of different threads.

My Power Stop Brake Pads turns my Rotors Brown with Rust and I am looking for a Solution to fix outside of changing the Pads. I can live with more dust more than live with rusted rotors on my car as it’s not a good look.

I recall that others had the same concern with Power Stop whereas others didn’t have have the same problem. If someone knows the solution or can point me to the right thread it would be greatly appreciated.

Wasn’t sure which section to post this so I did General Discussion!

Kyle

Some old pictures before going into winter hibernation.

Name:  85CA7D9D-56B3-448A-BD15-C251F1740FDF.jpeg
Views: 503
Size:  637.9 KBName:  55CB5AC0-9A78-48B6-856C-EF7C1D68483F.jpeg
Views: 486
Size:  495.5 KBName:  1B325F4A-B1C7-44A8-A480-E7CC58DB88E4.jpeg
Views: 473
Size:  500.9 KBName:  0331B8A9-E9A4-484C-9B7A-4D956A99F8A3.jpeg
Views: 490
Size:  596.2 KB
    Last edited by kgrant; 03-11-2018 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Added Pictures

Mileage
    W&C I, II, & III, Mileage 31K+
    Member #
    Liked
    14211 times
    I have a different opinion, mine have never turned brown or even left rust on the rotors. Been to the track, have ridden in the rain many times, have left the car wet in the garage when returning in the rain, have never noticed a bit of rust. Have not noticed that either on the dozen or so cars that we have changed out to Powerstops. Sorry you are experiencing this situation.
    warp ten, cutnout, JDMilw and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content

CnC JCS USA USN USMC USCG USAF USAR USNR USMCR USCGR USAFR ARNG ANG USMM NOAA USPHS AUS CSA Police/Fire/EMS/EMT

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

Member: NCM, FSCC, CCCUK

2016 Z06 Black Coupe A8
    1975 L-82 Bright Blue Stingray TT A3

“All Corvettes are high performance… it’s just a matter of degree.”

Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    I just did a google search and found information and it seems that Power Stop is aware of browning or rusting problem by some people and when you call them and send pictures they have sent others a new pair of pads. I assume that perhaps a quality control issues since some have the problem and others do not and they are replacing pads. I’ll call them on Monday and see what happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I have a different opinion, mine have never turned brown or even left rust on the rotors. Been to the track, have ridden in the rain many times, have left the car wet in the garage when returning in the rain, have never noticed a bit of rust. Have not noticed that either on the dozen or so cars that we have changed out to Powerstops. Sorry you are experiencing this situation.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Mileage
    W&C I, II, & III, Mileage 31K+
    Member #
    Liked
    14211 times
    Some personal observances over the last several years of different pads.

On my '10 GS, these were Hawks ceramics.......

Name:  WP_20130515_056.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  219.5 KB

After running at VIR, of the two, the dirtiest are Carbotech ceramics, the cleaner, Powerstops. Wanted to compare, we wiped them clean before running, these shots were taken after the cool down period. On the cleaner, there is a finger swipe bottom dead center of the wheel, just can't see it.

Name:  My wheel.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  320.0 KBName:  Phils wheel.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  292.5 KB

This photo was taken just the other day before a wipe down, was driven in the rain recently with about 400 or so miles. Red outline shows the finger swipe before wipe down.

Name:  0306181658.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  243.4 KB

Yes, kind of touting the Powerstop pads, have had success with it's performance, no complaints from others either.
    Hoping your situation is corrected.
    ALCHMST likes this.
    Hidden Content

CnC JCS USA USN USMC USCG USAF USAR USNR USMCR USCGR USAFR ARNG ANG USMM NOAA USPHS AUS CSA Police/Fire/EMS/EMT

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

Member: NCM, FSCC, CCCUK

2016 Z06 Black Coupe A8
    1975 L-82 Bright Blue Stingray TT A3

“All Corvettes are high performance… it’s just a matter of degree.”

Member #
    Liked
    873 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I have the same experience. No rust or copper deposition (which your "rust" may be, as it has been reported that there may be some copper in the pads). But I have not run them on the track. Just daily driving for about 2,000 miles so far. Still, sorry you are having a problem and I would suggest contacting Powerstop to see if they can offer a solution--Bob
    JDMilw likes this.
    2016 Z06 Long Beach Red #10281 "POPZOH 6"
    --Kalahari, 2LZ, Auto, chrome wheels, body color vents and side skirts
    1995 ZR-1 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN" --Haibeck 350/510hp package, Sold but still running strong
    1993 ZR-1 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING" --Sold but still running strong
    1967 Corvette Coupe --Marlboro Maroon/Saddle 300 HP 4 Speed, Sold in 1977
    ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
    Member of Original ZR-1 Registry
    NCM Lifetime Member
    Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
    "Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Member #
    Liked
    786 times
    I am going with Norm's advice and experience. Charlie aka cutnout
    Norm and DAC17 like this.
    2017 convertible W/Z51, 3LT, auto, chrome wheels, magnetic ride control W/PTM, wifi, remote start, Black Rose, Kalahari/ Black top --Found at a dealer (forum supporter) delivered April 10, 8 miles on the odometer. Charlie

Member #
    Liked
    1048 times
    DETAILS:
    I installed Carbotech ceramic 1521 street pads after months of cleaning my September 2013 built C7 Z51 wheels every ~100 miles or the excess dust with OEM pads not only looked bad it was pitting my Black wheels. Note Carbotech has ~4 other racing pad compounds. The Carbotech 1521's cut the dust ~80 to 85% and most important what was there did not pit my wheels. Had those for 3 years and washed the wheels only when I washed the car.

Because of the low price ($125 on Amazon) I bought PowerStops for my Grand Sport before it arrived at the dealer. After ~900 miles I noticed there was brown "stuff" in the rotor grooves. About the same time a Forum member posted pics of his brown rotors after a year of PowerStop use. But most important to me, after being used to the Carbotech 1521 pads on my Z51 stopping great when cold, the PowerStops were fine when warm/hot but not as good as the Carbotech pads when cold.

I have a somewhat unique requirement as I enter a 4 lane divided highway from my street. Traffic is going ~65/70mph (speed limit 60 mph) and soon after entering I make a turn onto another narrow 2 lane rural road. There is no shoulder or turning lane area. Don't want to force traffic to have to apply their brakes, especially the log trucks on the way to the paper mill some 15 miles away! I apply the brakes very hard and the car stops great and with the Carbotech 1521 pads. I replaced the PowerStops with the more expensive Carbotech 1521's and stopping is as good or even better with the larger brakes than my Z51. Lots of confidence and very uniform peddle modulation feel. This is especially important when there is a car stopped
    on that rural road
    ready to enter the highway! I'm sure some wonder if this Vette traveling very quickly will make the turn in the narrow area next to them! When there is not another car I reach a very high "g" stop without the antilock brake system activing.

Did some investigating and there are several things that can cause rotor discoloration, two of which are copper and iron. Iron is an unwanted "tramp element" that comes with many mined ores. As an example, in my former life in R&D we developed welding fluxes, one ingredient is sand. We purchased that from a local company that had an very large open pit mine. In that same open area there were areas with pure white sand we specified for use, which cost several times the price as the typical brown sand (used for concrete etc) that contained small amounts of iron. For our product we could not tolerate that impurity. In fact they sold much of that white sand to folkswho further refined it for the manufacture of silicon chips! I passed that open pit mine in Thompson Ohio often as it was next to the local Drag Strip I often attended! Was always amazed at the variations in color in the one open pit mine!

We bought the sand with a guaranteed analysis and the plant was required to check samples of each order received. We had a similar situation with another flux ingredient, Bauxite, aluminum oxide ore used to make aluminum. We could have purchased Chinese Bauxite much cheaper than the product from Australia we specified. However it had inconsistent levels of impurities.

This is PDF of my install with more details as to possible contamination. Frankly when you consider that the $125 I paid that included: 1) SC sales tax, 2) although being Prime, it was free shipping to me, UPS covered their costs and made a profit , 3) amazon covered their costs and made a profit, 4) PowerStop covered their costs to transport the product to the US, pay for inventory storage and handling cost and also made a profit; wonder how much is left at the factory in China for QA. Carbotech pads are made in the USA! This is my install PDF with lots more details and issues about copper another element that can cause discoloration: http://netwelding.com/Ceramic_Pads.pdf
    Last edited by Jerry U; 03-11-2018 at 09:42 PM.
    rdslon01 likes this.
    Hidden Content 2017 Grand Sport, M7, Stage 2 Aero, Machined Faced Wheels, 2.5 LT Red Interior with Red Seat Belts
    C7 Carbon Rear Diffuser

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Hi, I have a 17 Grand Sport with painted Z06 wheels. I bought Carbotech 1521 pads. I know a lot of people don't want to spend the money on these pads, because the Powerstops are so much cheaper. There have been so many problems with Chinese products over the years (poisoned pet food, inferior stainless steel that pits and rusts, these are just the tip of the iceberg) If I want to save money I can certainly find other ways. Safety first, buy American. Not going to buy Chinese because of price and just because my wheels will be 10% cleaner than Carbotechs
    rdslon01 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5338 times
    What's the best way to clean the rotor slots?
    Hidden Content
    Current Corvettes: C7 2017 Grand Sport Coupe, C5 2003 50th Anniversary Vert, C4 1991 Bright Red ZR-1, C2 1963 L88 Grand Sport Roadster

Previous Corvettes: C7 2015 Night Race Blue Coupe, C7 2014 Velocity Yellow Coupe, C6 2013 Night Race Blue GS Vert, C6 2012 Blade Silver Coupe, C5 2004 Lemans Blue Vert, C5 2003 Black Z06, C5 1999 Navy Blue Metallic Vert, C5 1999 Magnetic Red-II, C5 1998 Light Pewter Metallic Coupe, C4 1994 Competition Yellow Vert, C4 1989 Charcoal Metallic Vert, C3 1980 Silver Coupe, C3 1973 Dark Blue Metallic Coupe, C2 1964 Daytona Blue Metallic Coupe, C1 1962 Roman Red Roadster

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    407 times
    500 Bucks for a set of brake pads, 3,000 miles on our Powerstops ,No noise, No dust, No brown rotors. Jag, They will replace them if you are not happy.
    16, ZO6 Coupe, Torch Red, 2LZ, Chrome Rims, Jet Black, Auto, Nav, PDR, visable carbon fiber roof, Stage 3 Aero , Keith & Joy

Member #
    Liked
    5338 times
    I love mine...just wondering what the best cleaner for inside the slots is.
    Hidden Content
    Current Corvettes: C7 2017 Grand Sport Coupe, C5 2003 50th Anniversary Vert, C4 1991 Bright Red ZR-1, C2 1963 L88 Grand Sport Roadster

Previous Corvettes: C7 2015 Night Race Blue Coupe, C7 2014 Velocity Yellow Coupe, C6 2013 Night Race Blue GS Vert, C6 2012 Blade Silver Coupe, C5 2004 Lemans Blue Vert, C5 2003 Black Z06, C5 1999 Navy Blue Metallic Vert, C5 1999 Magnetic Red-II, C5 1998 Light Pewter Metallic Coupe, C4 1994 Competition Yellow Vert, C4 1989 Charcoal Metallic Vert, C3 1980 Silver Coupe, C3 1973 Dark Blue Metallic Coupe, C2 1964 Daytona Blue Metallic Coupe, C1 1962 Roman Red Roadster

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    407 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jagamajajaran View Post
    Have you power washed the rotors, I think this will take care of this.
    jagamajajaran likes this.
    16, ZO6 Coupe, Torch Red, 2LZ, Chrome Rims, Jet Black, Auto, Nav, PDR, visable carbon fiber roof, Stage 3 Aero , Keith & Joy

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    1060 times
    I do love and appreciate my PowerStops. Price was not the issue for me, but less brake dust was. Substantial improvement/reduction of brake dust evident after 6k+ miles. No issues, no rust. I am sure that there are many other fine brake pads on the market too.
    Shark Gray Metallic Z06, M7, 2LZ, adrenalin red competition seats, CF dash, black wheels/red calipers, dual CF full length stripes Traded on 3/19/15: 2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Convertible 53/550. LRG, Khalahari Top, Brownstone interior, GT Seats, Microfiber inserts, 3LT, Z51, Auto, NPP

Member #
    Liked
    1048 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jagamajajaran View Post
    This is a pic of what I used when I swapped the PowerStop pads fro Carbotech 1521's after 900 miles.

Name:  IMG_7408.JPG
Views: 305
Size:  2.21 MB
    Bought 1 inch diameter wire brushes for my Dremel tool. Went through several.
    Last edited by Jerry U; 03-18-2018 at 10:57 PM.
    jagamajajaran likes this.
    Hidden Content 2017 Grand Sport, M7, Stage 2 Aero, Machined Faced Wheels, 2.5 LT Red Interior with Red Seat Belts
    C7 Carbon Rear Diffuser

Member #
    Liked
    5338 times
    Thanks, Jerry!
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links