Torque converter shudder
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Torque converter shudder

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Torque converter shudder

Does anyone else experienced a shudder when the C7 shifts from overdrive to passing gear? It is a very hard shudder that makes such a hesitation or shudder that the passenger can feel it. It does not shudder every time but about 80 percent of the time. We went to the Tail of the Dragon this past weekend and it shudders every time while ongoing threw the mountains under all driving conditions. It also does not matter what position my driving dial is positioned in. Any one else with this bug?

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    2700 times
    We are going to need more info to possible help here. A6 or A8, full auto mode only or also when you shift manually?
    Mark

2015 Porsche Boxster GTS
    2014 2LT Z51 7sp Coupe (sold)
    2017 F-150 (tow vehicle)
    2015 Porsche Macan S (wife's daily driver)

Member #
    Liked
    208 times
    Haven't heard of this issue yet, but what you describe sure could be TC....

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    2700 times
    I'm thinking it's more along the lines of the V4 to V8 transition but there is a TSB on the A8 for something similar, we just need more info from the OP.
    Mark

2015 Porsche Boxster GTS
    2014 2LT Z51 7sp Coupe (sold)
    2017 F-150 (tow vehicle)
    2015 Porsche Macan S (wife's daily driver)

Member #
    Liked
    208 times
    Good point. Could very well be, and that could be corrected in the tune.

Member #
    Liked
    1958 times
    I don't believe it will be a TCC (torque converter clutch) shudder. On kickdown the TCC will release if it was applied. TCC shudders typically occur on application, not release.
    1LT Coupe / Crystal Red / Black Int. / 7MT / Navigation / Performance Exhaust (Ordered 03/20/2014)

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    UPDATE...GM sent a program to the dealership here called Maxie Price Chevrolet in Loganville, GA. The mechanic drove it with a laptop hooked up. It showed the problem as the Torque Converter and a module malfunction. So, I am at a dilemma here. We do not want a NEW C7 that has been taken half apart and spread out on a dealership floor. This may sound bad, but my $73 K was spent on a new car. This car has had this problem since we drove it off the lot. We will see how GM treats us. I have owned many Corvettes and will continue to have a few around so I am really counting on some good common sense treatment. I will keep everyone posted.

Supporting Vendor ChevroletCustomerCare's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    612 times
    Hi Vanpounds,

We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing a concern with your 'vette! Please keep us updated on how your visit goes, and let us know if there are any questions we can look into.

Marissa
    Chevrolet Customer Care
    Vanpounds1 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    208 times
    I would not be the least bit concerned about the repair. They wont do anything to diminish value with the repair, in fact just the opposite. As issues pop up and become known that did not, or could not in the testing phase, the fix is generally superior to how the car came from the factory, and it becomes a non-issue in the future if the fix is correct. These are not $250,000 to $1 mil and up hand built supercars, (even though they perform in all areas as well or better than many) these are still a production car with a bargain price tag. Let the dealer do the fix, and report back on the results. If it is successful you will have a car better than another one that may have this issue and need it addressed as well. You will also provide other owners here with valuable info on an issue I have not been aware of until yours, but may rear it's head for others. If you give them ample opportunity to correct an issue and they fail, and or treat you badly, then that would be grounds to demand more for sure.

Good luck and let us all know how it turns out! Cheers!

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerCare View Post
    Hi Vanpounds,

We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing a concern with your 'vette! Please keep us updated on how your visit goes, and let us know if there are any questions we can look into.

Marissa
    Chevrolet Customer Care
    I must say it is very comforting to see Chevy Customer Care is watching this site for issues and is doing everything proactively possible to keep us Vette owners happy. Keep up the good work.

bppie
    Tuner Boost, Vanpounds1 and krauty like this.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I am back to keep everyone informed on the Transmission shudder. We have had an experience with GM and Maxie Price Chevrolet in Loganville, GA. that we could only wish for. The service technician and GM came to the conclusion that the Torque converter and a transmission module needed to be replaced. The next day they decided that it was best to change the transmission and not just the converter. At this point Raleigh and I did not want the car anymore. We negotiated some trade assistance from GM to help us get a new Corvette. First I would like to say that Scott Price at Maxie Price Chevrolet bent over backwards to get us into a new car. Maxie Price had a 2014 Article White 3LT Z51 convertible with Adrenaline red interior and magnetic suspension ride control sitting on the showroom floor. Scott Price help us get into this at an unbelievable price. The car is SWEET...we love it...If you want a new Corvette or any other new vehicle, we will highly recommend Maxie Price Chevrolet.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  788.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  788.5 KB
    Last edited by Vanpounds1; 11-28-2014 at 06:44 PM.
    whchoc1 and V Vette like this.

Member #
    Liked
    208 times
    Now this is where people need to shop for their cars!!! The truly good dealers need our business, and they actually have techs that understand!! Good to here.
    Vanpounds1 and whchoc1 like this.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10383 times
    Glad to read that you are pleased with your new Z51 Vert and how well the dealer and GM treated you.
    Vanpounds1 likes this.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Member #
    I know your last post is over 2 years old but I would like to know if you had any problems with the new 2014 you purchased to replace the one with the shudder issues? I bought a new 2016 Stingray that started having the shudder. The torque converter was replaced 3 weeks ago and now it is doing the same thing again. There is some other procedure the service department is going to do next week that is supposed to fix the issue but we will see what happens. I feel the same way you do about having a new car that has been torn apart for repair twice now. If you don't mind me asking, how did GM help you negotiate on a new one? I loved the car initially but now it is frustrating to drive with the constant shudder.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Transmission shudder and more

Hello all, guess what? I have the same issue and more. First the transmission, always had shifting issues, complained, nothing done. It would not downshift to the correct lower gear when approaching a corner or a stop sign. The when you accelerate, engine speeds up, then shifts down resulting in a good jolt. Now I have the shudder issues, almost all the time at speeds 30 and higher. Very disturbing on smooth roads, entire car vibrates, alarmingly. No check engine light ever came on but OnStar recently sent a message 'immediate attention' regarding engine/transmission. Took to the dealer where I purchased, is still sitting there waiting for when they can get to it. Agree, I now will have a repaired vehicle. A wrecked body or serious mechanical issue, what's the diff, no longer like new. And if that's not enough, gas gauge not working properly, levels constantly change, sometimes can be full and it shows empty. Even with 4 error codes, dealer did not repair, claimed GM would not pay, guessing because it was 'kinda' working. What good are error codes if they are ignored. Am not the only one with this issue. Disappointed in my dealer who claim 'we want to earn your business,' well, they are not trying at all. This (and previous) Corvettes are all special to me and taken care of, hurts to see it sitting outside for days getting filthy dirty. Am sure they will drive it in the rain too. IF I get another Vette, Maxie Price sounds like the place to go. Disappointed on how I am being treated, what good is a warranty anyway. Great way to lose a loyal customer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links