2014 Owners: What has been your experience? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: 2014 Owners: What has been your experience?

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    I've had my 14 Z51 for about a year now, maybe 2,000 miles since purchase, I am the 3rd owner and it had about 31K when I bought it. It had just had new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s (non-run flats) installed and a new Interstate battery.

I think they are gorgeous cars and extremely well built, love my color combo and frankly I haven't seen a color combo I don't like!

Added a few little things like; splash guard upgrades (front & rear), permanent hockey pucks for jacking up, Powerstop ceramic/carbon fiber brake pads, replacement clear vinyl for rear quarter (in front of fender well), battery charging system, indoor cover, NoviStretch nose and mirror covers (for highway trips). and a tray for the compartment behind the center info panel, and the magnetic shock re-calibration (good upgrade).

I've had no issues other then my self inflicted paper towel in the intake f-up. However, when I took her out a few months ago for a Sunday drive I lowered the center info screen to put my wallet in there and after I closed it I started getting some flickering on the screen! Research tells me it is probably an indication of the screen needing replacement. The CARFAX maintenance history reflected that it went in for service for the center screen (about 2015 I think) but I believe they just did a re-flash, not a replacement? Drove it again a few weeks ago (didn't lower the screen) and had no issues??

Thanks for any advise or suggestions on how to address this potential problem.

PS- Love the site, all my upgrades have come from this forum, thank you!!

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Aloha All,

After reading through the thread, recalled a couple of other things worth noting...

I also had the break squeal mentioned by a couple. Started around 10k miles, had it troubleshot by a local dealer, who replaced the pads with a good amount of anti-squeal grease. Squeal came back about 5k miles later and remained an intermittent issue through about 25k miles. The squeal was gone for good at that point, with roughly 15k miles on that set of OEM pads.

Regarding tire wear... Change the original tires at 25k miles, prior to putting the car up for sale, wanted the next owner to at least have a couple/few years before incurring that bill. The OEM Michelins still had a decent amount of tread as well, probably another 3-4k of life left in them I'm guessing. They were replaced with OEM (on the Z51) Michelins.

A'Hui hou all,

Boomah
    twowinns likes this.

Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    19649 times
    Regardless of model year, starting about 2 1/2 year ago, GM instituted a policy that if there is engine or sometimes powertrain related warranty claims, the dealership shall find out how many times the ECU has been programmed, and what was the maximum power generated by the motor at any time. So if I were to have added nitrous to my 2014 or whatever, and blew the trans or the diff, they could ascertain that my maximum power level was “x,” or that my ECU was reprogrammed “y” times. That information is then sent to the Regional Warranty Approval Supervisor before a major powertrain related warranty claim were approved (or denied).
    John

Fortunate owner of "WRP SPD," our Z06! [7M, stage 2+ coupe]. List of mods here:
    Hidden Content

Lifetime & Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum!

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2210 times
    2014 Owners: What has been your experience?

My experience has been great!!!!

Ordered mid Dec 2013. Picked up mid Feb 2014. Have had no issues in @ 25,000 miles. Still have original tires and battery. No complaints. No extended warranty. No regrets.
    Last edited by Boomer; 03-10-2019 at 05:45 PM. Reason: clarity
    Mobius, twowinns and red1996lt4 like this.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Heath-SC View Post
    Bought it $36k with 30,042 miles. It now has 51,650 I came across this flawless 2014 Blade Silver Corvette hiding in the back lot of a Chevrolet Dealer that had all their new hot Z06s & Grand Sports up front. They said it has been sitting on their lot for 2 months because nobody wanted a Base model with a 7-speed manual. Well I sure did. Hour later, I drove her home. Since Iíve owned it Iíve tinted the windows, added a Matte Black vinyl hood stripe, Halltech Cold Air Intake, Carbon Flash Z06 side skirts from ACS, stage 2 rear Spoiler & stage 3 front spoiler from extreamonlinestore, and Z06 quarter rents from GM. Cray Astoria Matte black wheels with Michelin Pilot A/S 3 Pluses. With the good weather in SC I get to drive it almost every day! With zero issues.
    Just an educational question as I have the extended warranty on my Black 2014 Z51 3LT (7700 miles).. Does the ported throttle body, controller, and M2W switch have any effect on warranty or is it something that depends on your dealership? Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I purchased my Black, 7MT, 3LT non-z51 Vette in march of 2014. Barely off the delivery truck. Very cool to be able to remove seat covering and protective film they have in different spots. It had everything I was looking to order: Red Calipers, spoiler, clear roof, manual transmission, black on black. PERFECT
    This car is my DD that now has 41k miles on it at nearly 5 years of ownership. Never tracked the car, just your standard drive to work and occasional weekend drive but nothing heavy.
    Only my second American made car. I fell in love with the new body style of the Camaro first (5th Gen) then the Vette and it was a dream car for me so to own one was wonderful.

Since then there have been some issue:
    - Purchase experience (the absolute worst I have ever had. ruined what should have been an exciting day. not a car specific issue, but just so bad, that to this day it still bothers me a bit)
    - 6 Months in Dashboard sever bubble, they fixed this but new bubble in dash has appeared out of warranty
    - 6 Months end, car will not always go into 1st gear when sitting from a stop. Have to start in 2nd gear. Taken to dealer 4 times and they can never duplicate or find issues.
    I see this issue at least 2 times a week
    - 1 year in the car grinds going from 1st gear to 2nd gear (only 1st to 2nd gear). It is a clear grinding and not just the mechanical sounds of hitting in gear.
    THIS IS EVERY DAY, not every shift but no less than 50% of the time, however, each time I take to the dealer, they do not hear it or think there is a problem. This is very frustrating.
    - 1 year in Infotainment screen dies. The screen motion is connected with ribbon cable that went bad due to usage
    - 2 years in, rear end had major issue 7K worth of repair needed due to a rear end component failure
    - 4 years in, ac compressor is dead, no longer under warranty and quoted $1817.00
    - Not sure when it started, roof noise is crazy, I have used the fix noted on this site with the rubber washer but hear there is actually a dealer fix that can be put in place
    - 4 years in, rear end squeak (not related to roof) that comes from only the rear passenger side that I cannot isolate right now.

While there are some issues, I truly love this car, I love the performance, the look, the driving experience. I like seeing young kids look at my Vette the same way I did when I was young. That excited and cool car look in their eyes. Even after 5 years, it is a head turner. I love the stock exhaust sound with NPP and pipes wide open. I will ofter turn down the radio and just drive to hear it.
    I will not get rid of my baby but there is some frustration with cost to issue ratio for something in this price.
    Mobius, Boomer, twowinns and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2210 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BlckRay View Post
    While there are some issues, I truly love this car
    Yes. Some issues indeed. Quite a list. Longest I've seen. Well put together. That had to be tough to deal with.

Almost feel guilty saying no probs with my 2014 C7.
    twowinns likes this.

Mileage
    27,000+
    Member #
    Liked
    1128 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyder#99 View Post
    I think they are gorgeous cars and extremely well built, love my color combo and frankly I haven't seen a color combo I don't like!

However, when I took her out a few months ago for a Sunday drive I lowered the center info screen to put my wallet in there and after I closed it I started getting some flickering on the screen! Research tells me it is probably an indication of the screen needing replacement. The CARFAX maintenance history reflected that it went in for service for the center screen (about 2015 I think) but I believe they just did a re-flash, not a replacement? Drove it again a few weeks ago (didn't lower the screen) and had no issues??
    I agree, Spyder. They are wonderful cars.

The screen failure is a common 2014 model issue, and I bet you need a replacement. Since it was brought to the dealer to address within the factory warranty period, I’d take it to the dealer again and ask for a replacement now. I bet they will still cover it under warranty.
    Last edited by twowinns; 03-12-2019 at 05:31 PM.
    Spyder#99 likes this.
    2014 Stingray Coupe, Lime Rock Green, 3LT Brownstone, A6, NPP

Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Thank you, Queasyrider. Thatís the biggest reason I havenít upgraded to a Grand Sport. If they ever released another good green color, Iíd be all over that. I would have loved to be at that release at the race track. Thatís a beautiful part of New England.

I grew up in Austin, and they do have some great roads to drive in the Hill Country. The next time youíre in Allen, let me know. Iíll come take you for a ride in a few of the good roads we have in north DFW. I see you live on Long Island. I was there for a few weeks on a work assignment in 1990, and really enjoyed it.
    Iíve always wanted to go back.

BTW.....I failed to mention I found my C7 at a dealer in Colonie, NY (west Albany area). A forum member volunteered to go inspect it and test drive it for me, before I bought it. I flew up a few weeks later to pick it up and drive it back home to Texas. It was a great road trip to get to know the car.
    jsvette likes this.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    I received mine in January 2014, no problems other than the center screen flickering which was a quick repair, still very happy with it, so happy that I’m keeping it in addition to the c8.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    @Blck Ray: the issues you had/having with the 7spd. MT are the subject of a TSB. My car did the same and sometimes popped out of gear. Tech adjusted the linkage and all is fine now. Rear end issue may have been due to a low tranny oil fill from the factory. Also a TSB.Info screen issue seemed to be built into every ‘14.Reflash needed. Mine was covered by the warranty.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I bought my 2014 used, and was disappointed that I had to have the idler pulley replaced within several months. Also, had to fix a buzzing sound in the door. Your post makes me feel guilty even mentioning my 2 problems!

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Took delivery of my Blade Silver 3LT Z51 on April 10, 2014. As the wheels were black I negotiated with the dealer for chrome. They agreed and my brand new C7 went up on a lift for one month at the dealership while the black wheels went to California for chrome plating. In the early days of the C7 generation there were a lot of people clamoring to get a look at it, not so much now that they are much more common. As for problems there have only been two. The first was the filler neck recall which caused the second issue which was the left gas tank fume leak. After the filler neck was replaced I started to smell gas fumes when it was sitting in the garage. After the left gas tank was replaced there were no more gas fumes. In early 2015 I installed Billy Boat Long Tube Headers, X pipe with High Flow Cats (2 not 4) and the Fusion axle back muffler section with the NPP valves. I sounds awesome! In 2018 I went to the dealer to trade it in for a C7 GS but when they told me that I could give them my perfect 4,600 mile 3LT Z51 plus $35,000 for 1LT GS I decided to convert mine to a GS. So it was time to hack the C7 base aperture panels off and install the Z06 aperture panels, rear quarter panels and rear upper bumper fascia. I made mine into a GS and saved $26,000. Current mileage = 7,245 In 2014 I went to the Corvette factory tour in Bowling Green where I saw Americans building the then new C7's while listening to classic rock under a large banner that said "Building Dreams". There is no other product that screamsName:  Vett B-W.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  284.8 KBName:  Vette Continuum.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  112.7 KB America like the Corvette.
    jsvette and joemessman like this.
    2014 Stingray Z51 3LT with Z06 rear body conversion

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I will take it in and see what they say. Thanks for the heads up.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Queasyrider View Post
    @Blck Ray: the issues you had/having with the 7spd. MT are the subject of a TSB. My car did the same and sometimes popped out of gear. Tech adjusted the linkage and all is fine now. Rear end issue may have been due to a low tranny oil fill from the factory. Also a TSB.Info screen issue seemed to be built into every ‘14.Reflash needed. Mine was covered by the warranty.
    I will take it in and see what they say. Thank you

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links