Question about the new GM warranty extension from 3years to 5 years on bumper/bumper
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By C7Flash

Thread: Question about the new GM warranty extension from 3years to 5 years on bumper/bumper

Member #
    Liked
    34 times

Question Question about the new GM warranty extension from 3years to 5 years on bumper/bumper

Does anybody have any experience with acquiring this warranty?

For clarity, I am talking about this one. (I think the correct title is "Extended Limited Warranty". It extends the 3Y/36K bumper to bumper to 5Y/60K)

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-new-extended/

I bought my car on 3/2/19. I specifically asked the dealer about this, they said never heard of it. They tried to sell me their inhouse warranty (really an insurance policy, with so many exceptions as to be almost worthless). I persisted, they went away, and 1/2 hour came back with something they characterized as "GMPP" (which I understand is now called Ally, as they bought it from the GM bankruptcy). This was not the Chevrolet Protection Plan, which is more like the old GMPP. Interestingly, priced same as their inhouse one.

I was tired by then, just wanted out of there, and figured I could go buy it from some other dealer (like Fichner). I call the dealer I had bought my last GMPP on my 2014 Stingray from, and he told me it was a one chance, had to buy at delivery. I said not offered by the dealer, he said GM allows them to do this, i.e. not offer to a purchaser of a new vehicle.

Is that right, i.e. the dealer can refuse to offer, and the customer has no option?

I am interested if anyone has purchased, approximate cost, and can the dealer refuse to offer?
    Last edited by rohard; 03-31-2019 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Clarity
    19 Grand Sport, Sebring Orange, Jet Black 2LT, PDR/Nav, black wheels and carbon flash accents.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I purchased the 5 year bumper to bumper Chevrolet warranty on my 2019 Grand Sport. The dealer promoted this warranty over Ally and the GMPP. The Chevrolet 5 year warranty must be purchased when signing the purchase contract and stays with the vehicle, the others could be cashed in when the vehicle is traded. The cost was $1,700 and I had it included in the financing.
    rohard likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Thank you. I asked my dealer for this warranty by name and was refused. I called Chevrolet (what a waste of time) and they just referred me back to dealer. I think the dealer gave you good advise as to coverage, not sure about cost. The bumper to bumper is much better than ALLY or GMEPP, there are getting to be so many exclusions in the GMEPP that I question it's value.

Why is GM letting dealers treat customers like this? The dealer I bought from tries to sell his "inhouse" warranty (one of those conglomerate's) and won't offer anything else, not even GMEPP.
    19 Grand Sport, Sebring Orange, Jet Black 2LT, PDR/Nav, black wheels and carbon flash accents.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    Actually this is a service agreement not a warranty. Kind of technical but there is a significant legal difference.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    I am trying to get a better understanding of this, so I know if I want to arbitrate my dealer over it. I understand it to be a actual extension of the factory warranty, NOT GMEPP. Right or Wrong?

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by C7Flash View Post
    I purchased the 5 year bumper to bumper Chevrolet warranty on my 2019 Grand Sport. The dealer promoted this warranty over Ally and the GMPP. The Chevrolet 5 year warranty must be purchased when signing the purchase contract and stays with the vehicle, the others could be cashed in when the vehicle is traded. The cost was $1,700 and I had it included in the financing.
    Thanks. A 2 year extension of the GM warranty has value. The GMEPP has a lot of exceptions.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rohard View Post
    I am trying to get a better understanding of this, so I know if I want to arbitrate my dealer over it. I understand it to be a actual extension of the factory warranty, NOT GMEPP. Right or Wrong?
    I would strongly recommend you talk with an expert for a factual answer. Call Dennis Fichtner 406-896-3082 Office Phone, our forum sponsor who deals with the extended warranty.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Sponsored Links