• 1 Post By 15snow-ray

Thread: Broken interior hood release?

Mileage
    On me or the car?
    Member #
    Liked
    765 times

Broken interior hood release?

For the second time in three years apparently the interior hood release latch has broken in my 2015 C7. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Unable to open the hood and i can see and feel where a plastic piece has broken away from the hood release latch. What is also odd is when I last opened the hood it worked fine. Car has been driven a few times but the hood has not been opened in months so I have no idea when it broke. No one else has had access to the car so not an issue with someone else breaking it.
    It's time for it's oil service and that is why i noticed it. Looks like it has to go back to the dealer for the repair and the oil service...
    2015 3LT/Z51 Convertible. Arctic White with Black Top, Black Leather and Sueade interior with white stitching and with Carbon Fiber Tonneau cover. Carbon Flash emblems and Competition Seats.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    937 times
    First time I have even heard of this issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10399 times
    I haven't read of this being an issue. Is there a chance something is out of alignment on yours causing the breakage?
    elegant and Boomer like this.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Mileage
    On me or the car?
    Member #
    Liked
    765 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jsvette View Post
    I haven't read of this being an issue. Is there a chance something is out of alignment on yours causing the breakage?
    Unable to tell as it is difficult to get in there to see. Little tough to contort my body to see up there. Hopefully it will be covered by the extended warranty coverage. Thought it odd because that was the only warranty issue in the record for the car when i bought it in 2016 as a GM exec. car. From what i can see and feel it is just thin plastic parts and they don't feel that hefty to begin with so as much as i hate leaving her with the dealer service department off to the dealer next week..hopefully it's just one of those things that happens.
    Lot's of folks have it a lot worse with issues so if this is the worst i have to deal with I'm a lucky guy.
    2015 3LT/Z51 Convertible. Arctic White with Black Top, Black Leather and Sueade interior with white stitching and with Carbon Fiber Tonneau cover. Carbon Flash emblems and Competition Seats.

Mileage
    On me or the car?
    Member #
    Liked
    765 times
    As a follow up had the car over at the dealer for the hood latch release issue and oil service. Was hoping it would be covered by the extended warranty with my $100. deductible amount. While the hood release cable
    ( one piece with the latch inside the cabin) is only $$62.00. The one hour labor to install adds another $160. an hour to the equation. After checking the service writer was able to get it covered by the "certified pre-owned " warranty at no cost to me. The Mobil 1 oil change was going to run $129.00 however I have a pre-paid maintenance warranty through Chevrolet and after some discussion weather they would cover the entire cost for Mobil 1 they dealership just credited me the difference amounting to about $60.00 and said they will work out with the warranty company...
    Win , win for me. Had to order the replacement hood release cable from back east as none found on the West Coast. So back to get the cable replaced in about a week along with a lunch gift card for my Service Writer for his efforts.
    Spent the morning drooling over a new ZR1 coupe in Arctic White along side a 4K miles used ZR! convertible in Orange on the showroom floor. Was impressed with the Arctic White paint on the car. Really seemed to have a glossier and deeper appearance than my 4 year old Arctic White car. I assume that is the difference in the paint shop.
    Thank goodness i didn't have an extra $140K to spend on a car or that AW ZR1 would be in my garage....
    Which by the way would be were i would be sleeping after my wife figured out why our AW Corvette has a different colored roof...

Oh and I inquired regarding this being the second repair for the broken hood release in three years. Service writer advised he has seen a few of them break but attributes it to basically a cheap plastic part the cracks and breaks away from the cable release latch under the dash...
    Last edited by 15snow-ray; 04-10-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Mileage
    W&C I & II
    Member #
    Liked
    5570 times
    First time I've heard of this, too. My 2015 is almost 4 years old, has > 31,000 miles, and no issues with the hood release. Hope it's fixed for good.
    Boomer likes this.
    Hidden Content
    "SunKissed", my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible
    (One of about 40). >31,000+ miles. Purchased 5/2/2015

Member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out: Hidden Content

My Stingray photos: Hidden Content

Mileage
    On me or the car?
    Member #
    Liked
    765 times
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    First time I've heard of this, too. My 2015 is almost 4 years old, has > 31,000 miles, and no issues with the hood release. Hope it's fixed for good.
    You know i think Jeff maybe on to something as I have always thought it required more effort than it should to operate it. Last weekend i asked another owner of a C7 if I could check his hood release out and operate it and he said sure. His was much smoother and easier than my had been. The first time mine was replaced was when the car was relativity new at 1200 miles and was a GM exec car at the time. Hopefully this replacement will be done and it will operate easier and or smoother than I was experiencing prior to this .
    The parts are plastic attaching the cable to the latch under our dash so i could understand how they could crack or break if experiencing to much force. Honestly never felt that i was forcing it to operate the release but with nothing to compare it to i really did not know what was the norm.

And i might add in case anyone else experiences this . The dealer was able to open the hood for the oil service by pulling the cable with a set of pliers. The failure is occurring at the interior latch contact with the cable. Was also told that the entire cable and latch assembly is one piece and is replaced as such.
    Last edited by 15snow-ray; 04-10-2019 at 04:00 PM.
    Boomer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2208 times
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    First time I've heard of this, too. My 2015 is almost 4 years old, has > 31,000 miles, and no issues with the hood release.
    Same here on my 2014. Since its "the second repair for the broken hood release in three years", unless its been overworked, probably a mechanical issue like Jeff suggested in post 3.

Member #
    Liked
    874 times
    Good that the techs were able to open the hood with a pair of pliers on the cable near the handle. What if it breaks further in? How would they open it I wonder? For the old C4 Corvettes, which not infrequently would fail to open, we had a tool to move the latch mechanism. It as a big enough problem that many outfits sold and still sell them. --Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2016 Z06 Long Beach Red #10281 "POPZOH 6"
    --Kalahari, 2LZ, Auto, chrome wheels, body color vents and side skirts
    1995 ZR-1 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN" --Haibeck 350/510hp package, Sold but still running strong
    1993 ZR-1 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING" --Sold but still running strong
    1967 Corvette Coupe --Marlboro Maroon/Saddle 300 HP 4 Speed, Sold in 1977
    ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
    Member of Original ZR-1 Registry
    NCM Lifetime Member
    Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
    "Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Mileage
    On me or the car?
    Member #
    Liked
    765 times
    Quote Originally Posted by warp ten View Post
    Good that the techs were able to open the hood with a pair of pliers on the cable near the handle. What if it breaks further in? How would they open it I wonder? For the old C4 Corvettes, which not infrequently would fail to open, we had a tool to move the latch mechanism. It as a big enough problem that many outfits sold and still sell them. --Bob
    Interesting tool.. Once I get the car back fixed and i can get it open at will i will look for a back up plan should it happen again.. Your right about being difficult as i believe it latches on both sides of the hood independently. I suspect if it is going to break it is going to be at one end or the other as the likely hood of the cable fraying in the middle is remote. It's the plastic end points where the failure may occur I would think.

Sponsored Links