Stress Crack?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Stress Crack?

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Hey everyone! I own a 16 Z51 and noticed a few days ago a crack on the inside of the windshield. Pic attached. What is odd about it is the fact that there are no signs of an impact, the entire crack is inside the windshield.

Local Chevy dealer took a look and said that it WAS from an impact, even though it left no signs of being struck. It is hard for me to believe that such a thing is possible, but I could be wrong. Anyways, they refused to replace it under warranty claiming it being the result of impact.

I read a lot on here and saw others contacting GM. Long story short, I was told to go to a glass shop. So I did and they (Local Safelite) claimed it did NOT look like an impact. So I called GM back and they escalated it. 2 days go by and GM calls me back and pretty much tells me "We don't know why you were told to go to a third party. We called the dealer and what they say goes. If you REALLY think it isn't impact go to another dealership and get a second opinion." TL;DR, if dealer says grass is purple, it is purple.

What should I do now? Maybe I am all wet and it is impact, but I can't imagine that it would leave no signs of being struck. Do I get a second opinion? Pic attached, is it actually from impact?

Thanks for your help and input!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Beburton94; 04-08-2019 at 09:06 PM.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10389 times
    I seem to recall that there were a small number of C7s that had their windshield crack as a result of a barb or extrusion on the window frame. See https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...indshield.html and especially post #28.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    At this point I'm not really worried about what may or may not have caused it. Dealer and GM are basically telling me to jump. Just wanted opinions on next steps, should I go out of town to a different dealer (only 1 in town), or am I stupid and is it impact based on pics?

Service manager did the pen test and it was all smooth. But claimed it was still impact because of something with the crack I couldn't see.
    Last edited by jsvette; 04-09-2019 at 07:06 AM. Reason: unlike other forums, we maintain a family friendly style; please comply.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    5987 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Beburton94 View Post
    At this point I'm not really worried about what may or may not have caused it. Dealer and GM are basically telling me to go jump. Just wanted opinions on next steps, should I go out of town to a different dealer (only 1 in town), or am I stupid and is it impact based on pics?

Service manager did the pen test and it was all smooth. But claimed it was still impact because of something with the crack I couldn't see.
    From what you wrote, I conclude that something is wrong with the people you dealt with at your local dealership. If I were you, I would not go back there.

Cracked windshields have happened to a lot of C7s. There are many threads on this topic here on the forum. Jeff pointed out a link above.

If I were you, I would go to another dealership where they are competent and honest. If your car is still under warranty, I would expect it to be covered 100% by the warranty.

Make sure they use an OEM windshield, and that it is for a HUD, if you have HUD.
    Last edited by jsvette; 04-09-2019 at 09:02 AM.
    white_out and Mack like this.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Mileage
    On me or the car?
    Member #
    Liked
    761 times
    Just yesterday i ran into another owner at a car show . A 2014 C7 convertible with a similar crack at the top left side of the windshield. Car has 6K miles and is clearly maintained very well. Same description as yours and he is also being told not a warranty issue. He has escalated it as well to Manufacture as the dealer service department is of no help . I believe the dealer said he caused it by grasping the corner of the windshield to assist himself out of the car with the top down. Just ridiculous in my opinion but so typical I am afraid.
    Good luck getting it taken care of.
    2015 3LT/Z51 Convertible. Arctic White with Black Top, Black Leather and Sueade interior with white stitching and with Carbon Fiber Tonneau cover. Carbon Flash emblems and Competition Seats.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Hey everyone! I own a 16 Z51 and noticed a few days ago a crack on the inside of the windshield. Pic attached. What is odd about it is the fact that there are no signs of an impact, the entire crack is inside the windshield.

Local Chevy dealer took a look and said that it WAS from an impact, even though it left no signs of being struck. It is hard for me to believe that such a thing is possible, but I could be wrong. Anyways, they refused to replace it under warranty claiming it being the result of impact.

I read a lot on here and saw others contacting GM. Long story short, I was told to go to a glass shop. So I did and they (Local Safelite) claimed it did NOT look like an impact. So I called GM back and they escalated it. 2 days go by and GM calls me back and pretty much tells me "We don't know why you were told to go to a third party. We called the dealer and what they say goes. If you REALLY think it isn't impact go to another dealership and get a second opinion." TL;DR, if dealer says grass is purple, it is purple.

What should I do now? Maybe I am all wet and it is impact, but I can't imagine that it would leave no signs of being struck. Do I get a second opinion? Pic attached, is it actually from impact?

Thanks for your help and input!
    In the first picture, there does appear to be an impact area right above the rubber gasket. Surprised that Safelite did not agree.

I had an experience with a different make of car where the windshield just unzipped for about 4 inches from the top, at about the middle. The service writer ran his ballpoint pen over it and said it was impact. I said I just was starting to wash it and it ripped open when the water from my hose hit it. He said the flaw was already there, and he could feel it with his "pen test". I took it to Safelite and the tech told me there was no impact. Took it back to the dealer, and this time the service manager confirmed with his ballpoint pen that there was no impact, and OK'd a warranty replacement of the windshield. I found out from an internet forum that this was not uncommon for these particular cars.

In any case, there is a huge amount of built-in stress in tempered glass, and it does not take much to make it rip or explode. Not every service writer is a skilled forensics analyst when it comes to automotive glass, and sometimes you just have to keep trying.
    V Vette likes this.
    2017 Grand Sport, Arctic White with red stinger stripe and carbon flash hash marks. Adrenaline Red leather seats. 2LT, M7, satin black wheels with red stripe, PDR.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    *In the first picture, there does appear to be an impact area right above the rubber gasket. Surprised that Safelite did not agree.*

The Safelite guy went as far as to say that the bubbling under the windshield could even be from the plant, but it wasn't visible till later.

Also the area you mentioned did not show any signs of impact. Can it still crack on the inside from impact without showing any signs of an impact actually occurring?

Additionally, the service manager IS the person who did the test. Got his pen out and everything. Despite it being smooth, still claimed it was impact.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    *In the first picture, there does appear to be an impact area right above the rubber gasket. Surprised that Safelite did not agree.*

The Safelite guy went as far as to say that the bubbling under the windshield could even be from the plant, but it wasn't visible till later.

Also the area you mentioned did not show any signs of impact. Can it still crack on the inside from impact without showing any signs of an impact actually occurring?

Additionally, the service manager IS the person who did the test. Got his pen out and everything. Despite it being smooth, still claimed it was impact.
    At this point, you probably need to find another dealership, as Rodney suggested. An impact from the outside would not create a crack on the inside, as the glass is laminated with a plastic layer in the middle. An impact on the inside would not have happened without your knowing about it.
    2017 Grand Sport, Arctic White with red stinger stripe and carbon flash hash marks. Adrenaline Red leather seats. 2LT, M7, satin black wheels with red stripe, PDR.

Member #
    Liked
    1171 times
    Beburton, welcome to the forum. Funny thing is that I came to the forum initially because I had exactly the same problem with my 15 Z51. Top of the windshield crack with no indentation from an impact. I wanted to see if it was a common thing so lo and behold, there were other members that had the same thing happen to their Stingrays.... no impact top of windshield cracks. Your post is almost like my first post only I investigated before I went to the dealership. I actually printed some of the comments that said it could be caused by windshield tabs and called GM Customer Care first. When I told them where I wanted to take it, they immediately called the dealership before I actually went for them to inspect it. The service manager knew I was coming, I had the proof that others had the same situation and the manager took all of 3 minutes to confirm that it was not hit and that they would call for a replacement windshield immediately and have it covered under warranty. ( I also have that protection in my car insurance policy with no deductible but since it was a defect and still covered under warranty, I did not even think about using that coverage) The called me the next day to schedule me to come in for the OEM replacement HUD capable since I have the 3LT.

My recommendation to you is to call GM Customer Care and tell them about the crack that just showed up with no impact. Tell them the NEW dealership you want to take it to for the inspection and that you have confirmed on our forum that it is a known problem. Then call the NEW dealership and ask for the service manager. Tell them you found the crack, you know it is a unique Stingray problem confirmed on this forum, and that you want the windshield replaced under warranty. They will schedule an inspection for you and if the service manager is good and honest, he/she will confirm and do what they did for me. Don't mention to anyone that you already took it to the dealership that did not want to cover this under warranty... unless the new one can confirm that it was caused by an impact. The dealerships are usually fine with doing warranty work... at least the ones where I am in PA are ok. They actually sub out the install work. All else fails, check your auto policy to see if you are covered through your vehicle insurance.

Good luck in getting this taken care of.
    2015 blade silver Z51 3LT A8 Stingray, jet black interior, competition seats, Z51 style chrome rims. Suntek clear bra, carbon flash metallic custom stinger stripe, side mirrors and rear spoiler.
    1986 two-tone silver over grey C4 survivor coupe with slate blue interior and only 47k miles.

Member #
    I had te same problem with my 2018 C7 in the fifth month I owned it. The dealership didn’ t take any action other than to refer me to a glass shop they routinely use. Here in SC glass replacement doesn’t cost anything with full coverage so I really had no reason to push the issue with the dealership but under different circumstances I would surely have pushed for warranty repairs. There was not a mark on the glass other than the crack.

Member #
    Liked
    102 times
    I see a lot going on there, possible impact zone, etc. But I noticed, like me, you have a CF top. Have you noticed how hot that dark top can get in bright sun after just a few hours? I wonder if the many other fractured cars were sporting a dark roof? This summer I will measure the temp. of my top throughout the day. If possible I will also measure expansion and contraction at some locations; we all know about the squeaking removable top issue as it relates to temperature.....

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10389 times
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalstingray View Post
    I see a lot going on there, possible impact zone, etc. But I noticed, like me, you have a CF top. Have you noticed how hot that dark top can get in bright sun after just a few hours? I wonder if the many other fractured cars were sporting a dark roof? This summer I will measure the temp. of my top throughout the day. If possible I will also measure expansion and contraction at some locations; we all know about the squeaking removable top issue as it relates to temperature.....
    Interesting possibility. While I don't have the CF top, here is some data from my research a few years ago on the transparent roof:

Name:  9979d1405290797-transparent-roof-panel-shade-options-tested-temp-data.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  150.0 KBThe columns on the right side of the table may be of some relevance (the entire study is at https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...html#post63456).
    Last edited by jsvette; 04-11-2019 at 05:29 PM.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Member #
    Liked
    102 times
    Thanks, now I don't have to do this! Lol seriously, your data clearly shows at least a 100 degree increase over ambient temperatures. I will have to look up the coefficient of linear expansion for glass, steel, aluminum, etc. in the area.
    jsvette likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    711 times
    This is a known issue. Mine has been replaced twice all under warranty. Had to do with the locator tabs that locate the windshield when it is installed on the assembly line. Recommendation from GM was to cut off the tabs when installing by hand. It has nothing to do with temps, speed or loads of any kind.
    Several owners have had this happen. A GM field agent visited on the second replacement and found out about the tabs as the issue. All are to be replaced under warranty.
    GM also revised there assembly line installation procedure to ensure correct tab installation prior to the robots installing the windshield.
    Last edited by joemessman; 04-12-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    jsvette likes this.
    2016, 1LT Long Beach Red Metallic Tintcoat, Transparent Roof Panel, Body Color Painted Vents, 8-Speed Paddle, Performance Exhaust, Performance Data Video Recorder with Navigation, 3M Bra, Borla X-Pipe, Build date 10/14/2015, Stage two Spoiler.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Great news all. Other dealership took a look at it and it will be covered under warranty. They could not fathom why the first dealership believed it to be an impact and didn't leave any signs of impact. All is well. Cheers everyone.
    ALCHMST, Racer_X, noxqq and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links