Driving a manual for the first time... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Driving a manual for the first time...

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10610 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Argento View Post
    I have always wondered if ARM works on the up shift. JCar indicated he believes it works both up and down. Does anyone know for sure? I have a M7 and you can hear the engine RPM match on the down shift but I don't hear any RPM change on the up shift. I personally don't use ARM preferring heel and toe.
    ARM works on both up and down shifts. You can find the full description in the Owner's Manual under Manual Transmission: Active Rev Match.
    white_out likes this.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Thanks jsvette.
    It was right there on page 188. Don't know why I never read it. I guess it begs the question, does using ARM provide any benefit for those of us that have driven manuals most of our driving lives. We have all embraced Anti Lock Brakes and Active Handling in our modern cars. For everyday use, I don't see an advantage. Using ARM for track activities would certainly benefit.
    jsvette likes this.
    2016 Z06, 3LZ, Couple, Manual, Long Beach Red, Spice Red Package, 10 Spoke Blade Pearl Nickel wheels.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    371 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfuel View Post
    Hi all!

1. When shifting in a performance setting at a higher RPM (say >4750) in 1st -> 2nd or 2nd -> 3rd, or even 3rd->4th, I have a hard time letting go of the clutch quickly in a way where the shift is remotely considered 'smooth' like I would at a lower rpm. I almost always get a nice bump - which doesn't feel like it could be that great on the drivetrain. Any tips on learning how to improve this or is this just the nature of the beast when driving a manual?

2. Sometimes I get in a situation, especially at 1st/2nd gear at very low speeds (in a parking garage) where I'll get kind of this oscillation/jerkiness back and forth. When I push the clutch in or give it a bit more gas, it stops - but I'm wondering what mechanically is going on and hopefully how to keep it from happening to begin with
    I think by now you have gotten your questions pretty well answered, but I just wanted to reiterate what RoninX said about question #2. They used to call it "driveline snatch", and it is a momentum reaction of your body shifting forward under deceleration and your foot involuntarily pressing on the gas, which, if done rapidly enough, shifts your body back and you let off the gas. At Spring Mountain, with a bunch of nervous/eager drivers trying to slowly wind through the parking area, the instructor had us practice rolling off without any throttle, which is easier with the LT1 than with some other powerplants. Also, you can at any time choose to start out from a dead stop in 2nd gear, with no appreciable clutch wear. By effectively lowering your torque, the feedback loop is dampened.

As for question #1, the performance approach would be to slam the gear as quickly as possible in a vain attempt to keep up with the A8's. The smooth way is to shift more slowly and deliberately, forsaking speed for the audible (Track Mode Exhaust selected) "I am driving a manual, and this is how I upshift" effect. This also involves running up to a higher RPM than necessary, depressing the clutch and shifting, then easing back onto the throttle while slowly re-engaging the clutch. With much practice, you may develop the degree of smoothness that makes bystanders wonder if it is an automatic. (Not really, most people don't know what a manual transmission is to begin with, just as most people are unaware of which of their 4 wheels propels their vehicle).
    2017 Grand Sport, Arctic White with red stinger stripe and carbon flash hash marks. Adrenaline Red leather seats. 2LT, M7, satin black wheels with red stripe, PDR.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    371 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Argento View Post
    Thanks jsvette.
    It was right there on page 188. Don't know why I never read it. I guess it begs the question, does using ARM provide any benefit for those of us that have driven manuals most of our driving lives. We have all embraced Anti Lock Brakes and Active Handling in our modern cars. For everyday use, I don't see an advantage. Using ARM for track activities would certainly benefit.
    I find the rev matching helpful on downshifts, not to make the shift better, but just to hear the exhaust "blat" as I prepare to turn into a corner. Not entirely necessary, but gives me one less thing to do, sort of like not having to advance or retard the ignition timing with a steering wheel lever.
    jsvette and Ateupjoe like this.
    2017 Grand Sport, Arctic White with red stinger stripe and carbon flash hash marks. Adrenaline Red leather seats. 2LT, M7, satin black wheels with red stripe, PDR.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    I hadn't owned a manual transmission in 45 years until I bought my Z51 7M last August. I turn the Rev Match on every time. The more you drive it the more natural it will become. I love the rev match on downshifts and let the transmission brake the car as much as possible. What I have started doing more frequently is starting in 2nd. Particularly if I'm stopped on a downward slope. Drive it and keep grinning.
    jsvette likes this.
    Hidden Content
    2015 Z51 Coupe, Blade Silver, 1LT, Upgraded Red Leather Seats, 7 Speed Manual, Daily Driver

Mileage
    0 waiting
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    I started in A 53 Ford when I was 12.I was self taught.I just watched other people and started doing it myself.Many people never get a manual.Believe me they don’t know what their missing.About burning the clutch,sure it can happen.If it does just get another clutch.
    Make it heavy duty.Enjoy your C7.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links