Grinding noise on clutch release
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Grinding noise on clutch release

Member #
    Liked
    112 times

Grinding noise on clutch release

I have a 2018 Carbon 65 Z06 with the Z07 package that has about 10k miles. I have been getting a grinding noise that seems to come from the shifter area when I release the clutch in first gear. It did not occur very much at first but lately it is occurring every time I drive the car. The car has been in the dealership for 3 weeks now.*Here is a link to a video I recorded with the PDR that I have given to the dealership:

The dealership and GM do not seem to have a clue to what is going on. I guess GM even tried to tell the dealership it was normal before I made the video.*I have owned four C7 Corvettes with three of them being manuals and never had this issue with nearly 40k miles driven between them. Anyone had this problem or maybe know what it is? Starting to get very frustrated with it and any help would be appreciated. Also here is a link showing the Carbon 65 if you are interested. I love the car however this issue really takes away from the enjoyment. Thank you in advance!

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6108 times
    I thought I had heard that before.

After a search:

What do you think?
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rdslon01 View Post
    I thought I had heard that before.

After a search:

What do you think?
    That is the EXACT same problem and sound. Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    From a "Old Motor Head", that I am, it sure sounds like a "Throw-Out Bearing"! You may want to have the car placed on a "rack" and use a "Mechanic Stethoscope" on the "Drive Line Tube" and Clutch Area"! This procedure will help "pin point" the problem area and go from there! Sure sounds "bearing related" to me!

bob109

Mileage
    C7 31,000 miles
    Member #
    Liked
    2859 times
    Definitively a throw out bearing issue.
    frankieb likes this.
    Order placed Sept 16 2014, Roadster, 2LT, Z51 mag ride, 8AT, PDR/NAV. Night Race Blue, Jet Black interior, Red Calipers, Carbon Flash Badges.
    wrapped in Xpel Ultimate, came home Oct 31. Using Range AFM Suppression
    "The Beast"

Gold Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    170 times
    (to my "Old Motor Head" friends bob109 & Milliwatt Rob) For me, these cars have moved so far away from my old greasy fingers and skinned knuckles days. So, I am just going to go out there and show my mechanical ignorance...by asking: Is there even a throw out bearing in these cars? Looking for knowledge.

edit: Google answered my own question. Release/throw out bearing. About a $300 part (plus labor). Known issue with 2014 C7s. Should have look before a public display of lack of knowledge. lol
    Last edited by noxqq; 04-20-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Quote Originally Posted by noxqq View Post
    (to my "Old Motor Head" friends bob109 & Milliwatt Rob) For me, these cars have moved so far away from my old greasy fingers and skinned knuckles days. So, I am just going to go out there and show my mechanical ignorance...by asking: Is there even a throw out bearing in these cars? Looking for knowledge.

edit: Google answered my own question. Release/throw out bearing. About a $300 part (plus labor). Known issue with 2014 C7s. Should have look before a public display of lack of knowledge. lol
    Congratulations on "learning something new" Unfortunately for us "older folks", the new age mechanics have a learning curve! Whenever you go to a Dealer Service Department you'll see more "computer monitors" than hand tools The first thing they look for is a "trouble code"! No code, no problem! Bearing issues and the likes require "good hearing" and that includes listening intently to the owner/customer!

Hoping you can convince the mechanic of your concerns!

Regards and Safe Driving

bob109

Mileage
    C7 31,000 miles
    Member #
    Liked
    2859 times
    As far as I know, the M7 car has a conventional pressure plate clutch. Pressing down on the clutch pedal actuates a hydraulic (master cylinder on the pedal end, slave piston on the clutch end) actuation.. The slave piston pushes a throw out bearing that actuates the clutch. When the bearing is bad, it makes that kind of noise when pushing the pedal.
    Order placed Sept 16 2014, Roadster, 2LT, Z51 mag ride, 8AT, PDR/NAV. Night Race Blue, Jet Black interior, Red Calipers, Carbon Flash Badges.
    wrapped in Xpel Ultimate, came home Oct 31. Using Range AFM Suppression
    "The Beast"

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    370 times
    I’d find it difficult to believe a throw out bearing is bad after 10k miles - yikes! Doesn’t it happen in all gears or only first? Is there any noise releasing the clutch in neutral or does it only happen under load. I think you have to look deeper than a TO bearing. Just my 2 cents.
    Jeff

2015 Crystal Red / Kalahari, Z51,2LT, MSRC, Chrome wheels with black calipers, body color roof, PDR/NAV

Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Thanks for all the replies. According to the guy in the second video with the red Z06 the problem ending up being the master cylinder leaking which caused abnormal wear on the clutch plate which was fixed by the dealership. Took them a couple weeks. I believe they replaced the master cylinder and the clutch plate. He has more info in the comments of the video.

Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JCar View Post
    I’d find it difficult to believe a throw out bearing is bad after 10k miles - yikes! Doesn’t it happen in all gears or only first? Is there any noise releasing the clutch in neutral or does it only happen under load. I think you have to look deeper than a TO bearing. Just my 2 cents.
    It happens mostly in first gear about halfway through the clutch disengagement. It has happened once or twice in second gear as well but that is very rare. It has been progressively getting worse. Used to be about once per week and now it is at least 2 or 3 times every time I drive the car.

Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    From a "Old Motor Head", that I am, it sure sounds like a "Throw-Out Bearing"! You may want to have the car placed on a "rack" and use a "Mechanic Stethoscope" on the "Drive Line Tube" and Clutch Area"! This procedure will help "pin point" the problem area and go from there! Sure sounds "bearing related" to me!

bob109
    Thank you! It seems like if the computer does not tell a tech what the problem is nowadays they have no clue. Gone are the days of a guy that can listen to it and narrow down the problem quickly.

Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
    Definitively a throw out bearing issue.
    Thanks. I will bring that up to the service adviser.

Mileage
    About 42,500 now
    Member #
    Liked
    153 times
    I occasionally have the same problem but it only occurs on a random basis so it is pretty hard to identify the noise and cause. so far I have not been able to recreate the noise when my service guy was with me. video is a good way to document the noise. If it was a mechanical issue like the throw-out bearing, wouldn't the noise occur all the time?
    2014 C7 Z51 Torch Red with "all the stuff"

Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    My Carbon 65 Z06*is still in the shop over this issue. It has been over a month and no progress even after sending them the video and video of other cars having the problem. Can't believe it takes them over a month to fix this. Very disappointed in GM tech support at the moment. You would think that for a Carbon 65 and a guy that has purchased 4 brand new Corvettes they would give it a little priority.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links