• 1 Post By kiksav

Thread: Oil Change Issue

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times

Oil Change Issue

Hello,
    Brought my 2018 Stingray in for my 1st oil change. Drove it around after and every time I came to a stop light there was a smell of burning oil. I just assumed the Tech got some oil on the exhaust pipe or something. Drove for 50 miles hoping the oil would burn off. No luck. I finally brought it back to the dealer a few weeks later. He fully checked it out only to tell me they found nothing. I left and drove another 100 miles or so hoping for the best. No luck. Every stop light I got the same smell. I brought it back to the dealer. He put it back on the lift and showed me that there was absolutely no sign of oil anywhere. He had no idea what could be causing the smell. They were of little help. Anyone out there have a similar issue or have any idea what could be causing this smell? It is most certainly coincidental at best that it occurred after the 1st oil change. The Stingray has about 3500 miles on it.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Mitch

Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    Did they fill it correctly? If you have the dry sump, 9.7 qts, no dry sump 7.0 qts...

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10434 times
    Mitch,

Was the oil over filled? Check your dip stick, and also check to see if oil has been sucked into the air filter. Did you get one of the techs to ride with you to see if they also smell the oil when you come to a stop?
    frankieb and Ateupjoe like this.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6016 times
    Do you have a dry sump oil tank, or is yours a wet sump?

If it is a dry sump tank, then they may have gotten oil down into your cabin air filter area. It is close to the oil fill port on a dry sump tank.

There are also baffles down in the dry sump tank. If they tried to fill the oil too fast, it could have gone into one of the vent lines on the dry sump tank, even if they did not overfill your tank.

Also, as other posters have pointed out above, they may have overfilled your oil and it may be pushing oil out into your intake manifold.

All of the problems mentioned above have been mentioned on the forum multiple times in the past, especially years ago when the cars were newer and oil technicians didn't know what they were doing (the cars were guinea pig at the time).

If you ever find out where the oil has gone that it shouldn't be, and manage to get it all cleaned up, then maybe think about always doing the oil change yourself in the future, or make sure the person doing it is both knowledgeable and trustworthy (which, unfortunately, is sometimes hard to find).
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Not a dry sump. It's a standard Stingray. I just checked the oil level and it is perfect. I had the oil changed as it was a the 1st change and it was free. Brought the car into a very reputable Chevrolet dealer that I have used for years. I didn't ask for the tech to take a ride as I figured if they didn't believe me then I did not belong at the dealer. It's very strange. Only when you stop do you smell it. Its very obvious and there is no doubt a tech would smell it. I'm kind of at a loss on this one.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10434 times
    Mitch is it an automatic or manual? Do you get the smell in the cabin with the windows closed, AC off and recirc on? Highly recommend having a dealer tech ride to (1) confirm the odor (2) possibly identify it as something other than oil- for example, transmission, brakes, etc.
    aka Jeff
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    It's an automatic. Good point about the windows and recirculating. Not exactly sure but I think it smells with both. I will re-check that tomorrow. I'm relatively sure its oil smell. Been at this a long time and feel its an oil smell. Also too coincidental that it occurred after my 1st oil change. Checked all "breather" connections. All seem secure and functioning. Also checked the cabin air filter. Is perfect with no oil residue or anything else. Once again - all suggestions welcomed.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10434 times
    Low probability, but check your brake fluid master cylinder Make sure it is at the proper level and cap on correctly.
    aka Jeff

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    I had this problem with my 2015 wet sump Stingray and found a number of threads on the subject around that time. The odor would occur after every oil change and last for several weeks, gradually tapering off and eventually going away. After reading numerous threads here and on other forums I never found a definitive cause for the odor and finally just accepted it as a C7 quirk. I tried to isolate the odor but never found a source, and could not smell it in the engine compartment or in the rear while the car was running--only from the vents in the interior. The odor doesn't show up nearly as noticeably in my 2017 GS (dry sump), but it still happens.
    1966 Big-Block Coupe (NCRS Top Flight) - (1982-2013)
    2013 Base Coupe with QX3 - (2013-2015)
    2015 3LT TR/AR Coupe with ZF1, J6F, NPP, M5U, EYT, CFA, Q7T (2015-2017)
    2017 2LT TR/JB GS Coupe with ERI, EYT, J6F, Q8X, TTY, UQT (2017-)

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6016 times
    I do my own oil changes. I have never had this problem, but I am tremendously careful about not letting any oil (both old and new) go anywhere other than where it should be.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    In my case there was no spillage anywhere that I could find. One owner claimed he found the culprit, which was residual oil in the area under the filler cap. The fix was to clean that area after the change, but I didn't keep that wet sump car long enough to test that idea for myself.
    1966 Big-Block Coupe (NCRS Top Flight) - (1982-2013)
    2013 Base Coupe with QX3 - (2013-2015)
    2015 3LT TR/AR Coupe with ZF1, J6F, NPP, M5U, EYT, CFA, Q7T (2015-2017)
    2017 2LT TR/JB GS Coupe with ERI, EYT, J6F, Q8X, TTY, UQT (2017-)

Indiana Member of Wabash Valley Corvette Club
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I had the same problem with my 2015. It lasted several hundred miles after each change. I finally drained off a couple of quarts and refilled until the dipstick showed it was full. What I found and which the dealer has since verified is that mine only takes 6 quarts to be 100% full. They said that had seen that in some Silverados, but mine was the first Corvette. All future fills have been 6 quarts with no odor. I just did a change and 1500 miles later all of the dipstick hash marks are covered indicating it is full. My dealer can't explain it, but have verified it.
    2015 2LT A8 NPP Night Race Blue

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Well Folks- the oil smell has finally gone away. I have driven about 700 miles. I have no idea why but as someone posted they had this same issue and it eventually went away. Very strange but at least it doesn't smell at each traffic light. I will update you all after my next oil change. I want to thank everyone who posted to this thread. A definite strange situation.
    jsvette likes this.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10434 times
    Thanks for the update, and more importantly, that you can fully enjoy your C7 again
    aka Jeff

Sponsored Links