Mobil 1 5w-30 and Mobil 1 5w-30 Dexos2? Are there 2 different oils?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By smajicek

Thread: Mobil 1 5w-30 and Mobil 1 5w-30 Dexos2? Are there 2 different oils?

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    846 times

Cool Mobil 1 5w-30 and Mobil 1 5w-30 2Dexos? Are they 2 different oils?

I went to wally world and purchased 2-5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic motor oil for my oil change. after the Oil change I noticed my previous Mobil 1 5w-30 had a Dexos2 trademark logo on it but the one I just purchased and put in my car does not have that label. I did look for that when I was buying it but they just did not have Mobil 1 5w-30 with that logo.

Did I just put the wrong oil in my car and should I change it with Mobil 1 5w-30 with the 2Dexos label on it?
    The left pic is what I used before, the right is what was only available at wallyworld, they both have nascar label on it and this the reason I bought it thinking this is it. wording is all same except 2Dexos not present
    Name:  2019-05-05 18.32.08mobil 1.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  3.06 MB
    Last edited by smajicek; 05-05-2019 at 07:59 PM.
    Thanks Steve Hidden Content
    Ordered from MacMulkin on 1-27-2014, Shipped/En Route 3-6-2014, arrived in Mira Loma 3-20-2014, on its way to my local dealer. Arrived 3-27-2014 Hidden Content
    2014 C7 Velocity Yellow, 3LT, Z51, Auto, CF dash kit, Carbon flash painted mirrors, tail and hood stinger,Black rims, Red Calipers, MRC, NPP, VIN # 1G1YM2D7XE5117615

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6020 times
    The high mileage one is not dexos certified. It is supposedly formulated for engines with over 75,000 miles. It probably won't hurt anything, but I would not have used it.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Can’t imagine there being any difference.
    They’re both synthetic with identical viscosity/weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    The Dexos symbol just means that the oil meets the GM specified performance standards in addition to all the American Petroleum Institute standards.
    2016 Z06, 3LZ, Couple, Manual, Long Beach Red, Spice Red Package, 10 Spoke Blade Pearl Nickel wheels.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    846 times
    Just some readings on this https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintena...urers-oil.html
    Flack from the oil wars: Tom Read, a spokesperson for GM's powertrain technology group, warns that using an alternative oil might diminish performance.

"If a customer uses a non-licensed engine oil that is simply ILSAC GF-5 quality, they will not enjoy the benefits of using a Dexos-licensed product," Read says. Those benefits could include better low-temperature performance, cleaner pistons and better aeration performance, he says. "This could be especially important as the engine oil ages."

Read's case for Dexos sounds compelling, but Valvoline's Smith isn't buying it.

"Our SynPower 5W-20, 5W-30 and DuraBlend 5W-30 went through all the Dexos testing and passed all the requirements," Smith says. "But we felt that carrying the Dexos name was not providing the consumer with any value."

Rather than raise the price of its oil to offset the cost of licensing the Dexos name, Valvoline chose to forgo the license and keep the prices lower, he says.

Smith says that GM's engine-performance warnings are part of its goal to drive consumers to dealerships for their maintenance. "We feel that they are taking choice away from the consumer," he says.

Focus on the Oil Basics
    Setting aside the claims and counter-claims of manufacturer-specified oil superiority, here's all you have to remember: As long as you follow the oil specifications shown in your owner's manual, you have nothing to worry about.

In the event that the dealership tries to void your warranty over the use of non-manufacturer oil, know that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act will protect you. If your vehicle doesn't have an oil specification, you have more flexibility in choosing your product. Finally, make sure you know the proper viscosity for your car and change the oil at the proper interval.

Share:
    Ronald Montoyaby
    As a senior consumer advice editor, Ron helps shoppers navigate car buying. He has plenty of firsthand knowledge since he buys and sells the cars in the Edmunds long-term test fleet. Twitter

View More Maintenance Articles

MORE IN MAINTENANCE
    Should I Fix Up or Trade Up My Old Car?
    100,000-Mile Maintenance Costs for Top-Selling Cars
    5 Tips for Choosing the Right Auto Body Shop
    How Old -- and Dangerous -- Are Your Tires?
    How To Make Sense of Your Car's VIN
    noxqq likes this.
    Thanks Steve Hidden Content
    Ordered from MacMulkin on 1-27-2014, Shipped/En Route 3-6-2014, arrived in Mira Loma 3-20-2014, on its way to my local dealer. Arrived 3-27-2014 Hidden Content
    2014 C7 Velocity Yellow, 3LT, Z51, Auto, CF dash kit, Carbon flash painted mirrors, tail and hood stinger,Black rims, Red Calipers, MRC, NPP, VIN # 1G1YM2D7XE5117615

Mileage
    C7 29,000 miles
    Member #
    Liked
    2856 times
    The oils are different with respect to additives. The high mileage oil contains an additive to swell rubber seals, to reduce potential oil leaks in older, high mileage engines.

I think ExxonMobil makes or has made at least three different 5w-30 versions of Mobil 1, A gasoline version, a high mileage gasoline version, and a diesel version.

And on principle, I oppose the Dexos program. To me, its just a way for GM to collect licensing fees from motor oil marketers.
    Order placed Sept 16 2014, Roadster, 2LT, Z51 mag ride, 8AT, PDR/NAV. Night Race Blue, Jet Black interior, Red Calipers, Carbon Flash Badges.
    wrapped in Xpel Ultimate, came home Oct 31. Using Range AFM Suppression
    "The Beast"

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    Lots of oil hype here. One change of non dexos2 wont end your life or hurt the car, its still better than Dino oil. Lots of arm chair engineers here, I went though all this with my bmw gs, as I switched Rotella T6 5w-30. Rather than $10 per qt dealer castrol synthetic. The Rotella bottle didn't display a spec, then next moth it was on the bottle.

Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smajicek View Post
    I went to wally world and purchased 2-5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic motor oil for my oil change. after the Oil change I noticed my previous Mobil 1 5w-30 had a Dexos2 trademark logo on it but the one I just purchased and put in my car does not have that label. I did look for that when I was buying it but they just did not have Mobil 1 5w-30 with that logo.

Did I just put the wrong oil in my car and should I change it with Mobil 1 5w-30 with the 2Dexos label on it?
    The left pic is what I used before, the right is what was only available at wallyworld, they both have nascar label on it and this the reason I bought it thinking this is it. wording is all same except 2Dexos not present
    Name:  2019-05-05 18.32.08mobil 1.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  3.06 MB
    The swirl in front of Dexos is not a "2". That is dexos1 which is recommended for gasoline engines. Look closely and you will see a "1" in the box with the swirl. If the oil was for diesel engines, the small number to the right of the swirl would be "2". The recommended oil for Corvette engines is dexos1, except the new 0W-40 dexos2 which is an entirely different oil specification.

And now dexos has evolved even further with a GEN2 label for the most recent formula. When buying now, look for dexos1 GEN2 on the shelf because there could be older containers without the GEN2 designation.
    Last edited by 2ndvette; 05-09-2019 at 09:13 PM.

Sponsored Links